Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It should be noted, with the acquisition of Bjugstad, they likely can't afford Pearson for after this season. Considering the results he has given the Penguins so far, I don't actually have much of an issue with trading him. I think it's possible that McCann is your 3C and Bjugstad slides to the wing next year to replace Pearson.

I don't even think trading Pearson hurts all that much assuming Bjugstad can play LW, you'd be left with:

Do you believe Pearson's contract is easily movable, though?

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
If you believe Yohe, Bjugstad will "immediately become the Penguins 3c".

“He’s just a big guy, strong on the puck down low,” Rutherford said. “The guy has a great shot. He really likes to shoot the puck, and we like that about him. He’s strong defensively as well. He can do all the things you want a third-line center to do. Plus, he’s only 26. We think there remains real upside there.”

Another Rutherford tidbit.

“I really like this draft coming up,” Rutherford said. “Really, really like it. Now, it will be tempting to trade that pick before Feb. 25, because someone is going to make an offer. Someone will offer something that I hadn’t thought of, and it will be interesting. Anything is possible, to be honest. I’m always looking to make us better. But I tell myself before I go to bed every night that I shouldn’t trade our first-round pick this season.
This part made me laugh. It's like he just can't help himself but make trades, he seems giddy about it. I imagine him staring at himself in the mirror every morning saying "I will not trade our first. I will not trade our first..."

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
We talked about it a while back (last few months). I think I saw it on DK or the athletic. However it was just a line in passing that it had been offered.

That would have been an insanely dumb thing to do and I am actually a RS fan
You can't pay middling players like that with big extensions/raises. I.e. Johnson, Jack

Reactions: Justin Sickways

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Do you believe Pearson's contract is easily movable, though?
Pearson and Jarry to CAR for a rental Ferland. Ferland walks after the season, or we trade someone to afford him.

Fully Operational Battle Station.

(Or we get the 2012-2013 Pens with Iginla, Morrow, Crankshaft etc with too many new pieces to assimilate.)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ehhh. It's not bad. But I don't see teams lining up for Tanner Pearson at 3.5.

3.5 is exactly what he’s worth. A good defensive forward who can score 20 goals, and he’s in his prime still. That’s why these concern trolls about the Penguins new guys with term are overthinking the cap. These guys are all eminently movable. Except maybe JJ but even he had multiple suitors this offseason.

Reactions: JackFr

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
3.5 is exactly what he’s worth. A good defensive forward who can score 20 goals, and he’s in his prime still. That’s why these concern trolls about the Penguins new guys with term are overthinking the cap. These guys are all eminently movable. Except maybe JJ but even he had multiple suitors this offseason.

I agree that it will be movable, just don't expect much.

Girardi got bought out after being the worst Dman in the NHL and teams were offering 4 mil with Term.

GMs are stupid and I read that alot of teams were after JJ and even got offered more per. I think he is also moveable. They love the guy around the league.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they'd move Johnson unless they are planning on adding another defenseman. Just to get under the cap, I think Pearson is the obvious guy to move out because the Penguins now have McCann, who can replace pretty much everything Pearson can do. McCann seems to be similar to Pearson in having a cannon of a shot, having good speed and being a good defensive player, so I'm not sure you're really losing much there. Having Bjugstad and McCann on your 3rd line for next year makes a lot of sense to me, especially if they want to use it like a shutdown line.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yes, without a doubt. Pearson is a solid middle-6 player, you see guys like him moved all of the time for 2nd round picks in cap trades. Johansson is the most recent example that comes to mind.

Oilers could be a fit, seems like a Hitchcock kind of player.

Pearson + Jarry for 2nd +4th +Kassian@50% or some other scrub at close to the minimum.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oilers could be a fit, seems like a Hitchcock kind of player.

Yeah, Edmonton is a good one, although I question whether adding a $3.75 million player is what they should be doing. Other teams that make some sense are Carolina (especially if/when Ferland leaves this year), Buffalo, Colorado, Dallas and Washington (I wouldn't trade him there obviously, but I do think he makes sense for them). I'm confident they could move him without taking salary back for a decent draft pick haul.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think they'd move Johnson unless they are planning on adding another defenseman. Just to get under the cap, I think Pearson is the obvious guy to move out because the Penguins now have McCann, who can replace pretty much everything Pearson can do. McCann seems to be similar to Pearson in having a cannon of a shot, having good speed and being a good defensive player, so I'm not sure you're really losing much there. Having Bjugstad and McCann on your 3rd line for next year makes a lot of sense to me, especially if they want to use it like a shutdown line.

JR has a fascinating amount of flexibility right now. He's augmented the mix up front and still has all of his prime assets. Pearson for a little value and good space. Maatta for a little value and good space. JMFJ for space if another GM is drunk enough (or bribed enough).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah, Edmonton is a good one, although I question whether adding a $3.75 million player is what they should be doing. Other teams that make some sense are Carolina (especially if/when Ferland leaves this year), Buffalo, Colorado, Dallas and Washington (I wouldn't trade him there obviously, but I do think he makes sense for them). I'm confident they could move him without taking salary back for a decent draft pick haul.

Yep, true about Oilers cap. I added a trade including Jarry and us taking back Kassian (but only @50%, otherwise I wouldn't touch him).

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
I think that this trade is not only a change in scenery for the players involved but also a change in scenery for the rest of the team as well. I’m sure the rest of the team was also frustrated with Brassards play and the effect it had on the third line. These types of things can drain the entire sense of urgency and effort from a team. If the addition of BJ and MCC and more importantly so the substraction of Brassard and Vanilla Ice can get the rest of the guys back into it emotionally then we are in good shape.
Time will tell...

Reactions: Tom Hanks and KIRK

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Pearson - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
McCann - Cullen - Wilson

I mean... you could do a lot worse. In my mind if Johnson could somehow be jettisoned into the sun we'd be in a good spot.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hopefully he's placed in a position to succeed. He has the talent and it'll be interesting to see where he plays. Hopefully center.

In our forward roster now everyone is in a position to succeed no matter where they play. We are really deep. No excuses for anyone to play bad regularly.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR has a fascinating amount of flexibility right now. He's augmented the mix up front and still has all of his prime assets. Pearson for a little value and good space. Maatta for a little value and good space. JMFJ for space if another GM is drunk enough (or bribed enough).

Yeah, that's what makes me laugh whenever I see other fans say the Penguins are in a bad cap situation. They're not Edmonton, who are full of immovable, big money contracts. The Penguins have the ability to clear out cap space stupidly easily. If they really need cap space, they can trade any of Pearson, Bjugstad, Hornqvist, Maatta or Rust very easily.

I saw a comment on the main boards that the Penguins were making a mistake in committing this much money long term to players because free agency is supposed to be really good this year. Why would you take the risk on gambling in free agency, when so many contracts have ended up terrible in free agency, over getting cost controlled young players? I like this route way more. You have your entire top-9 set for the foreseeable future, and you have immediate replacements available if you need to clear out cap space. I don't know why people would rather go into free agency with a bunch of money over this route.

Reactions: Riptide and KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In our forward roster now everyone is in a position to succeed no matter where they play. We are really deep. No excuses for anyone to play bad regularly.
I think Bjugstad would be better served as well as the team if he's in the middle. When he regularly took draws he was pretty effective. And his best years statistically are at center. I think it'd be good if we had a Righty at center anyhow. He has the ability to be effective there, I just hope he's afforded that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad