Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Once or twice I think. I'm pretty sure Hunwick means Maatta is getting traded stems from them looking up that Hunwick's a LHS.

Which is where most rumors are started. Nashville signs a 5th dman, now they are immediately landing Duchene. It couldn't be because their 3rd pairing got **** kicked around last year. Seriously... watch Game 5. I don't think Irwin would have had a worse game. It was downright nasty.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Alzner looks a heck of a lot like Cole to me in style and stat profile, and age isn't far off. Would you want to give Cole that contract? Alzner has some hard miles on him too, and doesn't have the rings.

And yeah, I'd give PH up to 5 years if that's what it took. He'll still be scoring 15-20 goals a year when he's 36, just like almost every other guy who played like him. But I think we end up giving him 3 or 4 years @ 5M.

Not a chance. Someone might... but it certainly wouldn't be us. If we let Bonino walk over 4x4.1m, there's not a chance we would give Cole 3.75m+.

Nope, and if he wants that contract, then just like Bonino, you thank him for his service and let him go on his way. As many have already said over the last few months... Cole is someone you keep if his cap hit is reasonable (say 3.5m or less) and the term is reasonable (3-4 years).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think the org being willing to move Maatta if the deal is right is exactly news.

Hunwick being seen as a top 4 guy is though, if he's right. If they're right and Hunwick is a legit top 4 gangster... then sure. Seems a bit optimistic going from Toronto fans posts mind.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hunwick a #6/#7 does not make Maatta expendable at all lol, Wtf? Good luck with Hunwick in your top 4....

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Zacha obviously has some promise but why put more pressure on him to be the #1 guy in their situation? Or am i misunderstanding what you're saying about him? Let him continue to develop at a normal pace, etc. NJ's D doesn't look great but based on the type of D we'd be willing to trade, I don't see how Henrique would be involved in that equation. In any case looking at stats a bit closer I'd probably prefer Zajac despite being older, because of his faceoff skills. I guess we'll see but I don't see NJ trading Henrique to anyone really. Not saying he's all-world, I just don't see anything about his situation that forces their hand when they could move other assets. Unless they're going after a top D, which they're not getting from us in any event.

I don't think there's a chance that NJ moves Zajac. Sure he's overpaid, but he's the one doing the heavy lifting for NJ. He protects and shelters the rest of their centers.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Well, to get a Duchene or Henrique it's likely costing Maatta, so not really breaking news in that sense.

Duchene I could get on board with even if it opened up that hole on d. For henrique,I'd probably be ticked about.

As I've said before I'm not maatta's biggest fan. However serious question here, how much better of a dman is hamonic than maatta? Yes Travis is way more abrasive, but is he a better defenseman? I can't unequivocally say yes. And we seen what kinda value he had. Olli being younger and on a good deal compared to what's being spent now. I'd be highly agitated if it's for henrique.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hunwick a #6/#7 does not make Maatta expendable at all lol, Wtf? Good luck with Hunwick in your top 4....

Remember when you said this about Justin Schultz:

Just wasted a 3rd.....
Even if he plays well, he has a 3.9mil QA. So we lose him if he plays well.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2037761&highlight=

Maybe just keep an open mind. See how the guy plays for us before claiming he is/isn't something. Maybe Hunwick found his home here in the Burgh where he plays a style he likes. Maybe he busts. Who knows? Let's see it first.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep, Niskanen and Daley were both also seen as bad players before coming here. From what I can tell, Hunwick is good at the things we like our D to be good at.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nah, he said the Pens expected him back then, which they did at that time. He did hint that Letang was going to be done shortly before they announced it officially.

I'm not putting the guy down, but at this exact same time - we had a user on HF telling us to "think Peyton Manning" when it comes with Letang. At the exact same time this tweet came out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What about AA from Detroit? They have $2.26m in space with him a depth F and Tatar to sign.

Tatar will command $3.0m+ so when they LTIR Franzen they'd have $3.1m wiggle room. Possibly another $750k added once call ups are done.

Offersheet $3.85m for 4 years

Two things immediately come to mind.
1) that Detroit doesn't need to be cap compliant for 3+ months.
2) that AA is not a center. He took a grand total of 83 faceoffs last year. Oh, and he didn't even win 50% of them.

AA would be an amazing pickup. But I question whether he's actually a center at the NHL level or if he's just a winger.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
yep, Niskanen and Daley were both also seen as bad players before coming here. From what I can tell, Hunwick is good at the things we like our D to be good at.

Daley wasn't he was just seen as a guy not having a good season.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Duchene I could get on board with even if it opened up that hole on d. For henrique,I'd probably be ticked about.

As I've said before I'm not maatta's biggest fan. However serious question here, how much better of a dman is hamonic than maatta? Yes Travis is way more abrasive, but is he a better defenseman? I can't unequivocally say yes. And we seen what kinda value he had. Olli being younger and on a good deal compared to what's being spent now. I'd be highly agitated if it's for henrique.
Yeah, moving Olli is a win now move and the Pens would have to pick up a short term replacement, maybe not until the deadline, but no worse than going into the season without a bonified 3C.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's as good as or better than Laraque at everything hockey related Laraque was good at, and Reaves can also skate waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Laraque. Being able to skate it huge, especially if you want to to be giving out big hits. Reaves can actually hit a guy while he has the puck instead of 2 seconds after its gone. Reaves isn't just investing in the physical game, he is actively disrupting the other team's breakout.

I don't need to go any further, my point was made, it was a horrible value trade, end of story. If you can say it is an overpayment does it really matter what amount it is when you are talking about a 4th liner?

Certain games he won't even crack the 10:00 minute mark, sometimes not even the 6:00/7:00 minute mark. There will be games where they don't even need him at all. Him being the best of the league with precious few of his ilk, if any anymore.

Reaves can take a regular 4th line shift and not make people worry the other team is going to exploit that. That is what JR wanted. A fighter that can play the game fairly competently. Not even sure why people are still so scared of this.

Read above.

He didn't see real time until after the holidays. Taking a regular shift should never be less than 8:00 to 10:00 a game, yet he played far less a lot.

Nobody is really attacking Reaves the player, he is serviceable, just the trade value is horrible. Nobody is scared having him. Not even the teams they play.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

He does make a good point though.

If Maatta is traded an impact player needs to come back. Whether that be a wing, center or another defenseman. If the Penguins trade Maatta, I'd hope they'd have a trade lined up for someone like Jason Demers.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Here are the tweets and the Letang part sounds like ********.

He also had this gem recently but the lack of interest is a convenient excuse for him not being traded.

I went on his twitter for you people.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

He can skate. I hear some Leaf fans complain about brain fart passes but that might be able to be limited by systems and coaching.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

For what's it worth and I'm sure it's not alot. But I was very impressed with him against the caps. I watched alot of leafs games this year because they were very exciting with all the youngsters. And personally I loved the signing. I wasn't pegging him for top 4 duty however. We'll see things could be worse,I trust this staff at this point.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Daley wasn't he was just seen as a guy not having a good season.

I think MOST Penguins fans were more than happy to see Scuderi go. I think out of those people... the majority honestly couldn't care less who was even coming back.

But there was quite a bit of negativity surrounding Daley, in general. Kinda seen by more than a few as a "necessary evil" of getting Scuderi off the books. Chicago fans were downright brutal towards him. Not surprising, I guess. But to hear them tell it, the Penguins gave up a terrific, misunderstood super-leader who would be instantly rehabilitated under a real team for a walking garbage heap. Kinda ended up being the other way around.

And you're doing the lord's work, vabm8. Praise be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad