Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is for from ideal but at least we're not in a Chicago type situation or Washington where they have a bunch of guys they have to re-sign.

I fully expect Chicago to move one of Seabrook or Hjalmarsson, off chance of Hossa but the recapture is too much of a risk.

No chance in hell we're unloading Plekanec AND Emelin, though. One if we're lucky.

I'd rather be in cap hell and have 3 recent Cups than be in a good position and nothing the last 25 years.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
One reason the players did not feel the need to push the cap up this year is the reality of a new team which results in an increase of total players in the league.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Panarin just signed at a discount, no way he gets traded.

Hossa claims he intends to play out his contract but will he really at $1m per year for 4 more years? He is still playing well and could retire to get more in Europe screwing even more the Hawks.

Panarin goes nowhere!

One of their beat writers reported that a core player is about to be traded for picks and/or prospects.... Someone other than toews.

He also said that Kruger is almost certainly done with the Hawks.

It sounds like the Hawks have been bracing for this.

It cannot be confirmed until June 21st, but apparently Hawks have an agreement of Kruger to Vegas and Chicago gives them TVR like the player claimed... I dont have a clue why Vegas would have an interest on TVR but this is the news/rumor. Many reports on it already.

Bergy go get Panarin or hjalmarsson

The rumor is actually Montreal on Brent Seabrook, im not sure how serious it is.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Panarin goes nowhere!

It cannot be confirmed until June 21st, but apparently Hawks have an agreement of Kruger to Vegas and Chicago gives them TVR like the player claimed... I dont have a clue why Vegas would have an interest on TVR but this is the news/rumor. Many reports on it already.

The rumor is actually Montreal on Brent Seabrook, im not sure how serious it is.

He should be fired minutes upon that deal happening. Trading Subban a year before and taking on a contract like Seabrook where he is now.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Panarin goes nowhere!

That's a good deal for both teams. Chicago doesn't mess around.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
This is for from ideal but at least we're not in a Chicago type situation or Washington where they have a bunch of guys they have to re-sign.

I fully expect Chicago to move one of Seabrook or Hjalmarsson, off chance of Hossa but the recapture is too much of a risk.

No chance in hell we're unloading Plekanec AND Emelin, though. One if we're lucky.

They're both tradeable, especially if $2M is retained on Pleks and $1M on Emelin. Better to get picks than lose picks by getting Arizona or LV to take them.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How can someone compare Plekanec or Emelin's contract to someone like Seabrook or Hossa? Freaking clueless!!!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Hossa is 38....would you rather have him or Radulov?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's great for the Habs actually. This puts a lot of other teams in hot water like Chicago, LA, Minnesota to name a few.

Totally agree. Good news for the Habs for sure. We can use cap space like pretty much every NHL team but were not anywhere near cap trouble. Pleky/Emelin ($10.1M) have one year left and it's possible to move them if we have to.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal should offer Pacioretty + Juulsen + 1st for Panarin and Hjalmarsson. Chicago is cap-****ed, and considering MTL-CHI GMs are good friends and trade partners, they should make that happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal should offer Pacioretty + Juulsen + 1st for Panarin and Hjalmarsson. Chicago is cap-****ed, and considering MTL-CHI GMs are good friends and trade partners, they should make that happen.

I like Panarin but do you think he gets north of 60 pts playing with the Habs and lack of top 6 centers? If I'm trading Patch, it's for a top 6 center or a puck moving Defenseman.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have read another article where it says the Players are likely to accept the 5% escrow so the Cap reaches $77M. Personally, I say it reaches middle ground at somewhere around $75M.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I have read another article where it says the Players are likely to accept the 5% escrow so the Cap reaches $77M. Personally, I say it reaches middle ground at somewhere around $75M.

Almost zero chance they apply 0%, so it'll be somewhere between 1 and 5%. Fairly safe bet the cap will be at least in that $75 area.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Making some assumption like signing Chucky to a one year bridge at $3.5M, Markov to a two year $4M, Rads at $5.5M for 5 years losing Beau in the expansion draft and being stuck with Plex and Emelin, we'll still have about $7M in cap space to go after a top line centre or at least fit on under the cap. If we can get LV to take Emelin or preferably Plex, we'd have enough room to get a guy like Druin and a top line centre.

Given the cap isn't going up, this is prime time for Bergevin to make his move before things get really tough next year.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Making some assumption like signing Chucky to a one year bridge at $3.5M, Markov to a two year $4M, Rads at $5.5M for 5 years losing Beau in the expansion draft and being stuck with Plex and Emelin, we'll still have about $7M in cap space to go after a top line centre or at least fit on under the cap. If we can get LV to take Emelin or preferably Plex, we'd have enough room to get a guy like Druin and a top line centre.

Given the cap isn't going up, this is prime time for Bergevin to make his move before things get really tough next year.

Lots of wishful thinking in those cap hit numbers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Lots of wishful thinking in those cap hit numbers.

How so? Those numbers are all in the range of acceptable amounts not to mention that posters tend to overstate how much a player will sign for. How many times have we heard, "that's it" or "wow Begevin got a deal!" on these boards. Given the cap isn't moving, players can't and won't expect a significant raise based on the overall percent of salary they make.

Also, I kept Emelin and Plex and we both know Bergevin will push hard to get rid of one or both of them. That alone could open up significant cap space in addition to the $6-7 M of space we'll have.

I also have McCarron, Sergachev and Hudon as full time NHLers this year which again, I don't think is much of a stretch.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
How so? Those numbers are all in the range of acceptable amounts not to mention that posters tend to overstate how much a player will sign for. How many times have we heard, "that's it" or "wow Begevin got a deal!" on these boards. Given the cap isn't moving, players can't and won't expect a significant raise based on the overall percent of salary they make.

Also, I kept Emelin and Plex and we both know Bergevin will push hard to get rid of one or both of them. That alone could open up significant cap space in addition to the $6-7 M of space we'll have.

I also have McCarron, Sergachev and Hudon as full time NHLers this year which again, I don't think is much of a stretch.

Well I dont see Markov signing for 4 mill or Radulov signing for less dollars than he just signed for. Markov is still productive he isnt going to take 2/3rds the money he just made. I guess Markov is the one I see being off the most. Not sure where the Galchenyuk negotiations are going to go but I guess we will see.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Well I dont see Markov signing for 4 mill or Radulov signing for less dollars than he just signed for. Markov is still productive he isnt going to take 2/3rds the money he just made. I guess Markov is the one I see being off the most. Not sure where the Galchenyuk negotiations are going to go but I guess we will see.

Markov is 38 and by giving him a 2 year deal you can expect a discount. Same for Radulov. First off, he's not a $7M player period. So anything in that neighborhood is a pass for me and I'd rather give it to a guy like Oshie who's UFA. By giving him term, you're lowering the amount you'd pay him anyways as he's north of 30 now anyways and the 5 years I gave takes him to the 35 threshold which is not something I think any team would go beyond. Chucky will likely get a bridge deal and those are generally around the $3-4M mark so I split the difference.

So, you're entitled to your opinion but I stand by these numbers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I've analyzed the Habs cap situation over the next 3 years a lot. If everybody is back and we still have the same Salary cap. I think your $7M is more like $1-3M when you realistically factor in the new contracts of Radulov, Galchenyuk, and Markov.

Do you have a 25 man roster and a $73M salary cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad