Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Do the Habs have cap problems moving forward? Here Is what I figure to be the next 3 years of potential rosters and showing increases to each player that needs new contracts. There are a lot of moving variables but it gives us a picture of what our cap space looks like.

* Left out our #1C on purpose. This shows us what cap space we have to acquire that guy

* 2017-2018 Salary Cap ($75M), 2018-2019 Salary Cap (76.5M), 2019-2020 Salary Cap ($78M).

* Feel free to let me know if think some players should make less or make more. Not hurting my feelings as none us can predict the future. The purpose is to figure out how much cap space we have. Are we in ok shape cap wise? I say we are but Patch's contract may pose a problem. I say we trade him now!

qTLCKQE.jpg

DbgeS4K.jpg

OBHMg0s.jpg

So i think this would mean that we can afford a 7M #1C?
At the beginning of the year, i woudl have agreed at 6M for Galchy (I was drawing a comparable to Forsberg's contract) but now i think he would be better off with a shorter contract to break the bank later. 5K maybe?

I had Price at 8M and Markov 2 years at 8M total, but i think overall the estimate is fair. Good post, interesting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no way, Max gets close to 8M...............unless Nick Kypreos becomes a GM of a team...

I like it when people say "no way". He's a top 5 goal scorer in the NHL over the last few seasons and his contract will be negotiated 2 seasons from now (factor in inflation). There is no way you are even close to be realistic. I would hate the $8M contract for Patch just like when PK got the $9M contract. Remember, he was also extremely underpaid for several seasons now too. He's not doing us any favors in his next contract

Tell us what you think he gets if he continues to score 30+ goals in the next two seasons?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So i think this would mean that we can afford a 7M #1C?
At the beginning of the year, i woudl have agreed at 6M for Galchy (I was drawing a comparable to Forsberg's contract) but now i think he would be better off with a shorter contract to break the bank later. 5K maybe?

I had Price at 8M and Markov 2 years at 8M total, but i think overall the estimate is fair. Good post, interesting.

Yes, you see what I see. In a lot of cases, I showed max figures. I don't believe we have cap issues until we have to sign Patch. A lot can happen from here till there though.

We can afford everybody (Pleky and/or Emelin need to go though) and also acquire a top #1C for somewhere around $7M +/-

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Emelin and Plekanec must be gone to have a little bit of space on the salary cap. We just cant afford them next year. Pretty sure MB will sign Hanzal 4 years /22M

Might as well keep Plekanec. Hanzal at that contract is basically begging to have a Plekanec 2.0 situation on our hands down the line.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd trade Pacioretty while his cap hit is what it is to get a lot of value for moving him. He's a playoff no-show. How many times can he disappoint?

Emelin and Plekanec must be gone to have a little bit of space on the salary cap. We just cant afford them next year. Pretty sure MB will sign Hanzal 4 years /22M

1) That contract for Hanzal is gross but I could totally see Bergevin doing it.

2) I think Vegas may have their eyes on Hudon. Just a hunch.

Will Vegas take Pleks off of our hands?? This could help us out big time...maybe give them a 2nd to go with him...?

Doubt it, but I'm not against trying it. I just don't think Bergevin would be down to do it.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I'd trade Pacioretty while his cap hit is what it is to get a lot of value for moving him. He's a playoff no-show. How many times can he disappoint?

1) That contract for Hanzal is gross but I could totally see Bergevin doing it.

2) I think Vegas may have their eyes on Hudon. Just a hunch.

Doubt it, but I'm not against trying it. I just don't think Bergevin would be down to do it.

Agreed. Because you build through the draft. Even though you can't pick right and can't develop anyone.

I also think that Vegas will pick Hudon. They won't make only safe picks. They'll take a couple of chances. And it's not like the other options from this team are all that enticing anyway.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. Because you build through the draft. Even though you can't pick right and can't develop anyone.

I also think that Vegas will pick Hudon. They won't make only safe picks. They'll take a couple of chances. And it's not like the other options from this are all that enticing anyway.

Think it comes down to who we protect as our 7th forward (Pleky or Hudon) or our 3rd Defenseman (Benn, Davidson, or Beaulieu). IMO, if Beaulieu is left unprotected, he gets taken so he has to be protected over Benn who is UFA very soon. Then it comes down to who we protect between Pleky and Hudon. Hudon is a bit of a risk but so is Pleky who is UFA next year. However, there will be AHL players who are close to being NHL ready where Vegas will take them. Maybe 5 ish from across the league. Hudon just might be the guy we lose. Agreed.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
If we give 8M to Pacioretty I will take a break as a fan until MB is out.

That would be a gigantic mistake. I wouldn't give him anything more than 6.5 personally. I just don't think that 35 regular season goals is worth 8 million per season. Ya gotta do more than that to make the really big bucks.

Id honestly trade him this summer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be a gigantic mistake. I wouldn't give him anything more than 6.5 personally. I just don't think that 35 regular season goals is worth 8 million per season. Ya gotta do more than that to make the really big bucks.

Kessel got $8M for 8 years 4 years ago. Both are shooters who score goals.

Trust me, Patch is asking for $7-8M and remember, that contract is negotiated 2 years from now! Were best to trade him now because it's going to be a very hard negotiation to get him for anything less than $7M

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Kessel got $8M for 8 years 4 years ago. Both are shooters who score goals.

Trust me, Patch is asking for $7-8M and remember, that contract is negotiated 2 years from now! Were best to trade him now because it's going to be a very hard negotiation to get him for anything less than $7M

I would try and trade him for a young potential 1C that is not yet in the league, or very early in his career.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Hudon and DLR are waiver eligible.
Either they are with the team or they are gone.
Carr has a bigger chance to pass thru waivers.

Jerabek vs Davidson: I expect Jerabek to be a top-6.

Assuming that Emelin will be drafted by LV at 4.1M seems a bit far fetched for me.
Benn is the most likely choice of LV. Stable D-Men on the bottom-6 with PO experience.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Will Vegas take Pleks off of our hands?? This could help us out big time...maybe give them a 2nd to go with him...?

Depends on what George McPhee wants down centre. If you goto CapFriendly you can do an expansion draft and try to figure out who will be available.

He already has a top six guy in Shipachov.

The best available centres will probably be:

- Matt Stajan
- Marcus Krueger
- Carl Soderberg
- Nick Bjugstad
- Tomas Plekanec
- Calle Jarnkrok
- Kevin Hayes
- Patrick Berglund
- Lars Eller

I might be wrong. Who knows. But that's a good list to get a 2C, 3C, and 4C from. If Vegas needs to add cap space or McPhee wants the best defensive forward I can see him taking Plekanec. Otherwise... Tough crowd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would try and trade him for a young potential 1C that is not yet in the league, or very early in his career.

PLD comes to mind but don't think the coach in Columbus wants anything to do with Patch. lol

Not a popular trade but I would try for Giroux. I realize people have decline concerns but he's only 1 year older than Patch. If the Flyers retain $1.5M is salary for the remaining 5 years at 8.3M, I make that trade and give them Scherbak as well.

Patch, Scherbak for Giroux ($1.5M retained). Giroux for $6.8m from the age of 30-34 would not be a bad deal for us. Put Galchenyuk on the LW and go after another top 2 center. This would completely change our roster and Giroux shows up in big games. His playoffs stats are very very good!

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax

I agree with this, trade him now while at Max value. He's our ticket to a good center! After he re signs he'll be much harder to trade and we'll get less in return. Plus he's the Captain, don't we always trade our Captains? Haha

get25

Oct 17, 2015

Look at this list where Pacioretty is 4th.
None are paid less than Max by far (30%).
Pavelski has 3 goals more with 17 more games (lower gpg).

You need to consider the following wingers when talking about Patches: Ovechkin, Kane, Benn, Perry, Voracek, Nash, Parise, Tarasenko, Neal, Ryan, Kessel.
Remove Tarasenko from the picture, he signed a 8 year "bridge" contract.
Remove contract that were signed before 2012-13 like Nash, Ovechkin.
Remains Benn (9th), Perry (7th), Neal (14th), Voracek (55th), Ryan (50th) and Kessel (12th).

Few are paid below 8M:
Pavelski, Tavares are coming out of a "bridge" deal. Both will get 8+M. Most likely 10+M for Tavares.
Tavares signed for 5.5M: 5 years ago after his ELC.
Pavelski was given 6M after a 41, 31, 25, 25 goals seasons.
Pacioretty SCap is 4.5. Should have been 6M.

Marchand got 6.125 after one season over 28 goals.
When he signed he had 38, 28, 25 and 24 goals before signing his contract.

You don't think he is going to get 9M as a UFA?
Just look at Benn who got 9.5M after seasons of 41, 35 and 34 goals.
I know Benn is way better than Max in PO with 5 points in a grand total of 6 PO games in his career...:shakehead

Anyway this is how I look at the market.
Getting him at 7M would be a deal of humongous proportion.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I agree with you get25. Which is why I say trade him this summer so when he becomes a UFA he can get as much as possible from whomever.

Pacioretty can bring a good centre to Montreal.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I agree with this, trade him now while at Max value. He's our ticket to a good center! After he re signs he'll be much harder to trade and we'll get less in return. Plus he's the Captain, don't we always trade our Captains? Haha
No we let them go like we did with Koivu and Gionta.

But before year 2000, we traded Muller, Keane, Turgeon, Damphousse, Chelios and Carbonneau so all captains...

I guess the last captain that was not traded or let go was Gainey in 1981-1989.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
No we let them go like we did with Koivu and Gionta.

But before year 2000, we traded Muller, Keane, Turgeon, Damphousse, Chelios and Carbonneau so all captains...

I guess the last captain that was not traded or let go was Gainey in 1981-1989.

I thought we traded gionta too for some reason, oh well. Either way I hope Patches is next on the C train out of town! :)

get25

Oct 17, 2015
I agree with you get25. Which is why I say trade him this summer so when he becomes a UFA he can get as much as possible from whomever.

Pacioretty can bring a good centre to Montreal.
Given his SCap and contract, it has to be better than Duchene.

I know we desperately need a center but 2 years of Duchene at 6M is not good enough for two years of him at 4.5M.

Maybe Duchene + 2X2nd round picks but we would be depleted on the left with Lehkonen and Shaw. Danault? Galchenyuk? Hudon?

Close a hole somewhere and open another one is not really good.

But Galchenyuk - Duchene -Radulov would be a good first line. Lehkonen - Danault/Plekanec - Gallagher could also be good.
After Plekanec contract is over, we still need a 2nd or 3rd line center. Not sure McCarron is going to be a 3rd line center.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
8 million for Patches?? Seriously? I think you're a little disconnected with reality. If they ditched Subban because he asked for too much, Patches will be ran out of town at the TDL before we pay 8 million. This is insane.

Re-signing Markov @5 million @39 years old?? Also a bit insane if you ask me and I hope we can get a better deal, otherwise let him walk.

If we give 8M to Pacioretty I will take a break as a fan until MB is out.

Me x2, I'll go back to watch the NFL/CFL.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Time to rebuild at this point. When you traded away and got 4 years older(not going to mention value of trade) Price isn't a game breaker in the playoffs much as we all love him, Patches again with a massive hole in his heart, markov soon to be no more(just use him to train some kids properly) pleks doing his best downhill ski routine career wise(no ramp available) and really no one looking even close to stepping up outside of a very young Lehkonen. Tear it down and rebuild. Gally is all heart but will be destroyed bodily in 3 years, shaws contract and too much faith placed in a 3rd liner, lord byron vanishing in the playoffs because he really isn't a second or first line talent. Sooo much wrong on one team. Only talent we have and the kid is playing 4th line off position, worst position really, just make him play defence at this point.

This year turned an aging promise into an unmitigated disaster. I know some may think; if we just managed to get one or two... forget it, not going to happen. Still waiting on Radulov being resigned, only heart and talent player we have. Hoping all our injured guys won't be effected next year, still hoping JDLR and Mac are an answer :laugh:
Markov will still play at a high level next year, Petry can't be this meh next season, hoping emelin is picked up by vegas, hoping denault is going to be a 60 point center, you know once he is a bit older(almost 25 already) :shakehead

What do we have going for this version of the habs outside of price who will cost a bundle in the near future as will useless patches. TRADE TRADE TRADE, get what we can and rebuild. Keep weber and markov to train the next batch, hold onto lehk as our only decent top 6 without an * next to his name. Anyone else migvht as well see the door. Team is built so awful with our few promising guys being shattered this year it makes you weep for this team.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Trading both Emelin and Plekanec just like that, without taking on any salary in return... it might more difficult than OP assumes.

There's not much cap space left around the league, that's always the problem.

A team would certainly take Plekanec in a trade. I mean, we managed to trade Desharnais. But the point is, there's some salary going our way (either retention or cap dump).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Trading both Emelin and Plekanec just like that, without taking on any salary in return... it might more difficult than OP assumes.

A team would certainly take Plekanec in a trade. I mean, we managed to trade Desharnais. But the point is, there's some salary going our way (either retention or cap dump).

Unless it's to Vegas.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Good point but we're likely to trade either Pleky or Emelin in the same trade where we pick up the center we need. It won't be major problems to work around. Nothing that prevents us from making deals IMO. Every team that negotiates with us knows Pleky is going the other way and it's only one year left

Packaging Patch with Pleky plus other pieces for a #1C. There will be teams interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad