Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's just as good as Huby when he is with Huby. I'm sure Huby on Calgary fourth line next to Lucic would have been just as good as Bennett was.

Yes they are dynamite together, but Bennett is not on Huby's level. Huby is leading the best offense in the league in scoring and he's not even trying right now.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Bennett's best winger that he's ever played with in Calgary was Jagr and they actually had chemistry together until Jagr quit on the team. :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's just as good as Huby when he is with Huby. I'm sure Huby on Calgary fourth line next to Lucic would have been just as good as Bennett was.

Agreed.

I'm fine with saying Huberdeau is a superior passer. But they bring different elements to the table and it is incredibly unfair to evaluate them on the same page. It's apples and oranges.

Bergeron might not outscore Marchand or even Pastrnak, but is he not a crucial part of the Perfection Line for the things HE brings?

Same deal here.

Huberdeau and Bennett are a match made in heaven. So were Gaudreau and Centre-Bennett but the Flames were dumb. Kudos to Tippett for completing their line, and Tippett should probably only get better playing with these two, as Pastrnak did.

Bennett is a very good hockey player. If he's not the best playmaker on his line, that's not a knock on him.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Good player in a good team looks much better than good player in a bad team.

Just like sunshine looks different than dawn.

Calgary just is dark place for anything talent related.
giphy (4) (21).gif

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
"He's not even trying"

BTW best offense in the league right now belongs to the Flyers goals per game wise

Have you watched the Panthers? The Huby line hasn't even really heated up yet, and Huby still isn't playing up to "Huby level". He's also a notorious slow starter. In 5-10 games he'll be scoring at a higher pace.

A couple days ago, Panthers had the highest gpg. My apologies. Whether it's Blues, Panthers, Flyers, point is they are all top of the league.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Have you watched the Panthers? The Huby line hasn't even really heated up yet, and Huby still isn't playing up to "Huby level". He's also a notorious slow starter. In 5-10 games he'll be scoring at a higher pace.

A couple days ago, Panthers had the highest gpg. My apologies. Whether it's Blues, Panthers, Flyers, point is they are all top of the league.
To suggest Huberdeau "isn't trying" is just silly. He scored a flukey goal against thy Flyers and celebrated like it was a game 7 OT goal, that's not the type of passion you see from a guy that "isn't trying". Essentially what you're saying is, Hubs isn't playing great but he's producing. What makes you think in 5 to 10 games he'll be scoring at a higher pace? .... he's currently at a 105 point pace, by far he highest pace of his career, nothing suggest it'll be higher.

I do like the Panthers this year and I recognize Huberdeau is a great offensive player, just protesting your choice of words, no hard feelings.

Reactions: North Cole

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Now that the sample size is 20 plus games, it appears safe to conclude that Bennet is a legitimate, gritty 2c, who plays well in coach Q's system and has great chemistry with Huberdeau. Zito made a great trade with 20-20 hindsight and then signed him to a very reasonable contract. Example of why change of scenery sometimes does wonders for a player's career.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lol stop this immediately
Bennett was definitely the better of the two last night, but Huberdeau is very clearly the better offensive player. That said, Bennett's puck carrying, skating, and physicality are all superior to Huberdeau's, and he plays the more important position. I'd say they've played an equal role in Florida's early season success - Huberdeau hasn't really been at the top of his game this year.

Speaking of success, the Panthers are 15-2 since Bennett joined the team.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
He's played 17 games in Florida? It's simply a hot streak. Let's discuss this after he's played a full 82 game season worth of games.

Reactions: Trade

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Why the hell would anybody still try to point who's better between Huberdeau and Bennett, still trying to gauge dick size for whatever reasons ? Come on.

Bennett is friggin happy to finally be in a team that relies upon him and to play with one of the most skilled wingers in the NHL, and Huberdeau got someone who complements his skillset extremely well.

Wanted my Habs to make a push for Bennett as I thought he was mishandled in Calgary, just never thought he would find his game so well there and that fast. (And he would probably have been mishandled in the actual clusterf*** that is the Montreal Canadiens too anyway, so yeah)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad