Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Staal would be amazing, especially considering this team has great depth at the wings now. He never hit that high that some believed he could, but as 3C he was and is one of the very best. His cap hit might not work though, and I wonder what Carolina would want in return (is CAR management, outside of Francis, not a bit angry at JR?).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Rask and Staal are CAR's top 2 C's.
That's not gonna change with Kruger, if he lands there.
Staal's only available if he wants out or they land Duchene, imo.

And Jussi can't skate well enough or play good enough defense as a C.
So if JR was interested in Jussi, it'd eventually be for winger depth while still searching for a C'Man.
Don't really see the point since we're flush with wingers atm.
Maybe in the trade for a 3C you use Sheary and have some $ left to beef up the winger depth.
Then i'd be interested in possibly adding Jussi on the cheap.
Don't see the point in adding him right now.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Definitely dropped some major hints in there. I still have no idea how we would get him back though.

Said Carolina has added a ton of salary this off season and they'd love to be around the cap floor cause Karmanos is the hockey version of Bob Nutting

Yeah I don't get how we'd land Staal either, there'd have to be some retention and I don't know if Jordan Staal wants to go back to that 3rd C duty but maybe he might given he's had no playoff success in Carolina for the last 5yrs.

The problem is that the Canes are paying Staal to be a top 6 C. But he produces like a 3rd line C. I'd rather go after Bozak to be honest, he has chemistry with Kessel, is a RHC which we severely lack, especially a competent one and he's a solid 2-way player and he's quick.

And of course, I look at the "When Malkin gets hurt, can he take that 2C spot for a bit and not kill us?" - Bozak ticks that box off, he'd be perfectly fine with Kessel as his RW and you throw in Hagelin on the other side and you might have something better than HBK.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Staal would be amazing, especially considering this team has great depth at the wings now. He never hit that high that some believed he could, but as 3C he was and is one of the very best. His cap hit might not work though, and I wonder what Carolina would want in return (is CAR management, outside of Francis, not a bit angry at JR?).

Staal is going to cost more than what we got from Carolina shipping him off. With his brother long gone he is an absolute cornerstone of their top 6. Essentially its him an Rask as their top 6 centers. We would have to PAY to get him, and retention would be a pipe dream short of massive overpayment so his salary wouldn't work, to begin with.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JR has his favorites tho. I mean, he traded Sutter away - twice.
So why cant he trade for Staal two times? :)

I agree tho. Staal would cost serious assets to aquire. So its a moot point, it wont happen.

I really have no idea which center we are going for....
I just know i want it done before camp. Im not comfortable at all going into the season with rowney/Bluegers/Simon as our 3 and 4 centers. And im absolutely against playing Guentzel ar center

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Does that mean we no longer hold his rights as a prospect?
Well, technically we hold his rights until August 15th 2017, and after that he is an UFA and could potentially sign an NHL deal with any team (I believe that there has to be an opt-out exit from an AHL deal to sign an NHL contract).
But since he signed with the WBS he is still in the "organization".

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Staal is going to cost more than what we got from Carolina shipping him off. With his brother long gone he is an absolute cornerstone of their top 6. Essentially its him an Rask as their top 6 centers. We would have to PAY to get him, and retention would be a pipe dream short of massive overpayment so his salary wouldn't work, to begin with.

He's a 6m cap hit that produces 45pts on average. Aho, Skinner, Rask Lindholm, Teravainen all produce as well, as close to, or better.

I think those cheap ***** are probably seeing if Jordan would give them his list of teams he'd go to and see if they can, if anything the Jordan Staal project was very much tied to Erik Staal and now that he's gone and Jordan hasn't blossomed into that 2nd line C he was supposed to be, why wouldn't they move on?

I'd be curious about Jason "Paul Rudd" Demers too, a solid defenseman that can produce 35~ pts a season, is a RHD and can PK. Demers was on the 2nd best PK averaging 3rd most minutes per game on that D. He's supposedly being shopped and has his pick and nixed going to Vancouver likely because he wants to be on a contender. Cap hit wise, he's 4.5m.

Just to bring Trocheck home, I'd think long and hard about Maatta + Sheary + a pick for Trochek + Demers. if the aim is to pick 31st next year too, I'd move that 1st if Florida retained on Demers.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He's a 6m cap hit that produces 45pts on average. Aho, Skinner, Rask Lindholm, Teravainen all produce as well, as close to, or better.

I think those cheap ***** are probably seeing if Jordan would give them his list of teams he'd go to and see if they can, if anything the Jordan Staal project was very much tied to Erik Staal and now that he's gone and Jordan hasn't blossomed into that 2nd line C he was supposed to be, why wouldn't they move on?

I'd be curious about Jason "Paul Rudd" Demers too, a solid defenseman that can produce 35~ pts a season, is a RHD and can PK. Demers was on the 2nd best PK averaging 3rd most minutes per game on that D. He's supposedly being shopped and has his pick and nixed going to Vancouver likely because he wants to be on a contender. Cap hit wise, he's 4.5m.

Just to bring Trocheck home, I'd think long and hard about Maatta + Sheary + a pick for Trochek + Demers. if the aim is to pick 31st next year too, I'd move that 1st if Florida retained on Demers.

Trust me I'm right there with you, I'm not blind, bringing Staal back into the fold would be a major move that would make us dominant NHL favorites. And it should be something GMJR as an insider on both the Staal trade to being with and the Canes ORG should kick the tires on. But I am highly hesitant to view it as anything in likelihood that'll happen. Mostly due to his salary, retention on him is basically a pipe dream, and outside of him yes they have quality forwards but who can they slot up at center? I give a Staal trade some where around a 5% or less move.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Canes aren't interested in trading Jordan at all. He's one of the best defensive forwards in the league, a legit 2C, one of the best faceoff and PK players in the league and scores 45-50 points while playing ridiculously tough minutes with marginal talented linemates. The asking price for him in a trade, I can assure you, would be sky-high.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Florida seems to be a team with a lot of depth at centers and a little short on wings, that could use a swap for a player like Sheary (+ a pick since he is RFA).
Trocheck or Bjugstad would be interesting as 3C.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bjugstads value must be at an all time low. The question is if he can raise his level of play.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
It's not about how much Staal would cost, it's about Carolina hitting the cap floor! You can write him off.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Bjugstads value must be at an all time low. The question is if he can raise his level of play.

Yeah, he has the tools, but there's a real question as to whether or not he can put them together.

It'd ultimately depend on the asking price, or if he's even on the market. Ultimately, though, I think that if we can get Carolina to retain a bit of salary, Staal would be my ideal choice for what's realistically available, because he's got the size and has been an establish 3C for a while. If he's not or the price is too high, then you start looking at guys like Bjugstad who have the potential and could use a change of scenery.

But if, say, by chance Teravainen is on the market, you obviously change plans accordingly and go for him. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's not about how much Staal would cost, it's about Carolina hitting the cap floor! You can write him off.

True, I forgot about that. But there might be other salary dumps that we could swing as part of a multi-team deal in that case. Hell, take Orpik for a 7th and trade him plus whatever the offer was to Carolina for Staal. :laugh:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I know this is a real shocker coming from me... but Jordan Staal at $6M/year is a hard pass.

If you're going to pay that much money for a 40 point guy, why not just sign Bonino then? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Can't overpay for 3rd line centers

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have a feeling that the turnover on the Pens isn't over. They have lost 6, maybe 7 (Cullen), already and I can see another 4 or 5 moving out. It would not surprise me if Maatta, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl, Hagelin (cap reasons), and Sheary, sign and trade, are not with the Pens next year.

Well, I don't think they will all be gone by the start of this season, but by the start of 2018-19 I could see it.

I am hoping we keep Maatta and Pouliot. I would like to see our own draft picks pan out. Maatta certainly has, but now it's time for Pouliot to force his way back into the picture. Force Sullivan to carry 8 D and 1 spare forward when the season starts.

In a sense, Pouliot is not only competing with Ruhwedel when training camp arrives, he'll be competing with Kuhnhackl, Wilson and Archibald, too. I think at least 2 of these guys will go on waivers in early October, if we don't trade any of them by then.

I would also add Rowney to that list IF we were able to acquire 2 centers this summer.

I just noticed that Malkin is currently the oldest forward on the team :amazed:
Only new comers Hunwick and Niemi are older on this team, even between the depth players.
Or Geno is getting older or this team is so ****ing young and our window will be open for years to come :yo:

I think the window is open wide, to be honest. Both Sid and Geno have missed a ton of games over the last decade. They don't have the HARD hard miles on their bodies that some other 18-year-old and 19-year-old players have logged.

As for the age thing, Niemi first has to make the team in order to be the team grandpa. I mean, at this point even Casey DeSmith might beat him out.

Dk has a new article out and in it he mentions ruhtford loving Jordan staal and such

I know this is a real shocker coming from me... but Jordan Staal at $6M/year is a hard pass.

If you're going to pay that much money for a 40 point guy, why not just sign Bonino then? Just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Can't overpay for 3rd line centers

Jordan Staal is on another level. Bonino was a nice fill-in after the Sutter fiasco, but could this team lose a playoff series with Staal back?

There is a reason why he is paid $6 million...he is damn good.

I would take my chances with ANYBODY at 4C if we could land Jordan to play 3C. If the money does not work, trade Hagelin. Trade Hornqvist. Hell, trade Cole.

Everybody is worried about defense. Well, if you bring back Staal you can stop worrying.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Goodmorning
Ladies and gents
Well for me it is.....
Tradesugg.1
Hagelin to devils -Henrique to pens ?
Possible?
Suggestion number 2
Scott wilson+3round draftpick -18 for
Radek Faksa ,Dallas
Possible?
Or am i still dreaming?
Yeye : )

You're dreaming.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love how the guys the Pens have acquired this offseason are all 30+ and a bunch of posters are projecting improvement from all of them. On average, pro athletes over 30 don't get better.

That said, Hunwick doesn't need to get better to justify this signing. He's a good third pairing guy making third pairing money.
They also don't need to actually get better to become more effective. Putting them in a better situation can make them more effective without making them better as individuals. See Trevor Daley or Matt Cullen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm on board for Jussi IF he comes at 1m or less and will take on responsibilities of a defensive 4th C with skill.

I love Jussi. I think he'd be a perfect 4C if he wants to come back for less money. Huge fan.

I am a big fan of Bjugstad too. He may be a guy that needs a bit of a change. Huge physical ability.

They could keep a portion of his salary to reach the floor. In all honesty, as much as I love Staal, I'm not sure after watching him for the last few years that I want to circle back around to that. He's just really awful offensively. If Caroline retained half, I'd consider it, but then you have to factor in what we'd have to give up for them to do that.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
3rd line center

lol "riptide" thank you
but i didnt get if it were the pens offer that was to low??
ohh anyway have a good day...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I seriously doubt Staal would be awful offensively with us. We won the Cup with awful Bonino offensive production. Staal would be an upgrade in every aspect, save for maybe shot-blocking. No big deal.

Anyway, if teams like Carolina want to one day leapfrog over us, they can't trade us their good players.

But if they are willing, we'll take them gladly.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I seriously doubt Staal would be awful offensively with us. We won the Cup with awful Bonino offensive production. Staal would be an upgrade in every aspect, save for maybe shot-blocking. No big deal.

Anyway, if teams like Carolina want to one day leapfrog over us, they can't trade us their good players.

But if they are willing, we'll take them gladly.

Yeah, I would love what he would bring to the room and in terms of shutting down opponents. The guy will give you a consistent 45 points. That is one thing with Staal...he's tremendously consistent offensively - tremendously average...but consistent.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With Ottawa picking up a depth center in Nate Thompson... I wonder who becomes available? Ottawa has some pretty decent depth centers options in Z.Smith, Thompson, Pageau and White.

For a team that's a little more budget conscious then most teams, I wonder if Smith would be available? Not sure what it would cost - likely futures.

Sheary @ 2.75m
Dumo @ 4.25m

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Smith - Hornqvist
Wilson - Rowney - Reaves
Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Cole - Schultz
Maatta - Hunwick
Ruhwedel/Pouliot

MM/AN