Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They can be had through trade. You need to pay to get.

I think if Galchenyuk doesn't step up these playoffs and is outplayed and outscored by DD than he can be the chip used to land said player.

It's extremely hard to land a top center via trade, there's a reason why you rarely see it happen. As for trading Galchenyuk, that would be flat out stupid thing to do. Look at boston and how much they must regret that trade, now the stars have one of the top scorers in the league.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
It's extremely hard to land a top center via trade, there's a reason why you rarely see it happen. As for trading Galchenyuk, that would be flat out stupid thing to do. Look at boston and how much they must regret that trade, now the stars have one of the top scorers in the league.

Seguin had to be traded to break out. Because Julien was reluctant to displace Bergeron or Kreiji

Obviously it was a bad move.

My opinion is DD leaves and Galchenyuk becomes 2nd line center behind Pleks. The team currently has way too many players playing out of position: DLR and Galchenyuk as wingers when they were drafted as centers. PAP hopefully gets dumped.

But I wouldn't be against trading Galchenyuk if it lands a top end talent. Not pieces. Trying to use situational perspective. I would rather lose DD for nothing and move Galchenyuk to center. He can't play 2nd fiddle to Pacioretty anymore

As a side note, trading Galchenyuk would be a big mistake in my opinion. But the habs Cup window is kind of right now and next year. Sure they will still be good down the road but no Markov or Plekanecs will change the make-up greatly. Players of Markov's ilk do not grow on trees.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seguin had to be traded to break out. Because Julien was reluctant to displace Bergeron or Kreiji

Obviously it was a bad move.

My opinion is DD leaves and Galchenyuk becomes 2nd line center behind Pleks. The team currently has way too many players playing out of position: DLR and Galchenyuk as wingers when they were drafted as centers. PAP hopefully gets dumped.

But I wouldn't be against trading Galchenyuk if it lands a top end talent. Not pieces. Trying to use situational perspective. I would rather lose DD for nothing and move Galchenyuk to center. He can't play 2nd fiddle to Pacioretty anymore

As a side note, trading Galchenyuk would be a big mistake in my opinion. But the habs Cup window is kind of right now and next year. Sure they will still be good down the road but no Markov or Plekanecs will change the make-up greatly. Players of Markov's ilk do not grow on trees.

Then they should have gotten rid of the coach, going to regret that move for a long time, which is why I hope we don't trade Galchenyuk as I would be so pissed off.

As for DD, I think the Habs are stuck with him, just don't see any team really wanting a 5'6 center at 3.5M

I like DLR more at wing then center, I don't know if Galchenyuk can be a top line center next year or ever as for me it's one of those things we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that players like Markov don't grow on tress and we have no one remotely close to replacing him so it's a big concern.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Then they should have gotten rid of the coach, going to regret that move for a long time, which is why I hope we don't trade Galchenyuk as I would be so pissed off.

As for DD, I think the Habs are stuck with him, just don't see any team really wanting a 5'6 center at 3.5M

I like DLR more at wing then center, I don't know if Galchenyuk can be a top line center next year or ever as for me it's one of those things we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that players like Markov don't grow on tress and we have no one remotely close to replacing him so it's a big concern.

I'd hate to see him go, but maybe this is Pleks' last season as a Hab. Move him for a winger and move Galchenyuk to 2nd line center.

Regardless of how the Habs do it will be an interesting offseason especially if the Cap goes down.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd hate to see him go, but maybe this is Pleks' last season as a Hab. Move him for a winger and move Galchenyuk to 2nd line center.

Regardless of how the Habs do it will be an interesting offseason especially if the Cap goes down.

Bergevin thinks the world of Plekanec. He ain't trading him unless someone came running to us with an offer he can't refuse.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Our D next year is set with Markov, Subban, Emelin, Petry, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi and Gilbert. Gonchar and Weaver will be let go.

Aside: It's pretty incredible how everyone back there except Petry (who we got this year) and Gilbert (who was signed as a 5-6 in the off-season) was drafted or groomed as a youngster in the organization (Pateryn arrived as part of the Grabovski deal to Toronto). That's a huge testament to our drafting.

Up front we have:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Parenteau
DLR - Eller - DSP
Prust - Mitchell / Malhotra - Weise

I really hate the second line and I think we have two positions to upgrade. Hudon will likely take one spot at some point next year. That leaves one position on our roster to upgrade with lots of talent coming in the next few years. And I think with the cap crunch coming, we might be able to steal a young RFA who can fit in the top six that a team can't afford to keep.

I think we're pretty set as it is for next year. Great moves by MB to get rid of Bourque and Moen's contracts earlier in the year.

Couchcoach

Apr 6, 2015
Pleks-Ellen-chucks-dlr down middle is a strong group. Combing that middle with a world class goalie and a tight defence and I worry less about scoring from the wingers. Add one top 6 rw and were good to go

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the loonie hit .81 today, with oil making a solid move upwards. Should bode well for the cap as the numbers go till June and for much of the year the loonie was over .88, just need it to hold on for another 2 months.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Habs have 11 forwards already with contracts for next year

C: Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller
LW: Pacioretty, De La Rose, Prust
RW: Gallagher, Smith-Pelly, Weise, Andrighetto, Parenteau

RFA: Galchenyuk (LW/C), Flynn (C/RW), Bournival (LW)

If we keep everybody and re-signed our RFA. We already have 14 forwards. I think Bergevin will want to keep 13 forwards next year to keep Tinordi and Pateryn full time on D (So we would need 8 spots for defensemen).

For UFA: I think Mitchell should be kept and we need to make space on the cap to re-sign Petry at 4-5M a year. IMO, Parenteau has to be traded. His price tag is too expensive for what we need and Andrighetto will be able to take his place in the lineup. Maybe Bergevin will also trade a center to make place for Galchenyuk at center but I think it will be done in the season and not in the offseason.

So out would be : Parenteau, Malhotra, Gonchar, Weaver.

For defense I would keep these 8: Subban, Markov, Petry, Emelin, Beaulieu, Gilbert, Pateryn and Tinordi

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The loonie continues to hold steady and has even moved up a little back to .82. When Bettman said the cap was looking like it would be around 73M, they were basing it off an .88 cent loonie. Still have 2 months to go though so we'll have to see how it holds up. Even a 71M cap would be good enough for the Habs, especially if they can somehow move PAP's 4M off the books.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
The loonie continues to hold steady and has even moved up a little back to .82. When Bettman said the cap was looking like it would be around 73M, they were basing it off an .88 cent loonie. Still have 2 months to go though so we'll have to see how it holds up. Even a 71M cap would be good enough for the Habs, especially if they can somehow move PAP's 4M off the books.

71M CAP would mean 12,225M of cap space with Parenteau.

Assuming Galchenyuk (4.0), Flynn (0.8), Bournival (0.7), Beaulieu (1.0), Petry (5.0)

We would have 23 players signed with 0.725 cap space left. It's possible.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
71M CAP would mean 12,225M of cap space with Parenteau.

Assuming Galchenyuk (4.0), Flynn (0.8), Bournival (0.7), Beaulieu (1.0), Petry (5.0)

We would have 23 players signed with 0.725 cap space left. It's possible.

Or more realistically you let Desharnais go. Move Galchenyuk to center and use an entry level contract to fill in on wing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Or more realistically you let Desharnais go. Move Galchenyuk to center and use an entry level contract to fill in on wing.

What do you mean let go? are you saying buy him out? I would be surprised if they would that. For me PAP has to go before DD, 4M for what he brings is worse then DD's 3.5M

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What do you mean let go? are you saying buy him out? I would be surprised if they would that. For me PAP has to go before DD, 4M for what he brings is worse then DD's 3.5M
If either of these guys gets traded, it will be our junk for someone else's junk....kinda like the PAP/Briere move.....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Loonie continues to do well, getting closer to .83, 2 months left in the season.

If either of these guys gets traded, it will be our junk for someone else's junk....kinda like the PAP/Briere move.....

I don't see DD moved, sounds like fantasy to me as I doubt many teams want a overpaid 5'6 center that can mainly just pass the puck or score in the SO. The DD topic has been beaten to death on this board so I'll just leave it at that I assume he's back and don't see much chance of him being moved but I agree if he somehow was it would be for junk. PAP I look at more as a buyout, as his injury could crush any trade value although as I've said we never know just what any players trade value is, only the 29 GM's can answer that just would be shocked if teams want to trade anything worth while for PAP or DD.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Loonie continues to do well, getting closer to .83, 2 months left in the season.

I don't see DD moved, sounds like fantasy to me as I doubt many teams want a overpaid 5'6 center that can mainly just pass the puck or score in the SO. The DD topic has been beaten to death on this board so I'll just leave it at that I assume he's back and don't see much chance of him being moved but I agree if he somehow was it would be for junk. PAP I look at more as a buyout, as his injury could crush any trade value although as I've said we never know just what any players trade value is, only the 29 GM's can answer that just would be shocked if teams want to trade anything worth while for PAP or DD.
So, are we looking at a 70-71M dollar cap? Does this leave the Habs in good shape for one major ufa signing? Who is out there? A trade with the Oilers maybe?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So, are we looking at a 70-71M dollar cap? Does this leave the Habs in good shape for one major ufa signing? Who is out there? A trade with the Oilers maybe?

It's hard to say, 68-69M is if the players don't vote for the escalator, the league thinks they will and the cap will be in the 71-73M range. The Habs currently sit at 58M and change. Petry, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, would eat that up if the cap was in the 68M range but there's always trades and buyouts. PAP's 4M, one of Emelin/Gilbert would free up money as well.

Edit: League said the cap is looking closer to 71M if the loonie stays around .80 (it's been up around .82 lately) and that's if the players take the escalator. If you want to read about it,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1749515&page=14

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
We need to rebuild our top six. Start with Pacioretty, Plekanec and Galchenyuk and bring in three new players. DSP, Eller and Gallagher as your third line. Prust, Mitchell and Weise/Flynn as your fourth. I'm tired of our top six not getting it done in the playoffs. Gallagher is an epic top 9, but isn't a playoff performing top six. At least it's something I would consider. Fill the remaining 3 spots on the top two lines with scorers. We need GOALS.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Would love to see McCaron make it out of camp next year. i imagine they give hudon a chance but if they do, desharnais (and parenteau) need to be gone--hudon is another undersized F

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Would love to see McCaron make it out of camp next year. i imagine they give hudon a chance but if they do, desharnais (and parenteau) need to be gone--hudon is another undersized F

Isn't Hudon 5'11"? That isn't tiny.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't Hudon 5'11"? That isn't tiny.

maybe closer to 5'10 and on the skinny side. He also lacks a top gear which you want to see in smaller players, but he's so smart and has the ability to slow things down so well that I'm not too worried about him although we won't know until we see him in NHL how it goes. I got to think he gets a look at some point next season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Patches (4.5M) - Galch (4.25M) - Backes (4.5M) = 13.25M
DSP (800K) - Pleks (5M) - Gallagher (3.75M) = 9.55M
JDR (900K) - Eller (3.5M) - Oshie (4.175M) = 8.575M
Prust (2.5M) - Bournival (750K) - Weise (1.025M) = 4.275M
Flynn (800K)

36.45M

Subban (9M) - Beauchemin (5M) = 14M
Petry (6M) - Emelin (4.1M) = 8M
Pateryn (550K) - Beaulieu (2M) = 4.65M
Tinordi (900K)