Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Okay so what's a "real" 3rd line with the players they have?

One where 3rd liners are actually on the 3rd line instead of on the top 2 lines to pretend it's still 2016.

I'm curious, do you recall 2017 at all? That was the year Kessel spent almost all the playoffs on Malkin's wing. What happened that spring again? I forget. :sarcasm:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
One where 3rd liners are actually on the 3rd line instead of on the top 2 lines to pretend it's still 2016.

I'm curious, do you recall 2017 at all? That was the year Kessel spent almost all the playoffs on Malkin's wing. What happened that spring again? I forget. :sarcasm:

Kessel on the third line only worked because Hagelin was opposite of him.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Kessel on the third line only worked because Hagelin was opposite of him.

That may be a valid point, but any time they tried to re-unite HBK in the 2016-17 season they were never as good as they were in the 2016 playoffs.

In short, HBK was just a very convenient fluke that was also helped by the fact Sheary played well enough with Crosby that spring.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not sure JR is done. I’d be ok with him being done but.. I’m kinda anxious he’s gonna go one last year dealing all the picks.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I’m not sure JR is done. I’d be ok with him being done but.. I’m kinda anxious he’s gonna go one last year dealing all the picks.

I think he'll sit back a bit and see how the team looks for the next week or two. Then re-evaluate closer to the deadline after Schultz comes back.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR will see what is what as there are 3 weeks to the TDL. See what the fit is and add if not to costly. I do think any major moves will be draft day off season moves. Olli can be moved for picks/prospects and I have mentioned for over a year Kessel will be moved for cap and retool the roster for the next number of years. The question is can the Pens sign a really good FA at RW like Stone or Silverberg.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Okay, well, at least that's done. As someone said above, that's two vanilla forwards out. Lets see what we have now.

How much would you have to add to Maatta+1st to get the Blues to listen on Pietrangelo?

A whole lot. Alot. Far more than we would or should give.

I dont think the Blues are anywhere close to pulling the plug on their current core. They have an option to keep their first this year, and defer their 2020 1st to buffalo. I think they're probably looking at this like a down year, and they will make some "win now" moves in the offseason, so keeping Parayko, Pietro and Edmunson (as well as the group up front) are probably a must for them.

I mean, most of those guys are just now getting to their late 20s. They shouldnt pull the plug all of a sudden

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Didn’t realize Bjugstad had such a good season last year.

He was also on the wing all last season (and this season). And as much as I'm disappointed to see Sheahan go (probably one of the only/few), I'm happy to have gotten younger and bigger while getting pieces that will be here for a while. Bjugstad is 26 with 2.5 years left on his contract and McCann is 23 with another year left on his current deal and multiple years of team control left beyond that - although I'm not sure what sort of offensive upside is realistic with him.

So now how does our lineup look in the near future? I'd assume that this would knock Simon out of the top 9 - and if it doesn't, it's putting someone pretty good on L4. I almost wonder if the plan is to put Bjugstad back at center? Florida fans have been pretty adamant that he's only a winger, but he's had success as a center in this league.

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Pearson - McCann - Hornqvist
Wilson - Cullen - Blueger
Bjugstad ??

Bjugstad is kinda like Bonino. Not fast but faster than Bones. Decent Defensively and has a bit of skill that flashes at times

I DO NOT like that contract of his.

He's been a 25-30 point C the past 3 seasons.
He will need to get better offensively

He's only played center in 1 of the 3 seasons you're talking about (16/17, 14pts in 55 games). 17/18 and this year he's been a winger.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Does McCann play any center?

To me it looks like the Pens got younger, gained cost control with McCann and increased offensive potential. I will wait to see the rest of the deal, but I like this on first pass.

McCann has been a center all season for FLA, and was one most of last year as well. But I'm not sure I agree with you on the "increased offensive potential". I mean I guess the potential is there because he's 23 yrs old... but I have zero hopes of him actually doing much with that potential.

I wonder if this means they are finally done trying to re-create HBK. I like the acquisitions, but neither of them should be centering Kessel barring injury.

I doubt it. Both of these guys can play center, and I can't imagine that Sullivan/Rutherford would give up trying to have 3 "1st lines" that easily.

Not sure this makes us a better team this year.

Depends on who plays center and how they do. We're a less skilled team, but I don't automatically think that makes us a worse team - especially as it won't be all that hard to replace what Brassard was providing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

We still have some cap space. Brassard, Sheahan and Oleksiak out is 7.2m out and we only brought in 5.35m. But I think with this move (getting 2 forwards), the next move will be on the blueline if it happens.

Reactions: Turin

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

The good news is, we have plenty of options now.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Pearson-Malkin-Kessel

That's probably your "load up" top 6 and still gives us:

Simon-Bjugstad-Rust
Cullen-McCann-Wilson/ZAR
Blueger

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
McCann has been a center all season for FLA, and was one most of last year as well. But I'm not sure I agree with you on the "increased offensive potential". I mean I guess the potential is there because he's 23 yrs old... but I have zero hopes of him actually doing much with that potential.

You don't think he has more potential than Sheahan?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Nice thing about this is that he’s not gonna feel desperate to get something done and overpay at the TDL just to make a deal happen.

Agree with others that he’ll probably sit back and evaluate the team for a couple weeks before making any decisions on further deals.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Olli is in play but would take a really good deal for GMJR to trade him. Pens need cap space for next year and a contract will be moved at the draft day/off season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would rather JR be done at this point because I don't think this team needs anything else, unless you can swing a deal to make your defense better. The forward group is very well set now.

I still think we’re missing speed and feistiness... neither Bjug or McCann bring any physicality...I wouldn’t mind if we could somehow turn Pearson into Ferland or Dzingel without giving up our first....

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pens are very deep in their top 14 Fs when healthy. Especially on the wings. 4th line gonna have some good players on it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You don't think he has more potential than Sheahan?

Sprong had more potential too... but like with Sprong, if you don't reach that potential having it doesn't mean all that much. And I have zero faith in McCann doing much with his. If we can get a younger/cheaper version of Sheahan out of him, I'll be happy - and part of me is even skeptical that we'll get that. Anything more than that and I'll be really happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad