Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Time to trade Pacioretty, Weber and Price while they still have high value.

Trading Pacioretty needs to be this summer. Next summer teams will look at him like a rental. Two years is great value at his contract. Teams will offer good things.

Price... I see Bergevin getting fired because he let Price play into becoming a UFA because he refused to trade his meal ticket.

Best time to trade Weber is next summer. The bulk of his contract will be paid for and he will be a $7.8 million cap hit that only costs a team $6 million per season, which will drop. Even if he has a bad season there will be teams lining up for him.

Petry is another next summer guy. His no movement turns into a 15 team list. Then again he's a good guy to have as your top defenceman if you're trying to tank.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Trading Pacioretty needs to be this summer. Next summer teams will look at him like a rental. Two years is great value at his contract. Teams will offer good things.

Price... I see Bergevin getting fired because he let Price play into becoming a UFA because he refused to trade his meal ticket.

Best time to trade Weber is next summer. The bulk of his contract will be paid for and he will be a $7.8 million cap hit that only costs a team $6 million per season, which will drop. Even if he has a bad season there will be teams lining up for him.

Petry is another next summer guy. His no movement turns into a 15 team list. Then again he's a good guy to have as your top defenceman if you're trying to tank.

Agreed on Max. Check to see if Buffalo wants him to play with Eichel. Try and get ROR.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
With Lernout, Jerabek, Juulsen, Bourque, Sergachev and Mete, we will be in good shape in defense as far as SCap is concerned.

Emelin is gone in a year.
Markov is gone in 2 or 3 years.
In 4 years, Petry's contract is finished and he will be 34.

I see Lehkonen as a good deal on a 2nd or 3rd line.
McCarron, DLR will be able to play on bottom-6.
Hudon should be able to pick up a spot on 3rd line or a 2nd line.
Scherback could play middle-6.
Addison also should be able to get a bottom-6 spot.
Reway is a mystery. Could become a a top-6.
That is 7 players there.

Add Matteau who could become a bottom-6.
If he makes the team with McCarron and DLR, we have enough size in our bottom-6.

I don't see anything else on offense but this year draft may give us more.

If either Hudon, Bitten or Scherback turn out to be a top-6 in the next two years, we are going to be in a good shape on Scap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it would be smart to give him some term and try to lower the cap hit.

We need to be careful with ensuring we have cap space to acquire the center we're looking for when that opportunity happens. I would give 1 year deals to Markov from here on. He might take a salary reduction anyways if it means the Habs can get some talent and improve the roster. If anybody is a team player, he is!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Very dangerous. If he retires, we get cap hit for nothing. At his age, play can really fall off a cliff.

I'm not talking about 5 years here, I would be fine with 3 years. In his last year, he would play on the third pair and on the PP.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm not talking about 5 years here, I would be fine with 3 years. In his last year, he would play on the third pair and on the PP.

Third pairing D at 3-4M? He could already be at that level by the 2nd year.

He might not even be NHL caliber by the 3rd year. Forties hit hard.

I don't want a Dallas' Gonchar deal.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Third pairing D at 3-4M? He could already be at that level by the 2nd year.

He might not even be NHL caliber by the 3rd year. Forties hit hard.

I don't want a Dallas' Gonchar deal.

I just don't see this guy falling off a cliff terribly. What's going to happen to him? He'll get even slower? Can he? :laugh:

Anyways maybe he takes a serious pay cut even with one-year deals but he had a good year once again. I don't see him getting less than 5M.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I just don't see this guy falling off a cliff terribly. What's going to happen to him? He'll get even slower? Can he? :laugh:

Anyways maybe he takes a serious pay cut even with one-year deals but he had a good year once again. I don't see him getting less than 5M.

Skating slows. Shots gets weaker. Pass less crisp.

Just look at Gonchar 12-13 vs 13-14. Don't wanna get stuck with a case like this at 4M for 2-3 years.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i'm functioning under premise habs need to retool, thus hard decisions need to be made.
1) Markov @ 5 mill - 1 year, take it or leave it
2) dump plekanec any way possible
3) explore trading pacioretty in a ryan type deal (3 pieces: a 1st and two young forwards, preferably centers)
4) trade beaulieu + 2nd for a young C with some kind of upside
5) CAREFUL with radulov. offer vanek type deal - less term, more money (3 X 6.5 mill) take it or leave it
6) Try to figure out a way to land duchene or landeskog for mete or juulsen + 1st + MacCaron

get25

Oct 17, 2015
First giving him a 3 year contract is a bad idea cause if he retires his salary stays on the SCap.

Second, we have to look at replacements.
Emelin is gone after next year: 4.1M is too much for him.
We will have Sergachev, Jerabek and Juulsen/Lernout who would probably bring us two more d-men with us.
Sergachev will be ready next year or the following one.
Lernout has to go trough waivers in 2018-19 so he is either bottom-6 or he is gone (maybe #6).
Beaulieu might become a top-4 next year with Markov.

For now, Sergachev, Jerabek and Beaulieu are the only young LHD in our pipeline and Sergachev plays on the right for now.

Last time Markov was happy to sign a two year deal. This time he will not asking for more than two years and to be frank his pace of 48 points was even better than Weber. Maybe he will only sign for a year.
Gonchar gave us a pace of 29 points at 40 years old, pretty sure Markov can do the same.

Expansion draft will tell us a lot more.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
First giving him a 3 year contract is a bad idea cause if he retires his salary stays on the SCap.

Second, we have to look at replacements.
Emelin is gone after next year: 4.1M is too much for him.
We will have Sergachev, Jerabek and Juulsen/Lernout who would probably bring us two more d-men with us.
Sergachev will be ready next year or the following one.
Lernout has to go trough waivers in 2018-19 so he is either bottom-6 or he is gone (maybe #6).
Beaulieu might become a top-4 next year with Markov.

For now, Sergachev, Jerabek and Beaulieu are the only young LHD in our pipeline and Sergachev plays on the right for now.

Last time Markov was happy to sign a two year deal. This time he will not asking for more than two years and to be frank his pace of 48 points was even better than Weber. Maybe he will only sign for a year.
Gonchar gave us a pace of 29 points at 40 years old, pretty sure Markov can do the same.

Expansion draft will tell us a lot more.

Why would he retire and leave money on the table? Even if he retires, you trade his contract like the wings did and that's all.

We don't even know if Jerabek will be good enough to stick around...

Lernout and Juulsen play on the right side.

I know he would sign a 2-year deal or a one-year deal, the only reason I would give him a 3-year deal is to lower his cap hit to something ~ 3 M.

Give him 10M for 3 years and you saved yourself the money to extend Price.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why would he retire and leave money on the table? Even if he retires, you trade his contract like the wings did and that's all.

We don't even know if Jerabek will be good enough to stick around...

Lernout and Juulsen play on the right side.

I know he would sign a 2-year deal or a one-year deal, the only reason I would give him a 3-year deal is to lower his cap hit to something ~ 3 M.

Give him 10M for 3 years and you saved yourself the money to extend Price.

Of course, let's lose assets for 0.5M-1M saving on the cap for one year.

Price is not due until 18-19. Markov cap will be under 3M by then, so we actually save cap in the important years (meaning not next year) by going the 1 year route.

Unless we do some Master trade (#1C or at least bona fide great top 6 C so not Hanzal) in the summer, we are not a favorite for the Cup next year anyway. Build and try for the one after that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course, let's lose assets for 0.5M-1M saving on the cap for one year.

Price is not due until 18-19. Markov cap will be under 3M by then, so we actually save cap in the important years (meaning not next year) by going the 1 year route.

Unless we do some Master trade (#1C or at least bona fide great top 6 C so not Hanzal) in the summer, we are not a favorite for the Cup next year anyway. Build and try for the one after that.

I agree with you.

- Markov gets a 1 year deal and I'm sure he will be fine with that. Lets say $5M (+/-). It likely drops to $4M the following year but we explore our options next off season.

- We will likely improve our roster this off season but it's unlikely were going to be a legit cup contender. We can hope, but it's not likely to happen. I say we have a 5 year window to win so lets improve our roster year by year and take advantages of oppertunties as they come. It's our only way really. After 5 years when Weber, Price, Patch, Radulov reach their mid 30's, we evaluate and see if it's time to rebuild (or get younger), or go after a Cup year by year depending on how these guys decline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks like we're getting a salary cap around $76 or $77M. That's $3M or $4M more than last season. If everyone is back with increases to Radulov and Galchenyuk, I believe we have somewhere around $6M (+/-) in cap space. Habs are in great shape. Salary Cap space won't be a problem this year or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad