Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
If you aren’t using him in that way then that’s in the club. End result he’s not producing for you.

Agree. Flames traded an unproductive, winger for the equivalent of 2 seconds. Flames got more than fair value for that Bennet. Post trade, playing a different position in a different system with different players, Bennet is shining as a two-way 2c. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Agree. Flames traded an unproductive, winger for the equivalent of 2 seconds. Flames got more than fair value for that Bennet. Post trade, playing a different position in a different system with different players, Bennet is shining as a two-way 2c. Hindsight is always 20-20.
It's not hindsight though. Many knew he was capable of being a top line center, which is worth way more than two 2nd round picks.

Reactions: bh53 and mattihp

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
It's not hindsight though. Many knew he was capable of being a top line center, which is worth way more than two 2nd round picks.

I have always been a fan of his, even thought he looked good those few games he got to play with JG. If you watched him alot you would see flashes of what he could do. I always though he looked very inconsistant (could very well have been because of the situation in calgary) but if he could bring his A game more he could be very good. He was just thrown everywhere with the flames so it was probably hard for him to get used to having different linemates and roles almost every game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Another assist and 5 more shots for Bennett last night, 21:20 TOI was 2nd among Panthers forwards.

Now sits at 7g 20p +13 in 14gp in Florida with 55 shots and 42 hits.

So he's been averaging almost 4 shots per game and 3 hits per game - that puts him in pretty elite company. Only 3 players averaged more shots per game (Mackinnon, Matthews, Ovechkin). Brady Tkachuk is the only other player that averaged 3+ shots per game and 3+ hits per game.

Obviously would like to see him continue this play over a larger sample, but his underlying numbers suggest his productivity and overall impact is no fluke, and I think the eye test confirms this.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Another assist and 5 more shots for Bennett last night, 21:20 TOI was 2nd among Panthers forwards.

Now sits at 7g 20p +13 in 14gp in Florida with 55 shots and 42 hits.

So he's been averaging almost 4 shots per game and 3 hits per game - that puts him in pretty elite company. Only 3 players averaged more shots per game (Mackinnon, Matthews, Ovechkin). Brady Tkachuk is the only other player that averaged 3+ shots per game and 3+ hits per game.

Obviously would like to see him continue this play over a larger sample, but his underlying numbers suggest his productivity and overall impact is no fluke, and I think the eye test confirms this.

Best deal maybe in past 5 years

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lot of hindsight Helens in here. If he was so obviously primed for a break out dying on the vine in Calgary then how come the brilliant minds employed all over the NHL didn't make a better offer than Zito did? The trade forum didn't think he was worth more than a 3rd :laugh:

Got to say Zito has really impressed me. Searched out under utilized players from around the league and really didn't give up too much to acquire them. That is some savvy GMing for a team that hasn't had any for quite a while. Happy that Sam is getting a legitimate shot with the Panthers. He deserves it. No idea why 4 different coaches for the Flames never gave him any rope. Not like our top 6 centers were ever tearing the league up. Sam shares some of that culpability, had long stretches where he was invisible, but when you have a highly drafted young player like him you need to provide them with some real extended opportunity to grow.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Lot of hindsight Helens in here. If he was so obviously primed for a break out dying on the vine in Calgary then how come the brilliant minds employed all over the NHL didn't make a better offer than Zito did? The trade forum didn't think he was worth more than a 3rd :laugh:

Got to say Zito has really impressed me. Searched out under utilized players from around the league and really didn't give up too much to acquire them. That is some savvy GMing for a team that hasn't had any for quite a while. Happy that Sam is getting a legitimate shot with the Panthers. He deserves it. No idea why 4 different coaches for the Flames never gave him any rope. Not like our top 6 centers were ever tearing the league up. Sam shares some of that culpability, had long stretches where he was invisible, but when you have a highly drafted young player like him you need to provide them with some real extended opportunity to grow.
I know this is like 4 months ago, but I think another big issue is expectations, Calgary Drafted Bennett likely with the hope he was a first line player, internally he would be a disappointment whereas in Florida he's seen as there second line and that distinction is important because it reframes the orgs position on him. Same as KK in MTL, they wont ever be first line players but instead 2nd liners and there acquiring team is happy with that.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know this is like 4 months ago, but I think another big issue is expectations, Calgary Drafted Bennett likely with the hope he was a first line player, internally he would be a disappointment whereas in Florida he's seen as there second line and that distinction is important because it reframes the orgs position on him. Same as KK in MTL, they wont ever be first line players but instead 2nd liners and there acquiring team is happy with that.
That's why their development of him was so absurd. He was pigeon holed as a bottom 6 player from the start.

If you draft a guy expecting him to be a top line player, maybe don't bury him with a bunch of scrubs.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
That's why their development of him was so absurd. He was pigeon holed as a bottom 6 player from the start.

If you draft a guy expecting him to be a top line player, maybe don't bury him with a bunch of scrubs.
Oh for sure, there was a great quote on MTL radio a few months back in regards to KK "they always say they're trying to develop KK into a better player well what kind of player are you trying to develop him into if you play him with Armia and Lehkonen? It sounds like 3rd line." It really stuck with me, I think there's a serious issue leaguewide in player development where it's viewed on a total team basis as opposed to position basis

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Playmaking winger is the key. At Flames, Gaudreau was feeding only Monahan. Bennett was put to carry guys like Lucic and Derek Ryan.

Now, playing with Huberdeau, they get most out of him. Florida is gonna be extremely strong with this move. They can build one line around Barkov and another around Huberdeau (and Bennett).

And thanks to this, they also are starting to have some great depth at the Bottom6.

Flames never had any quality wingers to pair with Bennett at the 2nd-3rd lines, Gaudreau was the only one at 1st line.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Good start to the preseason for Bennett, another 1+1 including the OT GWG with a beautiful play between him and Huberdeau.

Their chemistry is insane. Looking forward to him silencing the critics this year.

Good start to the preseason for Bennett, another 1+1 including the OT GWG with a beautiful play between him and Huberdeau.

Their chemistry is insane. Looking forward to him silencing the critics this year.

Yeah, they are magical together.

Reactions: M4k4

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

Huby and Benny look like they've been playing together for their whole careers. Huberdeau is not one to play well with just anybody. He's very particular. Outside of the Barkov and Jagr line, Sam Bennet is unquestionably the best linemate Huby has ever had. They are completely in sync, and Sam is even looking like Huby in flashes, adopting some of his traits. It's the most interesting development for me, because as soon as Sam arrived Huby just seemed to play so much looser, and his attitude on and off the ice seems to be "I have found my centerman :)". Huby must love the way Sam plays. I thought Huby was for sure leaving the team after his contract was over, but he genuinely seems so happy now I think he's staying. I don't think he wants to play hockey without Sam

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Huby and Benny look like they've been playing together for their whole careers. Huberdeau is not one to play well with just anybody. He's very particular. Outside of the Barkov and Jagr line, Sam Bennet is unquestionably the best linemate Huby has ever had. They are completely in sync, and Sam is even looking like Huby in flashes, adopting some of his traits. It's the most interesting development for me, because as soon as Sam arrived Huby just seemed to play so much looser, and his attitude on and off the ice seems to be "I have found my centerman :)". Huby must love the way Sam plays. I thought Huby was for sure leaving the team after his contract was over, but he genuinely seems so happy now I think he's staying. I don't think he wants to play hockey without Sam

Huby and Bennett seem inseparable since the trade, along with Ekblad. Not to mention Huby has a genuine love for Barkov, and they seem to be close as well. I think as long as they stay competitive, the Panthers have a good shot at re-signing him. Also depends on what Barkov gets, cause I doubt he asks for more than what Barkov gets.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I agree wholeheartedly with the basic idea here, although putting much stock into preseason is extremely silly, much less three-on-three overtime in the early preseason. The first couple of games of preseason are notorious for prospect-heavy matchups, mismatched home/road rosters, and errata on the score sheet.

With that said, I'm a big fan of Bennett too. Calgary didn't manage his development very well, and was rarely able or willing to give him the linemates he'd need to thrive like he's had in Florida. Calgary didn't have anyone else like Huberdeau to give him, short of stapling him on a line with Gaudreau and leaving that alone for a while. Yet they opted to use Monahan in that role. I think he's going to carve out a really nice role for himself with the Panthers. Good player.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree wholeheartedly with the basic idea here, although putting much stock into preseason is extremely silly, much less three-on-three overtime in the early preseason. The first couple of games of preseason are notorious for prospect-heavy matchups, mismatched home/road rosters, and errata on the score sheet.

Too much stock for the pre-season?

He scored 6+9=15 points at 10 games for Panthers and 1+4=5 points at 5 playoff games. Has been over a point-per-game player for the Panthers since the trade.

This "putting a stock" comes from last season turnaround success from Day 1, not from a single pre-season game. Still a small sample size, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad