Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by montreal, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

UFA
    [table="head;width=1000]Player|Cap Hit
    Markov, Andrei|5,750,000
    Radulov, Alexander|5,750,000
    King, Dwight|1,950,000
    Flynn, Brian|950,000
    Farnham, Bobby|575,000[/table]

RFA
    [table="head;width=1000]Player|Cap Hit
    Galchenyuk, Alex|2,800,000
    de la Rose, Jacob|925,000
    Johnston, Ryan|925,000
    Lindgren, Charlie|925,000
    MacMillan, Mark|900,000
    Crisp, Connor|800,000
    Thrower, Dalton|800,000
    Lowe, Keegan|750,000
    Hudon, Charles|725,000
    Matteau, Stefan|612,500
    Hanley, Joel|600,000
    Friberg, Max|587,500[/table]

Unsigned (Need to be Signed this off-season)
    [table="head;width=1000]Player|Deadline
    Nygren, Magnus|June 30th
    Sullivan, Colin|August 15th[/table]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. WhiskeySeven*

WhiskeySeven* Expect the expected

Would Markov accept 5.75 for another two years?

3. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

Guaranteed. His last three contracts were at 5.75M. He never looked for a raise. He wanted term.

Although I'd like to sign him for less if possible. Two years sounds about right to me, though.

4. Adam Michaels

My priorities:

UFA
    Andrei Markov
    Alexander Radulov

RFA
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Nathan Beaulieu
    Jacob De La Rose
    Charlie Lindgren
    Charles Hudon

Unsigned:
    Jeremiah Addison
    Matt Bradley

5. Belial

Belial Registered User

I think Andrei would accept less if Bergevin is giving him 2 years...

6. Fish on The Sand

Fish on The Sand Untouchable

Home Page:
    Only Markov and Radulov as notable UFAs is good. Hopefully Bergevin has the good sense to avoid re-signing either of them, particularly Markov, before the expansion draft.

7. TooLegitToQuit

TooLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    I think it has to be a 1 year deal. Not sure what Markov would want at this stage but I suspect nothing less than $5M IMO. If he accepts less, then he's a true team player and wants to win! The reason I say 1 year deal is because Price's new contract kicks in 2 years. MB needs to be careful and also ensure there is Cap space to go after the future 2nd line center and also sign the current core.

Next Season 25 man Roster Cap Hit: Current contracts + Galchenyuk ($6.5), Radulov ($6.5), Beaulieu ($2.5), Markov ($5) = $73.5M. Then we need to factor in who is picked in the expansion draft. And If there is a 2nd line center trade, Pleky's contract ($6M) needs to be offloaded and who knows what other salary is going the other way.

2018-2019 Season 21 man Roster Cap Hit: Current contracts + Galchenyuk ($6.5), Radulov ($6.5), Beaulieu ($2.5), Markov ($5M), Price ($9M?) Danault ($3M?), McCarron ($2M?), Sergachev ($0.93M), 2nd line center ($6M+) = Somewhere around $72M and then add depth players to fill the 4 missing spots. At this point, if any additional players are added to the core with substantial salary, Markov could be gone.

2019-2020 Season Roster Cap Hit: This is where its hard to predict the roster and also Patch, Lehkonen, Byron, need raises along with who knows what Beaulieu, Danault, McCarron's contract will look like.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  8. BLONG7

BLONG7 Registered User

Home Page:
    I would like to see Markov on one year deals as we move forward...at this point, the team should be able to ask him, to do that...

9. Habernack

Habernack BookHockey

So who walks?

UFA: King, Flynn & Farnham.

I could see MB signing Ott. Losing a 3rd instead of a 4th by signing King, whos been mediocre to bad, isn't ideal. I wouldn't hate Flynn in an identical role, 13-14th forward type role.

RFA: Nesterov, Crisp, Lowe, Thrower, Matteau & Friberg.

Could see all of the above being let go. The rest likely get new contracts. Wouldn't mind Nesterov as the 7th dman next year - Especially if we lose one of Emelin, Beauliu, Davidson. Man our left side is weak... Hopefully Serg can make the jump.

I don't know much about Sullivan but we likely sign the other 3 for sure right?

10. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I don't see us signing Sullivan, maybe he goes to the ECHL. He can skate and is physical. Really hope they do something with Nygren as he's had a big year, would hate to lose him for nothing. I would think they sign Addison. Bradley perhaps it will come down more to how he does in the playoffs and how many spots among the 50 contracts they expect to be open. I would sign him as I like how he plays the game.

Here's my guess for now on who is back, although the playoffs could change that in a hurry.

UFA- Markov, Radulov, Martinsen.

I would think Markov gets a 1 year deal, maybe around 5M depending on where the cap ends up and how much room we have. Rads I think gets a big contract hard to say how much he'll get. We are in a tough spot as it would be difficult to replace him so MB has to find a way to bring him back. It sounds like they want to work with Martinsen, so I could see him back on a 1 year deal on the cheap.

Perhaps out of Ott, Flynn, King, they bring one of them back. Ott's looked the best so far, but I wonder if they feel that McCarron is a full timer next year and want him to have that 4th line center spot. Then again it could come down to who we lose at the expansion draft.

RFA- Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, DLR, Hudon, Lindgren

They should lock up Galchenyuk, Beaulieu I don't think he gets too much of a raise, maybe something like 2 years @ 2M (1.75M 1st year, 2.25M 2nd) DLR, Hudon should get 1 year deals on the cheap. Lindgren my guess would be 2 years, 1st year 2 way, 2nd year 1 way (since he'll need waivers for the 2nd year).

Not sure what they will do out of Johnston, Hanley, Crisp, Thrower, Matteau, Lowe, MacMillan. With Juulsen and Bourque incoming, plus Lernout and they have Redmond who could be in Laval next year depending on the NHL roster. I still hope they sign Didier. I would think at least one of Hanley/Johnston gets signed. Hanley is on the top pairing for the IceCaps, although I wouldn't lose sleep if neither were brought back. Lowe has been ok so far, but hard to say what they think of him.

Thrower and Crisp both were higher picks but both have been disappointments and had major injury problems. I wouldn't mind if they gave one or both another shot but could easily see them cutting ties. Matteau it's hard to say what they want to do with him, since he was a 1st round pick I could certainly see them bringing him back, and not to offend but in addition it might work in his favor of being a local since the team is moving to Laval. Not saying it would be based off that since to me it would be more about them trading for him, and his former 1st round status, plus it seems like CJ wants bigger players and Matteau does bring a physical game so maybe with a different coach they could get more out of him. I haven't really liked what i've seen from him this year, so wouldn't care either way if he's back or not.

MacMillan is the kind of player coaches like but he's been on the 4th line so he doesn't get much time. Good speed and PKer, hard working but depending on how many spots are left, I could see them walking away from him. Friberg is said to be going back to Sweden next year, maybe them give him a QO so they can keep his rights as it wouldn't cost anything. I assume Nesterov will be back in the KHL unless LV wants to give him a shot if the Habs don't give him his QO.

11. mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66 Registered User

hehe...hehe!
    I am happy with Markov's play considering his age, but i wouldn't be willing to throw him a 2 years at 5mil a year just yet. Wait and see how things goes for him in the playoffs.

12. DAChampion

DAChampion Registered User

Barring injuries, there's no room on the Habs roster right now. Of the top-9, only Radulov is a UFA and he's coming back or being replaced by UFA or trade.

The 4th line has McCarron, Mitchell, Flynn, King, Martinsen, Ott. Flynn, Ott, King, and Martinsen are UFA, if you assume that none of them comes back that leaves McCarron, Mitchell, the 12th forward and the 13th forward ... but it's ridiculous to assume that none of the four is coming back, and that nobody is being signed.

13. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I doubt most of them will be back, guess we'll see.

14. get25

get25 Registered User

If McCaron stays with the team, we have two spots available in offense considering that Flynn, King, Ott and Martinsen are UFA.

I expect King to go back to LA.
    They will probably not resign Ott.

If we sign Martinsen, McCaron will have to be sent to AHL until there is an injury.
    He would have plenty of icetime with the Caps.

We will see. One thing for sure, McCarron is part of the plan. Martinsen would be good but his best season so far is 11 points at 25 years old.

He is faster than McCarron now but he is also 26 years old.
    We need to see where McCarron will be in 5 years. Pretty sure he is going to be better than Martinsen.
    5 years is a lot of time for a 21 year old player.
    Martinsen was never drafted and came in NHL at 25 years old in Colorado.

For now McCarron >> Martinsen > King.

15. Harpo

Harpo Lyle forever

Habs RFAs and UFAs: What would you offer?

Some contracts are up for renewal, what would you offer to these players in the offseason?

UFAs:
    Alexander Radulov
    Andrei Markov
    Dwight King
    Brian Flynn
    Steve Ott
    Andreas Martinsen

RFAs:
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Nathan Beaulieu
    Nikita Nesterov
    Charlie Lindgren

For me:

UFAs:
    Alexander Radulov: 5 years, 6M per year
    Andrei Markov: 2 years, 4M per year
    Dwight King: 1 year, minimum
    Brian Flynn: No offer
    Steve Ott: No offer
    Andreas Martinsen: 1 year, minimum

RFAs:
    Alex Galchenyuk: 7 years, 6M or bridge contract
    Nathan Beaulieu: Bridge contract at around 2.5M per year
    Nikita Nesterov: 1 year, minimum
    Charlie Lindgren: 2 years, +- 1M

16. Runner77

Runner77 **********************************************

Radulov, I like your opening offer but if they counter, I'd rather pay more with less term, like 4 years max.
    Markov, you're probably going to have to offer two years, so offer is reasonable.
    Dwight King has lost several steps, would rather have Ott. No offer to King.
    An offer to Ott, but he's too greedy, then move on quick.
    Martinsen yes.

Galchenyuk: trade him in a package for a bona fide no. 1C.
    Beaulieu: trade him, too erratic.
    Nesterov: 1 year, agreed.
    Lindgren: 2 to 3 years deal, agreed.

17. Victorius

Victorius Registered User

18. Adam Michaels

UFAs

Radulov: 4 x 6.5M
    Markov: 2 x 4M
    Martinsen: 2 x 750K
    Ott: 1 x 850K

King and Flynn, I'd offer them the easiest way to the exit. Ott isn't a must for me. But I'd keep him for 1 year because I've liked him so far. I am a Martinsen fan so I would love to keep him. Although I would like to see what King can do during the playoffs. He could very well earn an extension during the post-season.

RFAs

Lindgren: 3 x 1M (if I succeed in extending Price during the off-season, I'm trading Lindgren).
    Hudon: 3 x 800K
    de La Rose: 3 x 1M

DLR and Hudon, I'd even opt to give them 4 years because I can personally see them both in the NHL soon enough and those contracts can be real bargains.

Like Runner77 said, I'd look to move Galchenyuk & Beaulieu to see if I can get something significant in return. If I have to package them together to get it, I will. But if I choose to extend them:

Galchenyuk: 6 x 6.5M
    Beaulieu: 4 x 3M

No thanks to Nesterov unless he accepts to play for the Rocket and be called up if necessary. If not, my offer to him is to pay for his ticket to head back to Russia and the KHL.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  19. get25

get25 Registered User

Beaulieu is having a pace of .38 ppg (52nd), Same as Phaneuf and Chara, ahead of Rielly, Petry, Brodin, Vlasic, Muzzin, Stetcher, Pronorov and Boychuck.
    Methot is 48th at 4.9M, Vatanen is 49th at 4.875, Martin 5th at 4.850, Faulk is 51st at 4.833, Kronwall is 52nd at 4.750.
    Jack Johnson is 60th at 4.357, Hjalmarsson is 70th at 4.1 (as as Emelin).

I know he has some brain cramps but some does Emelin and many players among the 70 with 4.1M and more. 77 d-men have 4M and more.
    He is also pretty young and has been improving year after year.

Anyone sees him at 2.5M is dreaming. This is his third contract. Emelin 4.1M in his third contract (was going to be UFA).

As for Galchenyuk, he is a proven 30 goals scorer. He is also 51st in ppg this year (pace of 61 points). Keith is 100th in salary at 5.538. Couturier is 200th at 4.333.
    Among young players, you have RNH, Eberle, Saad, Forsberg, Duchene and Barkov (5.9) with 6M. Now, all these players signed their contract immediatly after their ELC.
    The only situation similar to Galchenyuk who already signed a bridge contract is Couture.
    If you give him a bridge contract for two years, he will be able to go in arbitration.

20. Belial

Belial Registered User

Radulov 5X6M or 6X5M
    Markov 1X5M or 2X4M, I would even go 3 years to be honest if he accepts 3M per year. I think he still has good hockey in him.
    King depends on the PO. As for now, goodbye.
    Flynn is gone.
    Ott is gone IMO. He would have to be amazing during the PO to get an offer.
    Martinsen , I would sign this guy to a 3 year contract on the cheap, I think he has untapped potential and could be a bargain going forward.

Chucky, anything under 6M long term would make my day.
    Nate the Great , if Bergevin could sign him long term at around 3M it would be a bargain going forward.
    Nesterov , I don't care.
    Lindgren will get at least 2 years at ~ 1 M. 3 years would be great!

21. Treb

Treb Moderator

UFAs:
    Alexander Radulov 3x7M or 5x6.75M
    Andrei Markov 1 x 4M
    Dwight King 1 x 1.5M or get out
    Brian Flynn 1 x 650k/250k 2-way deal for Laval or get out
    Steve Ott 1 x 650k or get out
    Andreas Martinsen 3 x 900k or 1 x 1M

RFAs:
    Alex Galchenyuk 8 x 6.5M
    Nathan Beaulieu 4 x 3M or 2x2.5M
    Nikita Nesterov 800k/250k two-way Laval and first call-up
    Charlie Lindgren 2 x 1.025M (max buryable cap hit next year)

Bonus UFA/RFA:
    Ryan Johnston Out
    DLR 2 x 950k 2-way
    Hudon 3 x 1M 2-way
    Hanley Out if we can get a better vet D in FA or Nesterov goes to Laval
    Farnham 1 x 650k 2-way
    Macmillan Out or AHL deal
    Thrower Out (damn injuries)
    Crisp Out
    Lowe 1x700k 2-way
    Matteau 1x650k two-way
    Friberg Sweden

22. le_sean

le_sean Registered User

No sense in re-signing King. I like him on the 4th line but the 4th turns into a 3rd if he comes back. I don't think he's worth that.

23. jaffy27

jaffy27 From Russia wth Pain

Airline Pilot
    Radulov....6.25m$ X 5yrs
    Markov....4.25m$ X 2yrs
    King.....Walk
    Flynn.....Walk
    Ott....900,000$ X 1yr
    Martinsen....850,000$ X 3yrs

Alex Galchenyuk.......6.15m$ X 6yrs
    Beaulieu.....trade
    Nesterov.....1.3m$ X 2yrs
    Lindgren......1.1m$ X 3yrs

24. Pierre Dagenais

Pierre Dagenais pissening

Why would Hudon agree to 3 years at 1 mil? He's taking a 1 year deal

25. Treb

Treb Moderator

A man gotta try :D

Depends if Hudon is confident he can make more than 1M in a year or two from now. Sometime players like guaranteed income over the years. Make the 3rd year (or even both the 2nd and 3rd) one-way if need be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.