Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
if these guys work out, the only other big deadline move the Penguins need to make is putting Schultz back into the lineup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
On a side note, I wonder how shitty Sheahan feels for not accepting the multiple year deal that Rutherford supposedly offered him this summer?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Of all angles to look at this trade, going after McCann is just a really weird one. He's the piece I'm most excited about in this trade, he's a former 1st rounder from 2014 that has developed really nicely. The fact that the Penguins got that for 2 pending UFAs and some picks is great, and that doesn't touch on Bjugstad. I consider McCann to be right on par with Pettersson in terms of valuable young assets.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What kind of player is McCann now? Because the McCann I saw in junior was more of an offensive player who was still a work in progress defensively (not to mention consistency).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’m so glad he’s gone.

I also think you’re really underrating McCann.

I think Bjugstad is who I’m more worried about tbh.

Probably. We'll just have to see how it goes. As for Bjugstad, that will be an interesting situation. I'm not all that worried, because his cap hit is only 4.1m and he should at least in theory be able to play some center. FLA wanted to move him because he'll earn 10.25m over the next 2 seasons. If it wasn't for that, I'd almost be tempted to call Ottawa and trade Bjugstad for Z.Smith - but there's no way Ottawa is going to take on an extra 3.75m in salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If you believe Yohe, Bjugstad will "immediately become the Penguins 3c".

“He’s just a big guy, strong on the puck down low,” Rutherford said. “The guy has a great shot. He really likes to shoot the puck, and we like that about him. He’s strong defensively as well. He can do all the things you want a third-line center to do. Plus, he’s only 26. We think there remains real upside there.”

Another Rutherford tidbit.

“I really like this draft coming up,” Rutherford said. “Really, really like it. Now, it will be tempting to trade that pick before Feb. 25, because someone is going to make an offer. Someone will offer something that I hadn’t thought of, and it will be interesting. Anything is possible, to be honest. I’m always looking to make us better. But I tell myself before I go to bed every night that I shouldn’t trade our first-round pick this season.”

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What kind of player is McCann now? Because the McCann I saw in junior was more of an offensive player who was still a work in progress defensively (not to mention consistency).

Good news, he has become very reliable defensively, to the point where you can use him on a defensive line and have him do well (at least based on his scouting report). Bad news, he sounds incredibly similar to Sutter from his scouting report. I'm very happy to have him, because even if he just ends up another Sutter, that's still a nice additional piece to get for what the Penguins gave up.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Everything I’ve read on McCann is that he flashes some real high end ability but doesn’t do it consistently enough.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Olli is in play but would take a really good deal for GMJR to trade him. Pens need cap space for next year and a contract will be moved at the draft day/off season.

We actually can go into next season with the same list and be under the cap. It’ll be tight but alright. If we want to upgrade or make changes you’re probably looking at closer to dollar for dollar moves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR still has the 1st and Jarry to trade if something else comes up. Pretty good position to be in.

Yeah, I'll amend my previous post. I don't want JR to trade the 1st, but if you can get something that helps the team by trading Jarry, I'm all for it. I'd rather them not trade any further picks and only see what you can get for Jarry. I don't know exactly what you'd target for Jarry though, the Penguins lineup looks very full after the trade today.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
We just filled our two biggest needs at F and did so by trading a 2nd, 2 4th and the two guys that got upgraded.

Today is a good day.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Good news, he has become very reliable defensively, to the point where you can use him on a defensive line and have him do well (at least based on his scouting report). Bad news, he sounds incredibly similar to Sutter from his scouting report. I'm very happy to have him, because even if he just ends up another Sutter, that's still a nice additional piece to get for what the Penguins gave up.

That's JR's opinion as well.

“This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That's JR's opinion as well.

“This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

Mccann?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
If you believe Yohe, Bjugstad will "immediately become the Penguins 3c".

“He’s just a big guy, strong on the puck down low,” Rutherford said. “The guy has a great shot. He really likes to shoot the puck, and we like that about him. He’s strong defensively as well. He can do all the things you want a third-line center to do. Plus, he’s only 26. We think there remains real upside there.”

Another Rutherford tidbit.

“I really like this draft coming up,” Rutherford said. “Really, really like it. Now, it will be tempting to trade that pick before Feb. 25, because someone is going to make an offer. Someone will offer something that I hadn’t thought of, and it will be interesting. Anything is possible, to be honest. I’m always looking to make us better. But I tell myself before I go to bed every night that I shouldn’t trade our first-round pick this season.”

Yup the next 2 drafts are apparently pretty deep
But overall this season, he has been able to make the team younger and better in his trades
The Pettersson trade is so underrated around here, kid will be a solid D for many years

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He’s a 2-way player. He’ll be a really good 3C in the next year or two. He’s probably good enough for what we need there this season depending on his adjustment.

The good thing he’s 22 so we have him cheap for a while.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It should be noted, with the acquisition of Bjugstad, they likely can't afford Pearson for after this season. Considering the results he has given the Penguins so far, I don't actually have much of an issue with trading him. I think it's possible that McCann is your 3C and Bjugstad slides to the wing next year to replace Pearson.

I don't even think trading Pearson hurts all that much assuming Bjugstad can play LW, you'd be left with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Bjugstad-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-XXXXXX

I don't really see many problems with that forward group, and you'll have probably about $2 million to add a great 4th liner to play with ZAR and Blueger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad