Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Kinda explains why Calgary is so bad :(.

They’re not that bad. And Lindholm is arguably a better C than Bennett.

Calgary gambled on Monahan being better than he has become - understandable given his performance before hitting 25. The Flames just didn’t have room for Bennett as a top 6 C. And they didn’t really have the cap room either.

Even without Bennett they’re likely not going to be able to sign Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Magiapane to new deals without moving out other pieces.

I think Bennett will be a solid top-6 C.He just wasn’t a fit on the Flames.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
sammmmm-jpg.474107

TFW new memes are born.

41AUw0wNduL._AC_SX450_.jpg

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I believe that Bennett may not end up as a PPG player with his impressive pace of 27 points in 23 games.

However I fully believe he has a chance to score 30 goals in the NHL and be a 30/30 guy.

I wanted him so bad on Pittsburgh and now I want him more.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I cringe as a Leafs fan, knowing our idiot paid a 1st for a few weeks of Foligno, when the cost for Bennett was less and he's still under team control.

Lmao at the idiots who think this is still just a hot streak. Bennett is a helluva player, and I'm thrilled for him and the Panthers

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I cringe as a Leafs fan, knowing our idiot paid a 1st for a few weeks of Foligno, when the cost for Bennett was less and he's still under team control.

Lmao at the idiots who think this is still just a hot streak. Bennett is a helluva player, and I'm thrilled for him and the Panthers
These two things can be true at the same time. Bennett very likely is not an 82~ point player. And that's OK. He is an incredible bargain at 20G - 20+A.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
These two things can be true at the same time. Bennett very likely is not an 82~ point player. And that's OK. He is an incredible bargain at 20G - 20+A.

I think as long as he's with Huberdeau we're looking at a 60pt player minimum.

But I do agree with your point

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why did this thread have to be ongoing right now? You just know Monahan's going to explode for a hattrick versus my Pens tonight.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

Ya but there's much less of a chance Bennet joins the Leafs and turns it around suddenly.

It's become the Panthers MO over the last couple seasons. Bringing in castaways and misfits and turning them into legit players. See: Duclair, Forsling, Verhaeghe etc.

He'd probably be dog shit on the Leafs just like Foligno was lol

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Agreed.

I'm fine with saying Huberdeau is a superior passer. But they bring different elements to the table and it is incredibly unfair to evaluate them on the same page. It's apples and oranges.

Bergeron might not outscore Marchand or even Pastrnak, but is he not a crucial part of the Perfection Line for the things HE brings?

Same deal here.

Huberdeau and Bennett are a match made in heaven. So were Gaudreau and Centre-Bennett but the Flames were dumb. Kudos to Tippett for completing their line, and Tippett should probably only get better playing with these two, as Pastrnak did.

Bennett is a very good hockey player. If he's not the best playmaker on his line, that's not a knock on him.
And I'm fine with saying shrimp is the best crustacean even though we all know that isn't true.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Coming back down to earth? 6 points in his last 15 despite getting consistent top six minutes.

Sorry Bennett, shouldn't have picked you in my hockey pool.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Coming back down to earth? 6 points in his last 15 despite getting consistent top six minutes.

Sorry Bennett, shouldn't have picked you in my hockey pool.

Puck luck normalizing a bit. He's been all around it but incredibly snakebitten. He's got 58 shots in that span and is +5, with 41 shots in his last 9 games (4+ shots in 8 of those 9 games)

Reactions: Dominance

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Coming back down a bit. Probably more of a ~50pt player long term rather than the 70-80pt player some were claiming here

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Coming back down a bit. Probably more of a ~50pt player long term rather than the 70-80pt player some were claiming here
Not so sure about that - I still think he's pegged for 65-75 points in a healthy year.

His 5v5 IPP is a laughably low 33% (and still only 43% at all strengths). Realistically those numbers should be anywhere from 60-80%, so he's due for some pretty massive upward regression. But it was due to come down some - his 5v5 IPP was 100% last year with Florida.

If you combine his totals from this year and last you probably get a better idea of where he should be (28p in 31gp).

He's currently posting a monster 64.1% xGF% as a Panther.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad