Player Discussion Sam Gagner

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So when Bo was out injured, would you rather have had Gaunce or Granlund playing with Boeser?

Gagner isn't a good hockey player, and he's not someone a contender has on their roster. But for a team bouncing off the rock bottom that isn't going to be an attractive destination for any veteran with actual skill, at least Gagner brought some offensive ability. It's a bad contract and he's a bad player, but considering the situation we are in, at least he has some vision and can complete a pass.

I'm not a fan of Gagner and won't miss him when he's gone, but I really have no issue with Benning overspending to attract any skill he can get until our youngsters can make Vancouver an attractive place to play again for UFAs. Or just let Boeser play with Gaunce, at least he's cheap.

Yes, finally a sane person! I agree he is no superstar but he is a warm body who is expected to pop about 40 points a year who is (this is the important part folks) HAPPY TO PLAY IN VANCOUVER. The legions of idiots who seem to think that all Benning has to do is pick up the phone and sign elite players for cheap don't seem to understand this. Yes, of course he is somewhat overpaid JUST ABOUT EVERY FA VANCOUVER HAS SIGNED IN THE LAST COUPLE OF DECADES HAVE BEEN OVERPAID. Why? Because it is an incentive to come to one of the least preferred teams in the NHL that's why. Folks thinking that all we have to do is beckon "come hither" to the likes of Tavares are truly deluded and when Benning fails to sign guys like him because he won't sign here for ANYTHING (with all things being equal) then suddenly Benning is a useless bum. This isn't Boston where everybody likes to play for lots of excellent reasons, it's the salt mines. Evander Kane MIGHT sign here if we overpay him massively because he's from here and he's a problem child (just what we need; he'll be in rehab by Christmas says I) but anybody else of quality? Forget it. Hence we have players like Gagner on our roster.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The "playing in Vancouver is such a burden" argument isn't just weird because it's a world class city, was/is one of the most winning franchises between 2000-2015, with a softball tossing media crew that treats players like royalty... it's also weird for the following, via 31 Thoughts.

I really liked something the coach said to Daren Millard before a late-season game against Ottawa. Daren asked how hard it must be to get up for those games.

“Every time you play a National Hockey League game, it’s special,” Blashill replied. “Every one of our guys, when their careers are over, will want to come back and play one more game, even in the situation that we are in being out of the playoffs. This isn’t perfect but it’s a National Hockey League game.”

But yes, bless Sam Gagner for allowing hockey to continue existing in this market. Especially when his likely next best alternative option was to play in Kazakhstan. Which maybe isn't a bad thing?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The "playing in Vancouver is such a burden" argument isn't just weird because it's a world class city, was/is one of the most winning franchises between 2000-2015, with a softball tossing media crew that treats players like royalty... it's also weird for the following, via 31 Thoughts.

But yes, bless Sam Gagner for allowing hockey to continue existing in this market. Especially when his likely next best alternative option was to play in Kazakhstan. Which maybe isn't a bad thing?

It's a f***ing joke that anyone thinks this place is any sort of pressure cooker. I lost a lot of respect for Friedman with that nonsense

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I would far rather have had Granlund playing on that top line than Gagner.

Maybe even Gaunce, as I’m still in the camp that thinks he might have done untapped offensive potential.

I might consider Gagner over Dowd as our #1 center... if everything were to irrevocably and insanely pear shaped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hit the post

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Players don't care about whether or not a place is a "world class city". They care about the travel, the taxes, the cost of living and the legacy of the team itself which in Vancouver's case is one of a day late and a dollar short with a strong smell of shame and failure. I've lost track of how many ex-Canucks have said that they were happy to be out of the media/fan pressure cooker that is Vancouver as opposed to (insert name of city not named Toronto or Montreal here). A quick survey of this board should show you the daunting prospect that awaits the new Canuck player; there are maybe a half dozen players on the current team that aren't considered trash by a majority of the fanbase that expresses itself here. We've had to bend over backwards and grossly overpay almost every decent player we have ever had starting with Messier. One local ex-NHLer that I know (as a neighbor) told me he had a chance to sign in Van but flat out refused for most of the reasons stated above (plus he hated Kesler and Burrows). Canucks made him a very solid offer but another team matched it and that was that. When the contract was announced many thought it was a bit rich but then nobody knew about the Canuck offer. It apparently happens a lot with this team. He played his whole career in the east and he figured it added several years to his career thanks to the vastly reduced travel. He also loved the fact that he could go out into the public and nobody knew who he was which is almost impossible in Vancouver.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Players don't care about whether or not a place is a "world class city". They care about the travel, the taxes, the cost of living and the legacy of the team itself which in Vancouver's case is one of a day late and a dollar short with a strong smell of shame and failure. I've lost track of how many ex-Canucks have said that they were happy to be out of the media/fan pressure cooker that is Vancouver as opposed to (insert name of city not named Toronto or Montreal here). A quick survey of this board should show you the daunting prospect that awaits the new Canuck player; there are maybe a half dozen players on the current team that aren't considered trash by a majority of the fanbase that expresses itself here. We've had to bend over backwards and grossly overpay almost every decent player we have ever had starting with Messier. One local ex-NHLer that I know (as a neighbor) told me he had a chance to sign in Van but flat out refused for most of the reasons stated above (plus he hated Kesler and Burrows). Canucks made him a very solid offer but another team matched it and that was that. When the contract was announced many thought it was a bit rich but then nobody knew about the Canuck offer. It apparently happens a lot with this team. He played his whole career in the east and he figured it added several years to his career thanks to the vastly reduced travel. He also loved the fact that he could go out into the public and nobody knew who he was which is almost impossible in Vancouver.

You’ve lost count? So either you should be able to list a couple dozen off the top of your head or else we get to laugh at your basic arithmetic skills.

Remember, hockey players not NBA players.

Aaaaaaand go ...

Reactions: geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think Vancouver was or is an attractive UFA destination. We're not bad, we're just not the top. We could have signed Gretzky and did sign Messier but we basically offered the most. We also signed Sundin by offering the most. We were Shane Doan's 2nd choice but again we offered the most (more than what he signed for). We were able to sign Hamhuis and Garrison (also offered him an extra year) because we had the home town connection. If we offered Evander Kane the most, he might end up signing here.

The Swedes love us though. We're a top 3-5 NHL cities for Swedes.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I don't think Vancouver was or is an attractive UFA destination. We're not bad, we're just not the top. We could have signed Gretzky and did sign Messier but we basically offered the most. We also signed Sundin by offering the most. We were Shane Doan's 2nd choice but again we offered the most (more than what he signed for). We were able to sign Hamhuis and Garrison (also offered him an extra year) because we had the home town connection. If we offered Evander Kane the most, he might end up signing here.

The Swedes love us though. We're a top 3-5 NHL cities for Swedes.
That generally applies to most UFA's so with respect to many sports teams though. Offer that athlete enough money, and they'll sign much of the time. Sure the status of the club affects the decision somewhat (but not all the time obviously as just look at the reason why Forsberg never signed here despite the presence of his "best friend" on the team during the peak of the WCE).

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You’ve lost count? So either you should be able to list a couple dozen off the top of your head or else we get to laugh at your basic arithmetic skills.

Remember, hockey players not NBA players.

Aaaaaaand go ...

Hey if you think I'm going to say "How high?" every time you say "Jump" you are sadly mistaken. I won't burn a calorie trying to convince you of anything because it would be a waste of a calorie.

Reactions: F A N

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hey if you think I'm going to say "How high?" every time you say "Jump" you are sadly mistaken. I won't burn a calorie trying to convince you of anything because it would be a waste of a calorie.

No worries, I didn’t expect you could actually back it up. Just wanted to make you admit it.

Reactions: geebaan

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes, finally a sane person! I agree he is no superstar but he is a warm body who is expected to pop about 40 points a year who is (this is the important part folks) HAPPY TO PLAY IN VANCOUVER. The legions of idiots who seem to think that all Benning has to do is pick up the phone and sign elite players for cheap don't seem to understand this. Yes, of course he is somewhat overpaid JUST ABOUT EVERY FA VANCOUVER HAS SIGNED IN THE LAST COUPLE OF DECADES HAVE BEEN OVERPAID. Why? Because it is an incentive to come to one of the least preferred teams in the NHL that's why. Folks thinking that all we have to do is beckon "come hither" to the likes of Tavares are truly deluded and when Benning fails to sign guys like him because he won't sign here for ANYTHING (with all things being equal) then suddenly Benning is a useless bum. This isn't Boston where everybody likes to play for lots of excellent reasons, it's the salt mines. Evander Kane MIGHT sign here if we overpay him massively because he's from here and he's a problem child (just what we need; he'll be in rehab by Christmas says I) but anybody else of quality? Forget it. Hence we have players like Gagner on our roster.
Exactly

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Just an FYI. 75% + OF UFAs are overpaid in varying degrees. I am probably being generous. The only time you win with a UFA is if you catch lightning in a bottle chemistry wise, or you grab a guy at a reasonable rate who exceeds expectations.

Most guys you sign for big money have to basically duplicate career years past their prime. The money someone like Eriksson signed for, he wasn't going to justify his contract from day one without maximum performance and a little more.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's a ****ing joke that anyone thinks this place is any sort of pressure cooker. I lost a lot of respect for Friedman with that nonsense
Most of that is based Linden and Benning being unable to process what was happening around them.

reality: team sucks and bad constructed, struggling or getting worse

Lindenning's mind: well constructed team. Playoff team. Getting better every year.

Media: results are in: team sucks

Lindenning: can't you see what a great team we have assembled, we did a great job, we made no mistakes. So why you so negative? You are only saying it sucks because you are trying to cause trouble. I hate this market.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Jimbo this is a "make-or-break' year for guys like Baertschi or Granlund....but they're RFA's with little leverage and there's no way they're going to come close to earning Gagner's $3m a season....and frankly he can't carry a candle to either to those two guys five-on-five...and of course Gagner is now solidly in the way of other young wingers cracking the lineup. An awful signing, that looks even worse when you contemplate that they're stuck with the contract for two more seasons.

Reactions: Peter10

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That generally applies to most UFA's so with respect to many sports teams though. Offer that athlete enough money, and they'll sign much of the time. Sure the status of the club affects the decision somewhat (but not all the time obviously as just look at the reason why Forsberg never signed here despite the presence of his "best friend" on the team during the peak of the WCE).

I think it applies less to sports with a salary cap where the difference in the offer isn't that significant. Take Stamkos. There is no doubt that he left money on the table. I bet that even if we offered him the max he wouldn't come here. The same probably applies to Tavares.

The point is that I don't think Vancouver was somehow like a top destination for free agents when we were winning and now it's not. Guys who want to go to winning teams of course would choose winning teams. But at the end of the day, it's not like we were able to get free agents who weren't from here to accept less to come here. And let's face it, Beautiful British Columbia is pretty wet during 90% the hockey season.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Can't they both be true?

Can't Benning be a useless bum (apart from his drafting) and Vancouver be a undesirable location for FAs?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don’t think we’re an “undesirable” location. In a league with 30, now 31 teams it’s impossible for us to be in on every one but we’ve signed our fair share of medium profile UFAs over the years. Excluding the hometown guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Garrison we’ve grabbed guys like Demitra, Vrbata, Eriksson, Samuelsson, Malhotra, and Sundin. I’d hardly say we’re being shunned by players around the league. Yes we probably don’t have much chance with most US born guys but that’s really about it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t think we’re an “undesirable” location. In a league with 30, now 31 teams it’s impossible for us to be in on every one but we’ve signed our fair share of medium profile UFAs over the years. Excluding the hometown guys like Hamhuis, Mitchell, and Garrison we’ve grabbed guys like Demitra, Vrbata, Eriksson, Samuelsson, Malhotra, and Sundin. I’d hardly say we’re being shunned by players around the league. Yes we probably don’t have much chance with most US born guys but that’s really about it.

We are definitely not an undesirable location. But there is the fact that there are more Ontario and Alberta raised players than there are BC raised players. It's hard to convince guys who are from out east and playing out east to come out to the west and Alberta boys seem to prefer Alberta over us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We are definitely not an undesirable location. But there is the fact that there are more Ontario and Alberta raised players than there are BC raised players. It's hard to convince guys who are from out east and playing out east to come out to the west and Alberta boys seem to prefer Alberta over us.

Sure, when hometown factors in then that makes sense. And Toronto has made hay on that in the past, though largely to poor results (Tucker, Corson, Roberts). Overall money/term, team systems, team quality, and promised role would play a much bigger role in a team's ability to attract UFA's than anything else. Outside of a few large US markets, I think we're in the next tier of teams that seems to be in on a decent number of UFAs. Which is fine, I wouldn't expect us to be any higher or any lower.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->