Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a feeling that the turnover on the Pens isn't over. They have lost 6, maybe 7 (Cullen), already and I can see another 4 or 5 moving out. It would not surprise me if Maatta, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl, Hagelin (cap reasons), and Sheary, sign and trade, are not with the Pens next year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Guy is as smart as they come so i believe him. Wonder what his HF username is though.

Guy may be smart... but I disagree with his premise that Hunwick will lose his legs when he's 32, 33 or 34.

Hainsey in the top 4 over a season would be... interesting.

His effectiveness here was actually pretty impressive. Didn't look pretty, but he did more often then not accomplish the job.

Hunwick is 32 so I wouldn't expect much improvement. Maybe the system, partner, usage or whatever can flatter him.

I'd say a mix between system, coaching staff and the on ice support we can give him. For starters we won't be pairing him with a Polak caliber player. His worse case scenario is playing RD with Maatta or with Cole - both of whom are significantly better than Polak when it comes to moving the puck. Which means he won't be forced to be the primary PMD on his pairing. That alone should make life a lot easier for him.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I have a feeling that the turnover on the Pens isn't over. They have lost 6, maybe 7 (Cullen), already and I can see another 4 or 5 moving out. It would not surprise me if Maatta, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl, Hagelin (cap reasons), and Sheary, sign and trade, are not with the Pens next year.

There will be some movement next year for sure. The 18-19 season we have 5 forwards , 5 d men and a goalie signed with 21mil left (+ any increase).

That probably makes Maatta less likely to be traded given his contract but we start getting tighter next season cap wise but a good GM can make it work well. Luckily we have one. We wont end up like a Washington

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Why's Russo so obsessed with Cullen going to Minnesota? He's normally a good reporter but this is getting weird.

Yeah it's getting a little old. And it doesn't seem to be based on anything more than the theory that his wife wants him in Minny. From any article I've read, the whole family is pretty appreciative of JR and how he's had Cullen's back through the years. Fletcher wasn't even interested in Cullen two years ago.

Seems like just clickbait stuff to me, and needing to come up with articles to write when your team just keeps finding ways to lose.

Even Yohe said the other day that he's been told that his wife wanted to go back to Minnesota last year, and it's the same issue this summer whether he retires or not.

Again, Russo has known Cullen for a long time and seems to have a good relationship with him. He's not just throwing **** at the wall here.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I hope the Kruger to Carolina rumors are true.
Could make Teravainen available to us. Or Staal.....

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I love how the guys the Pens have acquired this offseason are all 30+ and a bunch of posters are projecting improvement from all of them. On average, pro athletes over 30 don't get better.

That said, Hunwick doesn't need to get better to justify this signing. He's a good third pairing guy making third pairing money.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I just noticed that Malkin is currently the oldest forward on the team :amazed:
Only new comers Hunwick and Niemi are older on this team, even between the depth players.
Or Geno is getting older or this team is so ****ing young and our window will be open for years to come :yo:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He should absolutely be given PP time since he's one of the best. But 63% of his points were at ES last year. That's a higher % than Burns, Karlsson and Hedman.

Which one of Letang and Schultz will miss out?

Idk I thought he was our 3rd best dman in the playoffs behind Dumoulin and Schultz. He can skate, move the puck, be physical and kill penalties. What's not to like?

I'd easily give him 3x3. He's absolutely worth it.

I want him to do it against better opposition. He's done a great job as Schultz's babysitter while Schultz has been deployed against the weak to score lots of points but I'm not sure he's our guy to deploy against the opposition's best.

I was about to criticise his PK stats as well, then I realised he was with Letang a lot of the time this year and Letang is, by GA/60, actually our worst PKer of the last two years. I mean, I know he's getting the first unit, but even so. Might be an easy way to limit Letang's minutes right there.

I love how the guys the Pens have acquired this offseason are all 30+ and a bunch of posters are projecting improvement from all of them. On average, pro athletes over 30 don't get better.

That said, Hunwick doesn't need to get better to justify this signing. He's a good third pairing guy making third pairing money.

Put a guy in a better system for him and you can get improvements. I think that's where most of these improvements are meant to be coming from.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
3rd line C again

Goodmorning
Ladies and gents
Well for me it is.....
Tradesugg.1
Hagelin to devils -Henrique to pens ?
Possible?
Suggestion number 2
Scott wilson+3round draftpick -18 for
Radek Faksa ,Dallas
Possible?
Or am i still dreaming?
Yeye : )

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not sure has JJokinen been in talks for Pittsburgh,
but Jussi would be perfect fit for Pens.

Last time JJ played for Penguins: 35 goals,46 assists in 112 games
with plus and minus +23

Jussi can play all 3 forward positions equally well.

Ian Moran Icing

Day-To-Day
Feb 25, 2016
Dk has a new article out and in it he mentions ruhtford loving Jordan staal and such

Definitely dropped some major hints in there. I still have no idea how we would get him back though.

Said Carolina has added a ton of salary this off season and they'd love to be around the cap floor cause Karmanos is the hockey version of Bob Nutting

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Shouldn't Troy Josephs be on the roster on the first page?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
At first i thought "nah, 6m is too much".

But Staal is good for 35-40 even stength points per year. And should get 45-50 point total, and 50 point players costs 5-6 million now...

Hes also a beast defensively, both at ES and on the PK.
Way better in the dot than what i remember.

Is his last 4 seasons :-O

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Said Carolina has added a ton of salary this off season and they'd love to be around the cap floor cause Karmanos is the hockey version of Bob Nutting

This is not true at all.

The cap floor is 54 million. Right now the Hurricanes are at $54,715,000 with 3 roster spots open. One of those spots is Haydn Fleury at 832K. Another will be Phil DiGiuseppe or a rookie forward at no more than 900K. If the 3rd spot goes to Kruger at 3.1 million and Vegas retains nothing, that comes out to 59,547,000 at most.

Last year they were at 55,070,000. So at most they've added a little less than $4.5 million salary. That's not much more, considering they've upgraded significantly at goalie, #5 defense, and 2 forward spots (again, assuming the Kruger part actually does happen).

Also, Karmanos gave RF the green-light to spend this offseason anyway. He's not nearly as cheap/bankrupt as people seem to think. Hell the Canes have never operated as a floor team until the start of the 2014-15 season when they decided to blow the team up and start from ground up. They haven't operated at the floor the past couple years because he's cheap, they've done it because it makes little sense to do anything else with a rebuild that extensive.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Guentzel (735K) - Crosby (8.700M) - Sheary (3.00M)
Rust (640K) - Malkin (9.500M) - Kessel (6.800M)
Hagelin (4.00M) - Jokinen (2.500M) - Hornqvist (4.250M)
Wilson (625K) - Rowney (612.5K) - Reaves (1.125M)
Kuhnhackl (625K)

Dumoluin (4.00M) - Letang (7.250M)
Cole (2.100M) - Schultz (5.500M)
Maatta (4.083M) - Hunwick (2.250M)
Ruhwedel (650K)

Murray (3.750M)
Niemi (700K)

Cap Hit - 73.445M
Cap Space - 1.555M

I like this roster, I like that it has some cap flexibility and yes it is a hit at center depth and Rowney is being thrust into a sink or swim kind of position but with money left and we still have to get Sheary and Dumo on contract, signing Juice and rolling with a young guy at 4C maybe our best bet and if 4C needs to be improved then we can deal with it at deadline. Or drop Juice to L4 and trade for a 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad