Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
RfKr9CA.png

6rqbYKi.jpg

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Hagelin - Pearson trade thread is here.
Hagelin appreciation thread is here.
Sprong trade thread is here.
Guentzel signing thread is here.
DeSmith signing thread is here.
Grant for Blandisi trade thread is here
Oleksiak trade thread is here
Brassard/Sheahan+ for Bjugstad/McCann trade thread is here

That doesn't seem like all that much to give up for Muzzin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DegenX and BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That doesn't seem like all that much to give up for Muzzin.

I think people have to realize that when it comes to the Pens, teams are not going to be "fair" or rational, there's definitely a bias towards us from other GM's, Pens have to over pay.

That Muzzin deal was hilarious for what was given up.

Reactions: BHD

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think people have to realize that when it comes to the Pens, teams are not going to be "fair" or rational, there's definitely a bias towards us from other GM's, Pens have to over pay.

That Muzzin deal was hilarious for what was given up.

I mean, what would be the equivalent for the Pens? 1st, Bjorkqvist and someone like Prow? Maybe a younger defender like Phillips?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I mean, what would be the equivalent for the Pens? 1st, Bjorkqvist and someone like Prow? Maybe a younger defender like Phillips?

From what I’ve read it’d be more like 1st, Hallander and Addison. When it comes to prospects different teams can rate them differently but it’d be around that I’d imagine.

Both teams got what they wanted. Win win at this stage.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I have no doubt JR is looking for a top six winger. My worry is the fact he seems to like the defense he has.

JR wanted Montour and I believe Maatta’s name was part of the offer. The tweet from one of the big guys (can’t remember who) is the Ducks did like Maatta but not enough to deal Montour. Not sure what the addition from our end was.

I’m sure he’d like to upgrade the defence (and pretty much every position). It’s just how probable and where it is on the list of priorities (which I doubt it’s #1 and likely not #2).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From what I’ve read it’d be more like 1st, Hallander and Addison. When it comes to prospects different teams can rate them differently but it’d be around that I’d imagine.

Both teams got what they wanted. Win win at this stage.

Hallander and Addison are two of the Pens' top prospects. No way Durzi and Grundstrom are that level. By Leaf fans own descriptions, Grundstrom's more of a "Komarov type" and Durzi is basically a boom or bust offensive defenseman.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I feel like they either liked those pieces just that much more than what Pittsburgh was willing to do, or JR has his sights on more permanent solutions.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Some leafs fans may have said that others were pretty sad to see Grundstrom go. He actually sounds a lot like Hallander in the descriptions I’ve read. Addison is above Durzi right now but his value would be higher than any other of our D prospects.

If we wanted to do a similar deal with LA they’d be asking for at least one of them probably both.

One thing to remember though is that the Leafs are flush with comparable prospects. They lose one, and they have others. The Pens lose one, and the cupboard is pretty much bare.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Looking for reasons for why he's struggling isn't "making excuses for Brassard". Realizing that the team is desperately hurting for puck moving talent, which is a huge reason for why both Malkin's line and Brassard's line have struggled this year, isn't "making excuses for Brassard". If anything, the Brassard sucks group should be looking at this context more, instead of just looking at the numbers and screaming "Riley Sheahan would be better as the 3C!".

But it is making excuses when you find an excuse to wave away every single piece of evidence pointing to Brassard sucking and being the major architect of his downfall and that of everyone around him.

I've looked at the numbers. I've looked at them in just about every conceivable context. They all point to Brassard being probably the worst 3C in the league compared to his team. Which means, yeah, Riley Sheahan would be better as the 3C.

Rust-Cullen: 38 minutes together
Kessel-Cullen: 13 minutes together
Pearson-Cullen: 9 minutes

Those aren't sample sizes. Those are so small that you can basically throw them out. Compare them to the sample sizes for Brassard:

Rust-Brassard: 99 minutes
Kessel-Brassard: 169 minutes
Pearson-Brassard: 183 minutes

Comparing how Kessel and Pearson have done with Brassard vs with Cullen pointless because of how small of a sample size it is with Cullen. The only players that have both played at least 50 minutes with Brassard and Cullen are Hornqvist and ZAR, but you really can't compare those guys either because their usages were way different with those two guys.

So you complain about Sid and Geno because its Sid and Geno, but complain about Cullen because of sample size. How on earth are you meant to compare how the wingers do away from Brassard?

Personally, I'd say you use the flawed samples as best you can, and when they pretty much all point the exact same way... you accept what they're saying without a really good reason not to.

I posted the NST pages that showed those stats weren't true. Cullen-Letang was better at generating high danger chances, but Brassard-Letang was better at generating shots. I think I originally missed the "quality" part though, I was just looking at their overall shot generation.

Brassard-Letang has SF/60 of 32.35. Letang-Cullen has SF/60 of 39.95.

Or to do it with -Rel stats, as you've put in your links, it's Rel +.026 for Brassard/Letang and Rel +7.46% for Cullen/Letang.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I'm going to call bull**** on Maatta being traded to Montreal. We can't lose another dman without a top 4 dman coming back in another deal. Any Maatta trade needs to be part of a blockbuster IMO and that seems like a hard deal to make in season.
All JR needs is the courage to do it, and a willing partner. Hopefully other pieces are involved such as a depth defender. But I sincerely hope there's truth to it. Sweet sweet God in heaven I hope so.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I'm going to call bull**** on Maatta being traded to Montreal. We can't lose another dman without a top 4 dman coming back in another deal. Any Maatta trade needs to be part of a blockbuster IMO and that seems like a hard deal to make in season.

I don't know whether the old man can pull it, but I can certainly see him trying to do a blockbuster mid-season.

I'm more curious about what he wants from there. Is he trying to pull Maatta + Brassard for C? Maatta for Petry? I dinnae understand...

Reactions: BillPrep

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know whether the old man can pull it, but I can certainly see him trying to do a blockbuster mid-season.

I'm more curious about what he wants from there. Is he trying to pull Maatta + Brassard for C? Maatta for Petry? I dinnae understand...

Maatta and Brassard, a glorified 4D and a flailing 3C, doesnt exactly scream 'blockbuster' to me.

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Muzzin deal is basically what we gave up for Brassard.

How is it “not much” for Muzzin, yet it is a “huge amount” for Brassard.

Because as I noted above most team's don't pretty much empty the cupboard in a deal like that. In other words, I think it's perception or relative, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad