Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd much rather trade Maatta for a C and extend Cole. Cole is very underrated and Maatta really is too slow for our style of play.

If Maatta goes for a C in a package for an impact C i'd like to see what Hutton would cost us, maybe even Edler? assuming Edler is fine with Sullivan now.Hutton-Schultz, Edler-Schultz. As for Cole? he will price himself off this team.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hunwick is a 32 yr old #6 Dman. Trading Maatta and having Hunwick fill in for him is beyond stupid. Good thing Madden has no actual sources, just BS. I get trading Maatta, But trading Maatta because you signed a run of the mill Dman sounds stupid and made up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
about 9 mins in.. Also at 5:30

Hainsey in the top 4 over a season would be... interesting.

From everything I've read about Hunwick, he seems to do much better when his minutes are limited to the bottom pairing. Of course, anything's possible if Gonch and Sully work with him a bit, but it'd be premature to look at him as any kind of Maatta replacement.

Cole seems like a more reasonable top 4 option at this point.

Hunwick is 32 so I wouldn't expect much improvement. Maybe the system, partner, usage or whatever can flatter him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't feel any more comfortable with Maatta replacing Dumoulin than Cole. He's just too damn slow to take on those minutes. He can face quality of competition but not those minutes.

I still want Markov here. But the Habs likely keep him now that Radulov is gone.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I think Pens should try Hunwick and Letang...According to Leafs fans, Hunwick played really good in playoffs and his partner was Morgan Rielly. Maybe try Hunwick with someone better than Rielly. IMO when Dumo and Schultz were together they were really good.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Alot of leaf fans seem to think Hainsey is a clear upgrade over Hunwick..there is no way Hunwick is worse. Hainsey was garbage, like the worst player for us, Hunwick can atleast skate really well and pass the puck. Lets hope Leaf fans are wrong, which they probably are lol.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
Alot of leaf fans seem to think Hainsey is a clear upgrade over Hunwick..there is no way Hunwick is worse. Hainsey was garbage, like the worst player for us, Hunwick can atleast skate really well and pass the puck. Lets hope Leaf fans are wrong, which they probably are lol.

You must have not seen that Hainsey coast to coast goal brahhh.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

You're why Hainsey's brother in law hates us. :sarcasm:

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
They both are solid. Hainsey was just a bad fit for us. You have to be able to make the first pass.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hainsey was playing top pair minutes with a guy who doesn't hide his weaknesses. Of course he looked bad.

If Hunwick is better at moving the puck while being a guy you can elevate his minutes in the postseason. Awesome.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Everything I have heard says Carolina. I wouldn't be upset if he came here at 50% retained for a low aquisition cost to be a 4C in a traditional shut down role. It would still allow us to target a better 3C option. Three scoring lines and a shut down line wouldn't be a bad idea.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Everything I have heard says Carolina. I wouldn't be upset if he came here at 50% retained for a low aquisition cost to be a 4C in a traditional shut down role. It would still allow us to target a better 3C option. Three scoring lines and a shut down line wouldn't be a bad idea.
That's an interesting proposition. It would make Reaves more effective giving him more shifts against the opposition's top players.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't feel any more comfortable with Maatta replacing Dumoulin than Cole. He's just too damn slow to take on those minutes. He can face quality of competition but not those minutes.

I still want Markov here. But the Habs likely keep him now that Radulov is gone.

If the 6M asking price is even close to accurate, Markov is an easy no for me.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Man, we never see eye to eye. I hate most of the moves the Stars have made this off-season, starting with their geriatric coaching retread.

That's true! So much so that I do a double take every time we do, because I immediately come to question myself :laugh: .

I don't know how it is possible to not acknowledge that the Stars have had an AWESOME market. Straight up different planets here.

Sure, I agree that Hitch is a risk with his age and how he ultimately wore down at the Blues, but this is not some Bylsma level idiot here.
He did very well with the Blues for the majority and his teams just couldn't overcome the fact that their GM NEVER got a genuine 1C AND that their goal tending would eventually come below regular season standards when it mattered. They bowed out against very good teams on the regular.

The Stars is a team that won the Western Conference two seasons ago, despite a terrible defense and evident lack of defensive structure (Ruff-style). They declined even further on that last year, at the same time as their weak goal tending took a turn for disastrous and injuries took its toll on their depth.

So, they already had super stars on offense, and they go out and get a coach who is justly famous for getting team D sorted. Then they add a nr. 1 goalie which plugged a really big hole. Then they get a very competent stay at home top4 D-man in Methot, who should work very well with Klingberg and really help them in the playoffs.
Then they add the best 3C on the market (or shut down 2nd line C depending on utilization) - and Dallas know what they're getting having seen Hanzal in division for a long time. After that it is a quick, aggressive fourth liner who can score some in Pittlick, at a good cap hit. And the cherry on the cake - the best UFA forward in the market at a more than decent contract. Someone who can help share the burden of creating while at the same time playing hard nosed hockey.

Unless you take your "Hitch will fail" line and see absolutely everything through that prism, saying that you hate most the Dallas makes absolutely no sense. Unless you - like me - are actually envious of pretty much every one of them (save Bishop for whom we have no need/use).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, if that is a line they could be ridiculous. Though I suspect they'll be better off splitting one of the wings to the 2nd line.

They'll have the versatility to change depending on the match-up.

Pretty formidable. Glad they're in the West - the Leafs will be more than enough to contend with.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
I'm watching all access quest for the cup 1st of the b2b on NHL network. Well because I'm an addict and hockey is my drug of choice. And frankly the view from the top feels too good.

A couple things stick out to me. Some obvious,some I brushed over.

Hbk was so ridiculous I can't even describe it. I guess a lot of variables changed that for one reason or another. But God it was special.

I come away really wanting dad back again selfishly, I think 1 more year of him even with regression is a lot better than the alternative. And I know it gets passed over but there is a "room" factor like it or not. Now I have no problems with who we moved on from. But it did suffer a huge blow in that regard with fleury/kunitz/bonino/Daley

What the heck happened to this playoff kuhnackl. His contributions might not have shown up on the scoresheet,but I'm not sure he made a mistake the entire run. Nothing fancy smart play every time. Was extremely hard on the puck even tho his physicality is alil lacking.

Lemme pivot back to Cullen. I'd really like to see him play with reaves,who I'm hoping can be a turbocharged steroid version of kuhnackl. Who Dad played pretty darn well with. Now kuhnackl I'm assuming has better hands considering he had some decent scoring pedigree when drafted. But reaves is better on the boards, cullens really good cycling center. Reaves will be even harder on the puck in a different fashion. Dad found himself in some prime chances with the forechecking causing so many mistakes, and his high iq being there to capitalize. I'm secretly hoping Archibald can move to lw, can you imagine reaves and Archibald just blowing ***** up on his flanks.

Alright I'm sorry I'm rambling, I'm just anxiously awaiting how the roster is gonna shape.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Not too many teams out there with a forward trio that can top Benn/Seguin/Radulov.

None, actually.

But I agree with you that this is unlikely. At least if I was them I would try to see if their stars couldn't help elevate some of other options so they can utilize the depth they have.

Brett Ritchie for instance is a guy who needs to be setup and is looking like he will develop into a useful power forward for them. Roussel is an effective player as a third wheel also and I could surely see the same for a guy like Devin Shore.

Question is where Spezza's position is. He is much better at C - as is Seguin - and I don't think Hanzal ever played anything else (would be a shame also) which would go for Faksa also. Janmark can play wing if he is ready again, but he is also a natural C even if he sucks on faceoffs.

Really - JR SHOULD be trying for Faksa. Pouliot and 1st or something like that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Teams always talk up their acquisitions, but JR said he looks at him as a more defensive Daley replacement.

The guy did play 25 minutes in the playoffs.

Keep in mind that like 4 out of their 6 games went to OT (some double OT). So his minutes were kind of inflated due to that. He wasn't getting 25 minutes per game in 60 minute contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad