Player Discussion Sam Gagner

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don’t think we’re an “undesirable” location. In a league with 30, now 31 teams it’s impossible for us to be in on every one but we’ve signed our fair share of medium profile UFAs over the years. Excluding the hometown guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Garrison we’ve grabbed guys like Demitra, Vrbata, Eriksson, Samuelsson, Malhotra, and Sundin. I’d hardly say we’re being shunned by players around the league. Yes we probably don’t have much chance with most US born guys but that’s really about it.

i've never really thought too much about it but we do seem to be a decent destination for european guys but not too many others don't we?

maybe says something about how a european guy with money wants to live in a city like vancouver while the average north american guy with money wants to live in a mcmansion in the walled-in suburbs of phoenix? or maybe a european guy is less reluctant to pay his damn taxes? idk just saying random stuff here.

i do get that travel is a legitimate concern, though. not so much if you signed with the coyotes but i can certainly see why new york, philly, and boston always have their pick of the UFAs.

(i'm counting manny as a hometown signing because isn't his wife from vic?)

Reactions: mossey3535

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don’t think we’re an “undesirable” location. In a league with 30, now 31 teams it’s impossible for us to be in on every one but we’ve signed our fair share of medium profile UFAs over the years. Excluding the hometown guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Garrison we’ve grabbed guys like Demitra, Vrbata, Eriksson, Samuelsson, Malhotra, and Sundin. I’d hardly say we’re being shunned by players around the league. Yes we probably don’t have much chance with most US born guys but that’s really about it.

The key word in your post is "medium". How many on your list above weren't overpaid? Maybe Malhotra (a 3rd liner at best). Have we EVER signed an actual star player as a UFA?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The key word in your post is "medium". How many on your list above weren't overpaid? Maybe Malhotra (a 3rd liner at best). Have we EVER signed an actual star player as a UFA?

Are any UFA's NOT overpaid??? That's the whole problem with the UFA system. In terms of "star power", Mark Messier was a big one. Gretzky was on the verge of signing in '96 but Quinn botched the negotiations. Mats Sundin more recently. Are those big enough for you? Or are you going to say they were washed up and overpaid at the time? Because show me a UFA "star" that isn't one or both of those two things ...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Are any UFA's NOT overpaid??? That's the whole problem with the UFA system. In terms of "star power", Mark Messier was a big one. Gretzky was on the verge of signing in '96 but Quinn botched the negotiations. Mats Sundin more recently. Are those big enough for you? Or are you going to say they were washed up and overpaid at the time? Because show me a UFA "star" that isn't one or both of those two things ...

Hey, I don't want to ruin your two minute hate; if you want to believe that Vancouver is a preferred destination amongst NHL free agents and the only thing keeping us from signing the really good ones for a competitive price is Lindenning's hopeless bungling then have at it. All I know is what local ex-pros have told me. Canuck pros: close to home. Canuck cons: brutal travel, higher taxes and cost of living, weather and legacy of failure, usually in that order.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hey, I don't want to ruin your two minute hate; if you want to believe that Vancouver is a preferred destination amongst NHL free agents and the only thing keeping us from signing the really good ones for a competitive price is Lindenning's hopeless bungling then have at it. All I know is what local ex-pros have told me. Canuck pros: close to home. Canuck cons: brutal travel, higher taxes and cost of living, weather and legacy of failure, usually in that order.

And I don’t want to rain on your excuse to whine a bit more about the fans on this board. But I never said we were a “preferred” destination, merely that we are in the mix of second tier teams that are frequently in on the medium profile UFAs.

TL;DR Not the best, far from the worst.

Now feel free to get back to whining about something something Gagner something.

Reactions: Peter10

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And I don’t want to rain on your excuse to whine a bit more about the fans on this board. But I never said we were a “preferred” destination, merely that we are in the mix of second tier teams that are frequently in on the medium profile UFAs.

TL;DR Not the best, far from the worst.

Now feel free to get back to whining about something something Gagner something.

This might have been true when we were a good team, but we're pretty unequivocally one of the bottom couple destinations in the NHL right now.

Reactions: Zippgunn

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
This might have been true when we were a good team, but we're pretty unequivocally one of the bottom couple destinations in the NHL right now.

Historically speaking. I'm trying to distinguish the city/destination from the team/management.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
1g 1a for Gagner already today.

27 points through 27 games.

Guy is an nhl player, anyone have any insight why he hasn’t been dealt yet?

Guys like Manning and Garrison being dealt have to wonder why someone would take on Gagner.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
1g 1a for Gagner already today.

27 points through 27 games.

Guy is an nhl player, anyone have any insight why he hasn’t been dealt yet?

Guys like Manning and Garrison being dealt have to wonder why someone would take on Gagner.

It’s Gagner’s contract no?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
...if Sam Gagner came back up for Vancouver, what kind if gongshow would that be? Can't help but think the media would be all over this situation blowing it up.

Has this bridge just been totally burned?

From the outside it wouldn't be surprising. Can't imagine the player would be happy about his treatment from the organization, regardless of whether it was the easiest move for management to pull off or not?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
...if Sam Gagner came back up for Vancouver, what kind if gongshow would that be? Can't help but think the media would be all over this situation blowing it up.

Has this bridge just been totally burned?

From the outside it wouldn't be surprising. Can't imagine the player would be happy about his treatment from the organization, regardless of whether it was the easiest move for management to pull off or not?
Agreed, the bridge is totally burned. Vancouver has treated him poorly. After the second call up when he played well, sending him down was a slap in the face.

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
He cleared waivers.

When he first cleared Waivers, all the teams were trying to make their 23 player roster.

When he got sent down the second time it was due to him not having to deal with Waivers if he went back down before 30 days past.
Exemptions
  1. A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)
There's enough teams out there that would likely pick up Gagner for free but aren't willing to actually pay for him in a trade currently.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gagner is a fringe NHL player that is on the hook for another season at 3 million +. There should be no surprise why another team hasn't traded for him.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Hamhuis left quite a bit of money on the table to come to Vancouver and played very well in his time here for his salary.
Samuelsson also played very well for his salary.
Malhotra was considered an overpayment at the time of signing his deal, but ended up being one of the most important players that season until the unfortunate injury.

Also, a 3rd liner "at best"? Really? He was easily one of the most important players on that team. Kesler won Malhotra's Selke that year.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
When he first cleared Waivers, all the teams were trying to make their 23 player roster.

When he got sent down the second time it was due to him not having to deal with Waivers if he went back down before 30 days past.

There's enough teams out there that would likely pick up Gagner for free but aren't willing to actually pay for him in a trade currently.
He's still owed nearly 5 million dollars. That's pretty skookum for a marginal talent like Sam. Waiver proofs him pretty good I think.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
He's still owed nearly 5 million dollars. That's pretty skookum for a marginal talent like Sam. Waiver proofs him pretty good I think.

Good point. Still for a team like Arizona always trying to be above the cap floor? He's produced enough in past years I could see them picking him up... although yeah even then Coyotes prefer players with big cap hits they don't actually have to pay.

As you've pointed out, his contract makes a trade of Sam Gagner unlikely at the moment unless we retain salary and/or take another worse contract on in response.

I mean... we could also actually play him instead of just tanking his value? Idk :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad