Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Breakfast of Champs, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Chaos2k7 Dreaming on KC

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yep, and while better this season he still wouldnt approach his career bests if extrapolating this years numbers to an 82 game schedule.

Sam is playing better than at any point in his career thus far.

2. Cricket Green Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It is disheartening how many, especially Flames fan, either want to see Sam fail or forever peg him as a checker no matter what he ever does. I get it. Sucks for Calgary that he isn't exploding like this for them. But he seems like a genuinely cool guy. No hints of douchery. Seems to really want to fit. His new teammates have really taken to him. He hasnt had one bad thing to say about the Flames or Calgary. Quite the opposite. Flames fans who still support Bennett, make Florida your 2nd/East team. The more the merrier. We've been crap forever. It can only get better.

3. Dread Clawz LAWSonic Boom

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Actually I've seen a lot of Flames fans here happy for him.

Hart Ross, Fig, CF84 and 5 others like this.
  4. Anglesmith Setting up the play?

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't think anyone is calling him a douche. Opinions among Flames fans generally range from pumping him up as a martyr who would've been an elite centre if treated as one, to thinking he's bound to eventually regress back into what he has been for the past several years. But everyone knows he's a high character guy.

Fig, johnnystormcgy, Rangeri and 4 others like this.
  5. ScottyMascotty Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I understand that he is a great (to say at least) addition, but I don't think that Panthers had been "impotent, fragile" before it.

Cats2TheCup likes this.
  6. Cricket Green Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They were reeling when Barkov went down briefly, and then when Ekblad's leg exploded. Also, i have yet to see anyone take liberties with a Panther since the trade and not have to answer for it.

ScottyMascotty likes this.
  7. ScottyMascotty Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    But...they were having healthy Verhaeghe who helped them to get some wins and not to collapse.

8. HugginThePost It's all over but the cryin'! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Engineer
    Perfectly said.....

9. Cricket Green Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    After Barkov went down, they lost back to back games vs. weak Chicago. After Ekblad's death, they got punked in 3 straight by Dallas and Carolina. They are 7-2 with Bennett, having yet to lose consecutive games, including a win over Carolina.

10. SeanMoneyHands Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The Panthers now have two #1 centers.

11. canadianmagpie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 0
    I think he's on a hot streak as I don't think he's going to put up 133 points over an 82 game season (current pace with Florida), but I do think the change of scenery helped with the linemates he was playing with. But then again, I don't think much of Calgary's top end talent at the moment.

12. thaman8765678 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't think any Flames fan wants to see him fail? I was very upset when he got traded because he is the only Flame to show up every playoff series.

We are more upset with our management and how they handled Bennett in our lineup. We tried to mold him into a 4th line winger and now you see what happens when he is given a chance...

Laus723 likes this.
  13. Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I would guess the fans have a variety of feelings about the situation.

However the Flames media/panel were almost universally douchey towards Bennett when he was traded. A rather disgusting display of the Flames organization can do no wrong and Bennett is destined to be a depth player no matter what.

I have not heard if Rhudey and Cassie Campbell have yet eating their much deserved crow.

14. bleedgreen Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Vinny's best was 75 in 82, and this year he has 39 in 42. So yeah....he actually is on a new career high pace.

Yes Bennett is off to a smashing start in Florida. Gonna be a while before he's accomplished what Vinny already has done, plus what he's doing this season.

Chaos2k7 likes this.
  15. cg98 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Panthers are really gonna run a 1-2-3 punch of Barkov-Bennett-Lundell next season? Lookout!

Cats2TheCup likes this.
  16. The Gongshow 2004. 2020. Cup Champs

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agreed. I think its a bit of both. A nice change of scenery but also a hot steak.

He's playing with a (kind of) underrated Huberdeau. I like what he brings to Florida though with grit as well. Solid pickup for them

17. canadianmagpie Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 0
    I don't underrate Huberdeau at all. Though I know others do, I was able to pick him up 50th overall in my hockey pool (got Barkov at 40th overall) and I was thrilled to get both where I did.

18. Cricket Green Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Bennett got Huberdeau and Duclair going, and then Q used him to get Tippett going. Bennett plays a very efficient and intelligent style that allows him to play on any line, including the top line. Been seeing PP and PK time as well. Top 2 in minutes among forwards pretty much every night. So yea, i think you're right.

Cats2TheCup likes this.
  19. SeanMoneyHands Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Flames should have asked for a 2022 1st round pick on top if FLA wins the cup this year.

20. SeanMoneyHands Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If Sam keeps it up, FLA has a deadly 1-2 punch down the middle.

21. YesCubed Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    i didn't know ownership made him give up marchessault and smith to keep a guy who's no longer in the league in petrovic! did they also force him to sign bobrovsky? so far all of his picks except for spencer knight don't really seem to be difference makers, but that could change obviously.

i mean it is mostly their fault for panicking and re-hiring tallon but it doesn't absolve tallon of all blame

22. BB88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    1-2-3 moving forward

They probably have the best C prospect not in NHL in the system

23. Laus723 We do exist! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Business owner
    they’re one of the best ownership groups in pro sports, they just got ahead of themselves in 15-16 and sent Tallon upstairs, allowing a few contracts to be handed out that weren’t great.

At first I was happy to have Tallon back as he’d landed us Ek, Huby, and Barkov, but it quickly became apparent that was a mistake. Though, I still hoped he’d work through things and thought the blame was on Smith a bit with the whole Vegas draft fallacy. He made a couple nice trades, was likely instrumental in bringing in Q, but then he for some reason thought it a good idea to dole out contracts to guys that don’t really fit the team.

I still didn’t want him to go as I didn’t want another fiasco, and while it can be argued he was released a year too late, Zito may not have come over and he’s been amazing.

Hopefully it’s all upward from here.

24. Howboutthempanthers Thread killer. Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So he he gave up Smith and March in 2016? And yes, rumor is that's exactly what happened.
    No, they had entered year 5 of their rebuild and started to turn things around, just like he said he had a 5 year plan for a rebuild when he first was hired. Then the next season is when they won the division with a young core built through the rebuild.
    Then that offseason ownership takes him out of the GM spot and follows their own plan. The next season they nose dive in the standings, after they fire Gallant, with Smith and March in the lineup. Again, Tallon is not the GM, the owner's flunkies are running the show.
    At this point things are off the rails, and it's too late to continue whatever momentum they had from their multi year rebuild. Then ownership seeing the shit show they created, try a desperation move and put Tallon back in the GM spot. That's when the trade with Vegas went down, which I heard was because of certain issues behind the scenes, involving ownership. Just what I heard. But either way, that trade didn't do anything to this franchise that wasn't already happening.
    And after that even though it was already too late, Tallon managed to bring in Dadanov, Hoffman, Vatrano, Acciari, and Quenneville, for a couple of picks and some cap space. Nobody was complaining about any of this at all when he brought those people in.
    That Bobrovsky contract and that whole last season was a last shot in the dark because he knew it was his last chance to make a run. He just tried to put together the best roster on paper he could, even though I'm guessing he knew it was a long shot. And, before he signed Bobrovsky a lot of people were crying for a goaltender upgrade. And saying how that was the biggest hole they needed to fill. And a lot Panthers' fans were satisfied they got Bobrovsky even though the contract was high (I wasn't one them, I didn't want them to sign a goaltender for that much). All this is avoided if ownership doesn't do anything at all, simple. And yet, they couldn't just let things happen.

25. Ratsreign Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    From the way GM/Coach Rowe scapegoated Smith a couple of times that season, I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith told them all to kiss his ass, & please trade me at his exit meeting.