Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You had better start preparing now to be extremely disappointed come July then... because odds are you will not find a better 3C then Sheahan.

Edit.
It's not that there's not a bunch out there - there are. But you either need to try and trade for them, or you have to convince them that they should come here and be stuck behind Crosby and Malkin (when healthy). It's going to take a certain kind of player to be willing to take that role. Or you need to pay someone through the nose for it and hope that they won't be unhappy down the road.

This is why I'd prefer to re-sign Brassard. There's no denying that a) center depth is more important than winger depth and 2) Brassard is much better than Sheahan.

We're a much better team with Brass at 3C than we are with Sheahan at 3C.

Reactions: EightyOne

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This is why I'd prefer to re-sign Brassard.

Except that that isn't something that we get to choose. Brassard has to want to stay here, and I don't think that unless we offer him something absurd (6m+) that he will. Players have ego's and want to be "the guy", and guys as good as Brassard (who already complained about his TOI - which is why he's on the wing) will have a ton of options come July.

So while I too would rather have Brassard here if it's a realistic option (at a price we can afford), I don't think it will be.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Except that that isn't something that we get to choose. Brassard has to want to stay here, and I don't think that unless we offer him something absurd (6m+) that he will. Players have ego's and want to be "the guy", and guys as good as Brassard (who already complained about his TOI - which is why he's on the wing) will have a ton of options come July.

So while I too would rather have Brassard here if it's a realistic option (at a price we can afford), I don't think it will be.

6m+ for Brass isn't absurd. It's a reasonable amount for what he brings and something we might be able to swing.

Obviously where he goes as a UFA is up to him, but I think that's something we should pursue.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
6m+ for Brass isn't absurd. It's a reasonable amount for what he brings and something we might be able to swing.

Obviously where he goes as a UFA is up to him, but I think that's something we should pursue.

It's probably not something we "might be able to swing". And it's absurd for the role we want him for. We can't afford Brassard at 6m or 6.5m to be our 3C.

Reactions: NEPA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's probably not something we "might be able to swing". And it's absurd for the role we want him for. We can't afford Brassard at 6m or 6.5m to be our 3C.

Why not? We can, particularly with generous cap rises, swing the money by cutting back in other areas. We know we want a killer 3rd line and most of us have expressed a willingness to put a 6m+ talent on it at one point at another.

Right now the sticking points would be Brassard's willingness and him showing sustained success there. And the age thing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Actually having money to spend on quality depth? What a terrible alternative.

The alternative is having Sheahan as our 3C instead of Brassard. I don't know what sort of other depth moves you could possibly be imagining that would compensate for that downgrade, but I'd like to hear them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Brassard continues to play like he has in the season, there's no way they should bring him back for $6 million.

I'm still all aboard the Saad train. That's 100% who I want to focus on rn. Someone on the main board suggested Maatta and Hagelin for Saad and Rutta, I'd 1000% do that trade, but opinions on it? Schultz getting hurt makes Rutta a much more interesting target.

Last edited:

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Kessel throwing a tantrum if he's not with Geno is ****ing our lines. Brassard's been fine as the 3C, and would be great with Rust and Sprong.

We need a RW for Sid's line. Phil's on his way out, and I hope JR gets ahead of that problem. Maatta's gotta go as well. JR has to have his hand in the Duchene and Saad sweepstakes. Either one would be unreal on this team, and they'd bring an element of fresh legs and hunger to this team we're sorely missing. This team has a great mix of talent but nobody wants to work anymore. Bring in guys who are hungry, absolutely rabid and starving for a Cup.

Saad and hunger shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence. He’s had literally zero compete level the past 3 years. I’d absolutely love Duchene on this team, though.

Saad I’m Gonna have to give a giant pass to.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The alternative is having Sheahan as our 3C instead of Brassard. I don't know what sort of other depth moves you could possibly be imagining that would compensate for that downgrade, but I'd like to hear them.

You're talking about a 2.5-3m difference between the two - potentially more... that goes a long way towards making up the cap difference between a run of the mill 3rd liner making 2-3m and a good top 6 winger making 5-6m.

Skinner, Panarin, Nyqvist, Lee, Zucc, Nelsonm Hayes... there's potentially some decent wingers hitting the market this summer who could go a long way to addressing the hole(s) we have on LW. So I'd spend the money there before spending it on a 3C who's already complained about not getting enough icetime.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d prefer JR go after his bromance Duchene then to keep Brass...he’s younger than Brass and has better position flexibility...he could both play with Sid and man the 3C position at the same cost as Brass...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're talking about a 2.5-3m difference between the two - potentially more... that goes a long way towards making up the cap difference between a run of the mill 3rd liner making 2-3m and a good top 6 winger making 5-6m.

Skinner, Panarin, Nyqvist, Lee, Zucc, Nelsonm Hayes... there's potentially some decent wingers hitting the market this summer who could go a long way to addressing the hole(s) we have on LW. So I'd spend the money there before spending it on a 3C who's already complained about not getting enough icetime.

None of those players are gonna make up for Sheahan on the 3C. Our LW depth is more than fine if Sullivan can get his head out of his ass regarding Rust - and in much better position than our C depth if we run with Sheahan at 3C.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d prefer JR go after his bromance Duchene then to keep Brass...he’s younger than Brass and has better position flexibility...he could both play with Sid and man the 3C position at the same cost as Brass...

Brassard is likely in the 6-6.5m range (at the upper end). I can't see Duchene getting less than 7m, and likely over 8m.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
None of those players are gonna make up for Sheahan on the 3C. Our LW depth is more than fine if Sullivan can get his head out of his ass regarding Rust - and in much better position than our C depth if we run with Sheahan at 3C.

Guess you missed the last few games where Rust was playing LW.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
This is why I'd prefer to re-sign Brassard. There's no denying that a) center depth is more important than winger depth and 2) Brassard is much better than Sheahan.

We're a much better team with Brass at 3C than we are with Sheahan at 3C.
In a vacuum I 100% agree with you, but you have to look at the cap. We have Brassard on a discount right now. To make him fit without that is going to be extremely challenging given all the veteran contracts we have. And don’t get me wrong I’d want Brassard as a 3C as the quality player he is ten time out of ten. But I see him walking in the off season. I don’t thing we stand a stone throws in hells chance of re-signing him. He is a luxury for last season and this and goodbye.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In a vacuum I 100% agree with you, but you have to look at the cap. We have Brassard on a discount right now. To make him fit without that is going to be extremely challenging given all the veteran contracts we have. And don’t get me wrong I’d want Brassard as a 3C as the quality player he is ten time out of ten. But I see him walking in the off season. I don’t thing we stand a stone throws in hells chance of re-signing him. He is a luxury for last season and this and goodbye.

Are you confident going up against the likes of the Leafs over the next few years with Sheahan at 3C? I'm willing to rearrange some deck chairs to keep Brassard here, if need be. Centers are at a premium and other teams will be able to go toe-to-toe with us down the middle even if we keep Brass - downgrading like that is unthinkable if we really want to contend.

The cap next year is projected to be 81.4 mil at the low end...and anywhere up to 85 mil depending on NHLPA escalators.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Brassard is likely in the 6-6.5m range (at the upper end). I can't see Duchene getting less than 7m, and likely over 8m.

Really? His numbers lately don’t support that imo...he’s not lighting the world on fire in OTT...I know it’s OTT but still...I don’t think he’ll get more than the high 6s....

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Are you confident going up against the likes of the Leafs over the next few years with Sheahan at 3C? I'm willing to rearrange some deck chairs to keep Brassard here, if need be. Centers are at a premium and other teams will be able to go toe-to-toe with us down the middle even if we keep Brass - downgrading like that is unthinkable if we really want to contend.

The cap next year is projected to be 81.4 mil at the low end...and anywhere up to 85 mil depending on NHLPA escalators.

You're still talking about that as if that's Rutherford's option (whether or not to give Brassard a contract, and not whether Brassard would actually be willing to sign it). Again, Brassard complained last season about a lack of icetime. Why do you think he's on the wing right now? Do you really think that he's going to overlook that and re-sign here?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're still talking about that as if that's Rutherford's option (whether or not to give Brassard a contract, and not whether Brassard would actually be willing to sign it). Again, Brassard complained last season about a lack of icetime. Why do you think he's on the wing right now? Do you really think that he's going to overlook that and re-sign here?

Yes, I am.

Put aside whether Brass would choose to re-sign here or not. I'm saying it would be a good idea to try.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I think you are over exaggerating his complaints. I do think it's unlikely he stays at this point, but there's a lot of season ahead and he certainly can't complain about his usage right now. If Pens are successful with him here, I could see him wanting to stay.

I'm not crazy about giving another long term extension to a dude over 30, but I'm REALLY not crazy about paying Sheahan 3-4MM to be the 3C. I'm sure I'm too harsh with him, but I just don't like the player. He definitely he can be effective, but a lot of the time he's so blah.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The way things are going, i wouldn't want Brass back and i'd take a run at Duchene.
Ask me again, later.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
The fact of the matter is that we should be sitting pretty with how our big 4 are paid. These guys all signed their contracts years ago.

When you compare our team to teams like Edm, Tor, and Chicago, we really should be in a better position cap-wise. GMJR f***ed up when it came to our d-corps minus MAYBE Dumo and Schultz. They're all overpaid by like a million dolllars or more for what they actually bring performance-wise. It's really put us in a bad position going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan