Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The work Sullivan and the staff did with the D in 2017 is remarkable, his accountability has seen insane seasons from Phil, Crosby, and Malkin. He also had had a ton of young players come up the ranks.

The young players that came up were connected to HIM. That was my point.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Guentzel is the best of the bunch, and his first game for Sully was in the NHL. Also, why does it matter if they were connected to him? Isn't that a good sign that he was able to see their value?

I have a firm belief that hockey coaches typically have a short shelf life. And that goes double for a team like the Pens who have elite stars.

I believe Sully mucked up last year by overplaying his stars early, with JR sharing some of the blame with not enough turnover regarding the roster.

Fast forward to this season we are back to the days of Bylsma. Confusing lines, overplaying of stars, dependent of stars and too reliant on aged vets. JR could fix a lot of this, we'll see.

But as of right now, Sully still hasn't put his best lineup on ice.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I have a firm belief that hockey coaches typically have a short shelf life. And that goes double for a team like the Pens who have elite stars.

I believe Sully mucked up last year by overplaying his stars early, with JR sharing some of the blame with not enough turnover regarding the roster.

Fast forward to this season we are back to the days of Bylsma. Confusing lines, overplaying of stars, dependent of stars and too reliant on aged vets. JR could fix a lot of this, we'll see.

Which of the annoying posters did you used to be?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

who should be on the ice that would be making a difference? And in place of who?

Also, you didn't respond to anything I actually said.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
who should be on the ice that would be making a difference? And in place of who?

Grant should have never been given an opportunity over Teddy B.
Sprong should have been given an opportunity in the top 9, preferably in the top 6 for at least 25 games. You have to see what you got.
Outside of Sid, Geno, Phil and Letang, every other player should be treated the same by Sully. He clearly holds Sprong to a criteria that he doesn't hold Jake, Hags, Rust or Simon up to.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sprong should have been given an opportunity in the top 9, preferably in the top 6 for at least 25 games. You have to see what you got.
Outside of Sid, Geno, Phil and Letang, every other player should be treated the same by Sully. He clearly holds Sprong to a criteria that he doesn't hold Jake, Hags, Rust or Simon up to.
is the season over? Did we trade Sprong?

No problem with giving Grant a try after his season last year. But assuming he doesn't improve, I'd like to see Bleuger get his chance.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

As John Wooden said- you treat your players fairly, but not equally.

Reactions: Riptide and Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's kind of what I said, no? I have no problem with Sprong not getting the Sid or Phil treatment. But when he is banished for slightest perceived mistake and players like Sheary, Simon or Jake don't, that is completely Unfair!

Simon was getting screwed and benched to. We can’t deny that.

He just started becoming a little more consistent than Sprong.

Crosby also likes playing with Simon, so if people haven’t figured it out yet, Crosby has a say in who his linemates are.

So it’s not all exactly what Sullivan wants. Have to keep your stars happy, especially when they are two of the best in the world.

Reactions: Riptide

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Crosby also likes playing with Simon, so if people haven’t figured it out yet, Crosby has a say in who his linemates are.

So it’s not all exactly what Sullivan wants. Have to keep your stars happy, especially when they are two of the best in the world.

In regards to Simon, I'm referring back to the end of last season where he would take dumb penalty after dumb penalty and was trotted right back out there. I like Simon and don't mind him getting a shot with Sid. It is Sid's right to play who he comfortable with up until it hurts the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's kind of what I said, no? I have no problem with Sprong not getting the Sid or Phil treatment. But when he is banished for slightest perceived mistake and players like Sheary, Simon or Jake don't, that is completely Unfair!

What I’m saying is that Sprong should not have the same leeway of even Guentzel, Rust, Hagelin. They are established NHLers, he is not.

Sheary and Simon are poor examples because Sheary was getting benched for poor play last year, with a 50 point season on his resume. Simon was in the same boat as Sprong until 2 games ago. He kept producing, took advantage of limited minutes and now has a chance on the top line. Aston-Reese was alright last year but Sprong beat him out for a roster spot. Selective memory I guess.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
In regards to Simon, I'm referring back to the end of last season where he would take dumb penalty after dumb penalty and was trotted right back out there. I like Simon and don't mind him getting a shot with Sid. It is Sid's right to play who he comfortable with up until it hurts the team.

I saw some interesting stats in an article I read the other day that shows Simon and Crosby do extremely well together, even dating back to last season.

I’ll try to do a quick search on my history and see if I can post the article.

Found it:

Dominik Simon is the latest to get a shot with Sidney Crosby and Jake Guentzel

When Simon was on the ice at 5-on-5 against the Islanders, the Penguins generated 15 scoring chances while allowing only one the other way

Over the past two seasons, Crosby and Simon have been on the ice together at 5-on-5 for about 265 minutes. They earned 61.2 percent of the scoring chances — nearly six percent more than Crosby has with other linemates — while outscoring opponents, 18-9.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I saw some interesting stats in an article I read the other day that shows Simon and Crosby do extremely well together, even dating back to last season.

I’ll try to do a quick search on my history and see if I can post the article.

It's kind of strange that in the two games they've played together, it's Simon and Crosby that seem to have great chemistry and Jake is just kind of there.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's kind of strange that in the two games they've played together, it's Simon and Crosby that seem to have great chemistry and Jake is just kind of there.

Jake is kind of in a slump, but most players have peaks and valleys during the season so I’m now worried about it.

I only worry when a guy isn’t generating good chances.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Why? Grant had 11g/22pts last season (or something like that). It's clear that he's an NHL caliber player. And even if TB was ready for the NHL (he likely is), there's zero chance you want him filling the role Grant has, because TB NEEDS to be playing regularly. He can't be the 13F and sit for weeks before getting a game here or there. So while I want to see TB get some games... it's only Nov 1st, and we haven't even played 1/6th of the season yet. We have time.

This is just plain wrong and dumb. You can't 'treat them all the same'. As @CheckingLineCenter said, you treat them fairly, but no coach would treat all equally. And if that's your expectation, then you're going to be one very disappointed fan.

Sprong needs to keep playing well if he wants a spot in the top 9. The last game was good - keep playing like that and he'll get that chance. But in no way shape or form should he be gifted a spot there if he's not playing well - and you can still count his good games on one hand.

Some have a very short memory span when it's convenient. But you're not wrong in that he's been more consistent then Sprong. Also, I don't think it's just that Crosby like's playing with him - Simon has always shown a good playmaking ability to his game. Won't wow you with something crazy, but is always making smart/slick little passes in good spots. That is going to be something that skilled players like, and want on their lines. Plus he's a lot stronger on the boards then Sprong. Not a big deal if Sprong is playing great and out producing Simon, but when that's not the case, it makes it an easy decision to put Simon there - because at least he will probably be able to get the puck back to Crosby regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad