Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Many seem to discount Beaulieu. You are ready to trade a 24 years old LHD who can potentially score 40+ points.
So who plays top-4 on LHD next year: Markov, Emelin, Sergachev, Mete?

So you want to protect Petry who at 29 has 28 points for the first time?
I know he has a NTC but Petry had some brain cramps also.
Weber is obvious. Benn is 29 years and his best season is 20 points.
We may loose Emelin or Benn but protecting Weber, Petry and Beaulieu seems th obvious choice.

We would start the season with Weber, Petry, Markov, Beaulieu and at least one of Benn/Emelin. Not so sure Sergachev will be ready so we will need Redmond/Lernout/Hanley/other to be our 6th d-men unless we find a UFA.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They're stuck with Petry and his NMC. Why is he even being mentioned here? He shouldn't have gotten a long term deal but it is what it is.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Serious lowbaling I see for Markov. He has 4 kids with 3 or 4 women, that must be expensive.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
UFAs:
Alexander Radulov 3x7M or 5x6.75M
Andrei Markov 1 x 4M
Dwight King 1 x 1.5M or get out
Brian Flynn 1 x 650k/250k 2-way deal for Laval or get out
Steve Ott 1 x 650k or get out
Andreas Martinsen 3 x 900k or 1 x 1M

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk 8 x 6.5M
Nathan Beaulieu 4 x 3M or 2x2.5M
Nikita Nesterov 800k/250k two-way Laval and first call-up
Charlie Lindgren 2 x 1.025M (max buryable cap hit next year)

Bonus UFA/RFA:
Ryan Johnston Out
DLR 2 x 950k 2-way
Hudon 3 x 1M 2-way
Hanley Out if we can get a better vet D in FA or Nesterov goes to Laval
Farnham 1 x 650k 2-way
Macmillan Out or AHL deal
Thrower Out (damn injuries)
Crisp Out
Lowe 1x700k 2-way
Matteau 1x650k two-way
Friberg Sweden

UFAs:
Alexander Radulov 3x7M or 4x6.5M
Andrei Markov 1 x 4M
Dwight King you have to go back
Brian Flynn 1 x 0.9M
Steve Ott you have to go back
Andreas Martinsen 1 x 1M

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk 5 x 5.75M
Nathan Beaulieu 1 x 2.5M
Nikita Nesterov 1 x 0.9M two way
Charlie Lindgren 1 x 0.8M two way

Bonus UFA/RFA:
Ryan Johnston 2 x 0.7M two way
DLR 1 x 0.8M two-way
Hudon 1 x 1M
Hanley you have to go back
Farnham you have to go back
Macmillan you have to go back
Thrower you have to go back
Crisp you have to go back
Lowe you have to go back
Matteau you have to go back
Friberg 1 x 0.7M two-way

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
UFAs:
Alexander Radulov: Keep
Andrei Markov: Keep
Dwight King
Brian Flynn
Steve Ott
Andreas Martinsen: Keep

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk: Keep
Nathan Beaulieu: Keep
Nikita Nesterov
Charlie Lindgren: Keep

Unless King has a really good playoffs, let all the other players go

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Beaulieu is having a pace of .38 ppg (52nd), Same as Phaneuf and Chara, ahead of Rielly, Petry, Brodin, Vlasic, Muzzin, Stetcher, Pronorov and Boychuck.
Methot is 48th at 4.9M, Vatanen is 49th at 4.875, Martin 5th at 4.850, Faulk is 51st at 4.833, Kronwall is 52nd at 4.750.
Jack Johnson is 60th at 4.357, Hjalmarsson is 70th at 4.1 (as as Emelin).

I know he has some brain cramps but some does Emelin and many players among the 70 with 4.1M and more. 77 d-men have 4M and more.
He is also pretty young and has been improving year after year.

Anyone sees him at 2.5M is dreaming. This is his third contract. Emelin 4.1M in his third contract (was going to be UFA).

As for Galchenyuk, he is a proven 30 goals scorer. He is also 51st in ppg this year (pace of 61 points). Keith is 100th in salary at 5.538. Couturier is 200th at 4.333.
Among young players, you have RNH, Eberle, Saad, Forsberg, Duchene and Barkov (5.9) with 6M. Now, all these players signed their contract immediatly after their ELC.
The only situation similar to Galchenyuk who already signed a bridge contract is Couture.
If you give him a bridge contract for two years, he will be able to go in arbitration.
I'd trade Beaulieu

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
UFAs:
Alexander Radulov 6 X 5.75
Andrei Markov 2 X 4
Dwight King Playoff could change him but for now nothing.
Brian Flynn nothing
Steve Ott 1 year 850
Andreas Martinsen 2 X 850

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk 8 X 6 (But its wont happen)
Nathan Beaulieu 3 X 2.5
Nikita Nesterov gone
Charlie Lindgren 2-3 X 1.1

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Galchenyuk and Beaulieu need to pack their bags and gtfo, get something good in return for them.

Radulov, Markov and Lindgren are the only must signs from that list.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
UFAs:
Alexander Radulov 4x$5
Andrei Markov 2x$4
Dwight King bye bye
Brian Flynn bye bye
Steve Ott bye bye
Andreas Martinsen 2x$.750

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk 6x$5.5
Nathan Beaulieu trade
Nikita Nesterov bye bye
Charlie Lindgren 3x$.800

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Many seem to discount Beaulieu. You are ready to trade a 24 years old LHD who can potentially score 40+ points.
So who plays top-4 on LHD next year: Markov, Emelin, Sergachev, Mete?

So you want to protect Petry who at 29 has 28 points for the first time?
I know he has a NTC but Petry had some brain cramps also.

Weber is obvious. Benn is 29 years and his best season is 20 points.
We may loose Emelin or Benn but protecting Weber, Petry and Beaulieu seems th obvious choice.

We would start the season with Weber, Petry, Markov, Beaulieu and at least one of Benn/Emelin. Not so sure Sergachev will be ready so we will need Redmond/Lernout/Hanley/other to be our 6th d-men unless we find a UFA.

He has a NMC, not NTC, which means we are obligated by his contract to protect him unless he waives his clause.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
UFAs:
Alexander Radulov 4x$5
Andrei Markov 2x$4
Dwight King bye bye
Brian Flynn bye bye
Steve Ott bye bye
Andreas Martinsen 2x$.750

RFAs:
Alex Galchenyuk 6x$5.5
Nathan Beaulieu trade
Nikita Nesterov bye bye
Charlie Lindgren 3x$.800

I would do the same, although I do think Radulov will get more and Galchenyuk will get less than that.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Galchenyuk and Beaulieu need to pack their bags and gtfo, get something good in return for them.

Radulov, Markov and Lindgren are the only must signs from that list.

Two big confidence issue mistakes to make. Better be damn sure we get at least close to what we are trading away. PPG centerman and a 40 point dman don't just grow on trees. Both or very young as well.

We are going to be fleeced because
Galchenyuk and Beaulieu need to pack their bags and gtfo,

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I think its time to throw term at everybody to get the cap hits down and be top contenders for the first few years at least.

Galchenyuk has to me earned about what max pacs contract was. give him 5 years x 4.5

rad give him his 7 years but make it 8-7-6-5-4-3-2, 5 mil cap hit

markov 3 years, 5-3.5-2.5 under 4 mil hit.

no term for beaulieu yet, 2x1.5 tops

give plek 3 years x 3.5

when price comes up hopefully 8 years will keep his hit at 7.5-8 instead of 9-10

max pac 8x6 when hes up

use the savings to sign Tavares 7x7.5

patch-JT-gally 17m
byron/lek-chucky-rad 11m
byron/lek-plek-shaw 9m

sick top 9 for half your cap, plus price an web/petry/markov as the top 3 gives you about 8 -12 mil left to fill out the 4th line, bottom 3 d and backup goalie.

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
I think its time to throw term at everybody to get the cap hits down and be top contenders for the first few years at least.

Galchenyuk has to me earned about what max pacs contract was. give him 5 years x 4.5

rad give him his 7 years but make it 8-7-6-5-4-3-2, 5 mil cap hit

markov 3 years, 5-3.5-2.5 under 4 mil hit.

no term for beaulieu yet, 2x1.5 tops

give plek 3 years x 3.5

when price comes up hopefully 8 years will keep his hit at 7.5-8 instead of 9-10

max pac 8x6 when hes up

use the savings to sign Tavares 7x7.5

patch-JT-gally 17m
byron/lek-chucky-rad 11m
byron/lek-plek-shaw 9m

sick top 9 for half your cap, plus price an web/petry/markov as the top 3 gives you about 8 -12 mil left to fill out the 4th line, bottom 3 d and backup goalie.

If Galchenyuk signs for 5 years, it will be for more than 4.5M. I'd say it would look a bit like the Forsberg contract, probably a little less money.

7 years is just too long for Radulov, I'd say 4-5 years at 6M/y is fair.

I don't think Markov has 3 years left in him.

Beaulieu will earn more than 1.5M/y, I'd say 2.5 but I agree with the no term.

We are NOT re signing Plekanec.

Tavares will get AT LEAST 9M if he hits free agency.

We won't be signing Pacioretty for 8 years. He'll be 30 when his contract is up, so I'd say 4-5 years max if we re sign him. We'll see about the money based on how his play has evolved then.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
If Galchenyuk signs for 5 years, it will be for more than 4.5M. I'd say it would look a bit like the Forsberg contract, probably a little less money.

7 years is just too long for Radulov, I'd say 4-5 years at 6M/y is fair.

I don't think Markov has 3 years left in him.

Beaulieu will earn more than 1.5M/y, I'd say 2.5 but I agree with the no term.

We are NOT re signing Plekanec.

Tavares will get AT LEAST 9M if he hits free agency.

We won't be signing Pacioretty for 8 years. He'll be 30 when his contract is up, so I'd say 4-5 years max if we re sign him. We'll see about the money based on how his play has evolved then.

so in my scenario we give more term to radulov markov galchenyuk to keep their hits lower by a few mil combined so we could theoretically afford JT.

pacioretty had accomplished about the same as galchenyuk has when when he was 23 and signed that deal, look at kucherov too. Maybe 5-5.5 x5.

It's a big risk but if it works out and we win a cup all those deals will look like amazing deals. plus it shows our core were committed to them and believe in them, and them us by taking a little cut on the aav in return for the term.

I'm a big plek fan always have been and still think hes awesome. changed role decreased his production but hes an even bigger part of why we win games now than when he was centering patch and gallagher. in my opinion. best 3rd line c in the league for a few years yet i bet. plus you know, spent his entire career with us..

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
pacioretty had accomplished about the same as galchenyuk has when when he was 23 and signed that deal, look at kucherov too. Maybe 5-5.5 x5.

You don't compare today's contracts to ones you signed in 2013. Kucherov is on a 3-year bridge contract because they couldn't come to terms on a long-term deal. Galchenyuk is finishing up his bridge contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs Cap Space over the next 3 seasons

Do the Habs have cap problems moving forward? Here Is what I figure to be the next 3 years of potential rosters and showing increases to each player that needs new contracts. There are a lot of moving variables but it gives us a picture of what our cap space looks like.

* Left out our #1C on purpose. This shows us what cap space we have to acquire that guy

* 2017-2018 Salary Cap ($75M), 2018-2019 Salary Cap (76.5M), 2019-2020 Salary Cap ($78M).

* Feel free to let me know if think some players should make less or make more. Not hurting my feelings as none us can predict the future. The purpose is to figure out how much cap space we have. Are we in ok shape cap wise? I say we are but Patch's contract may pose a problem. I say we trade him now!

qTLCKQE.jpg

DbgeS4K.jpg

OBHMg0s.jpg

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Emelin and Plekanec must be gone to have a little bit of space on the salary cap. We just cant afford them next year. Pretty sure MB will sign Hanzal 4 years /22M

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012
If we give 8M to Pacioretty I will take a break as a fan until MB is out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Emelin and Plekanec must be gone to have a little bit of space on the salary cap. We just cant afford them next year. Pretty sure MB will sign Hanzal 4 years /22M

After reviewing the next 3 years. I don't believe we have issues until Patch has to be re signed. His next contract will pose problems for us.

Pleky and Emelin at this stage are not hard to move. Lets see where we stand after the expansion draft. It's very likely that one of these players are not on the roster come September (maybe both!)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we give 8M to Pacioretty I will take a break as a fan until MB is out.

If he keeps scoring 30+ goals in the next two seasons. $8M is the right number. And yes. I don't like it either! Now is the right time to shop him when his value is high and we can add our 1st round pick and more to acquire a younger #1C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad