Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Keep in mind that like 4 out of their 6 games went to OT (some double OT). So his minutes were kind of inflated due to that. He wasn't getting 25 minutes per game in 60 minute contests.

He actually averaged 25:40 in the 3 non OT games.

EDIT: My bad the site I was on showed only 3 OT games. So that's more like 21 mins in the non OT games. Still he was close to Rielly's ATOI over the whole series.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Seems like one way or another the jackets will try to add a big name player.
Portzline has also been saying that the team is driven to make a move, in particular Duchene.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He can skate. I hear some Leaf fans complain about brain fart passes but that might be able to be limited by systems and coaching.

Agreed. Some of the decisions players make with the puck have to be tempered with what the coach is asking them to do. Obviously he's not saying give it away in the neutral zone, but if he's asking a player to make plays/passes he can't regularly complete, is that his fault or the coaching staff's for asking something he can't do?

He'll be better then Hainsey at the things Hainsey sucked at (skating out of trouble, moving the puck), but he won't be quite as good defensively as Hainsey was. It's a trade off.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't believe the final run of tests on his neck had been done yet, had they? Until the results of those came back, it seemed everyone believed he would be ready to go for the playoffs. Like I said, on his radio show, he hinted at Letang being done before the org made the announcement. I remember it being just a day or two after the talk of him just being near ready to return.

My understanding was (from Letang) that everything was on track for him to return prior to the end of the season, and then while training it got tweaked, and that was that - surgery.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Reading some potential trade articles and one team that may need some speed/scoring on the wings now is the SJ Sharks with the loss of Marleau.
Meier will be inserted but is still only 20 so isn't gonna be relied on to carry a heavy offensive load.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Why's Russo so obsessed with Cullen going to Minnesota? He's normally a good reporter but this is getting weird.

Yeah it's getting a little old. And it doesn't seem to be based on anything more than the theory that his wife wants him in Minny. From any article I've read, the whole family is pretty appreciative of JR and how he's had Cullen's back through the years. Fletcher wasn't even interested in Cullen two years ago.

Seems like just clickbait stuff to me, and needing to come up with articles to write when your team just keeps finding ways to lose.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
They only had 2 non-OT games ...

He played 21:42 and 19:43, respectively, in them.

Link

That is still top 4 minutes type defenseman. So if Hunwick is playing on our 3rd pairing that is a pretty good player to have in that position. I would be fine with him on either the 2nd our 3rd pairing because I believe both pairings will play the same amount of minutes. Letang will play his 25+'minutes a game and Dumoulin 21+ minutes a game with the other 4 defenseman getting between 18-20 minutes each. I believe any of the 6 starting defenseman can play 20 minutes any given night just like they did in the playoffs this year.

I still would not trade Maatta unless it was put of a package for a stud for the 3C spot. I would much rather trade a winger like Sheary for that 3C. I don't.see how someone like Sheary could not bring in a good 3C by himself with all he brings to a team (young, productive 71 point pace, 2 Cups experience). Has to be a decent trade fit with some team.

Although even without Maatta I think Hunwick would still be fine.

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruhwedel
We could survive that group but I would want another veteran signed for depth. Like I said the only way I would do that is for a stud like Duchene.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
are we giving him the powerplay? Because he's one of the best powerplay D in the league more than anything.

He should absolutely be given PP time since he's one of the best. But 63% of his points were at ES last year. That's a higher % than Burns, Karlsson and Hedman.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I'm beginning to think the opposite here.

No one saw easier opposition than Cole last season out of our regular defence. He's an okay puck mover, but nothing great. He takes a lot of stupid penalties.

I like having him here, he's been good for us, but our next fixture on the top 4 he should not be.

Idk I thought he was our 3rd best dman in the playoffs behind Dumoulin and Schultz. He can skate, move the puck, be physical and kill penalties. What's not to like?

I wouldn't pay Cole much more than he's getting. He isn't a guy you want to count on as a top 4 D man. He's an excellent #5 and can move up to fill in when need be but expecting him to succeed in a top 4 role and paying him over 3mil is a risk we don't need to take.

I'd easily give him 3x3. He's absolutely worth it.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Why's Russo so obsessed with Cullen going to Minnesota? He's normally a good reporter but this is getting weird.

Russo did this same thing last year. Pretty sure he even declared it was a done deal for Cullen to the Wild.

Personally, I don't see why Matt would throw away a chance to go for a 3-peat to play for Big Game Bruce.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He should absolutely be given PP time since he's one of the best. But 63% of his points were at ES last year. That's a higher % than Burns, Karlsson and Hedman.

Well one of him or Schultz won't be getting the PP time they should be getting for their price. I dunno, I just don't see him as a 6 million dollar d-man anymore, especially if he wants 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad