Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Truth be told, JR has spent the last 18 months deconstructing a cup champion and turning them into a team every bit as slow, bland, and lacking in puck moving defensemen as the team that started the 2015-2016 season.

Truth be told, the Pens identity WAS playing fast, but as the rest of the league spent the last 18 months getting faster, the Pens got slower and less mobile, to the point that this team is every bit as slow in today's NHL as the 2015-2016 Penguins were in the NHL of 4 years ago.

Until JR is willing, as a philosophical matter, to fix THAT, I'm not sure anything else from a cap and roster management perspective matters.

He doesn't have the stuff in WBS to do that this time around. In 2016, they brought up Sheary-Rust-S Wilson-Kuhnhackl. Not exactly a cast of all stars but they did help make us crappy to play against. Not to mention the forward core was 3 years younger.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
JMFJ potentially out and Oleksiak gone leaves us with what.....
Dumo Tang
Maatta Riikola
Pettersson Ruhwedel

Tough test coming for these guys.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The scout list was MUCH larger than the 3 mentioned early. Also some other stuff:

This is from a legit MTL blog:

SOURCE: The Canadian and the Penguins would very seriously discuss Olli Maatta. Looking forward to seeing if the 2 parties will come up with something...

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Brassard was riding a high with his goal. Then with that ugly hit, his chances of getting traded went from 99.5% to 100%.

Get this dude off the team tonight!

Oh and if that Maata rumor is true, that would be awesome also.

This team needs a major shakeup and that probably can’t happen with a lot of salary shuffling.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The scout list was MUCH larger than the 3 mentioned early. Also some other stuff:

This is from a legit MTL blog:

Brassard picked a good night to not totally suck.

And, that Maatta and Montreal thing is VERY interesting. Still have my doubts, because everything I'm told is that JR loves him some Olli Maatta, but IF JR moves Maatta AND finds an upgrade to partner with Schultz, then you can ride your top 4 on defense and minimize Jack Johnson's opportunities to hurt the Pens.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

And, that Maatta and Montreal thing is VERY interesting. Still have my doubts, because everything I'm told is that JR loves him some Olli Maatta, but IF JR moves Maatta AND finds an upgrade to partner with Schultz, then you can ride your top 4 on defense and minimize Jack Johnson's opportunities to hurt the Pens.
Also, and not something to overlook. IF we trade Maatta, it would be next to impossible to not get faster. Regardless as to who is brought in or for what position.

Reactions: ChaosAgent and KIRK

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Tease. You know how I feel about Gallagher.

Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Is there a single D on Montreal worth getting besides Petry? Or would they look to get forward help from them?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the game solidified GMJR as one ticked off GM. This is inexcusable and start the movement to unload the passengers. Bolts beat them silly on Wednesday and turn off the lights. Major changes and trades in the off season has to be done to retool the roster.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well the are going to have to seriously upgrade the D if goaltending isnt going to bail them out. And theres been so many ups and downs the last two seasons now in net that I believe JR now knows he has to do something big to fix this.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Hmm.. Ghallager would obviously be great. Byron? Shaw having a pretty good season even though he’s a tweener type. Can’t seem them moving a C.
I can't see them being interested in Maatta, but apparently they are. And top four defenders (generally speaking) bring a solid return.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Never said they were guaranteed. Said it’s a heavy price to pay for the Pens. It is. That’s their two best prospects and their 1st. Also didn’t say no to doing that deal either.

I think it’s an awesome trade for Toronto. But they have cap space and a much deeper farm system than the Pens. Liked the acquisition for them.

1st+Hallander+Addison completely destroys the Pens farm system. I’m okay with dealing all of those pieces but imo it’s gotta be the right player. Not sure Muzzin was the guy I’d break the bank for- which isn’t to say I don’t think he would have been a spectacular fit, but if JR gave up that package we are pretty limited in assets to add elsewhere in the lineup. I’d be really tempted but idk if I say yes or no.
The Pens system is already destroyed

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think a solid RHD is probably the best move. Even with Schultz back. Get JJ on the left side, I think he will be noticeably better. Even Pettersson for a similar aged RHD or a player with term. We are pretty full on the left side with long contracts.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Petry would 100% fix this defense. Maybe Muzzin going to TOR woke the old man up.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Petry would 100% fix this defense. Maybe Muzzin going to TOR woke the old man up.

If Olli was/is really on the market.
Waiting for Muzzin's landing spot would hold that up...

We'll just have to see what JR can come up with but time is running out on crafting a contender out of what he started with this season and with the way G is trending, it might just be better to be full on sellers this DL.

They don't have a TON to sell but they can no doubt get something atleast for a UFA Brass and Olli.

ETA: Also Phil. Forgot about him who's perpetually in trade talks.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

If you get Petry you probably have to trade Schultz. Not this season but in the summer because you’d have a 5.5 mil D man on the bottom pair.

That’s cool though as Petry has an extra year on Schultz.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you get Petry you probably have to trade Schultz. Not this season but in the summer because you’d have a 5.5 mil D man on the bottom pair.

That’s cool though as Petry has an extra year on Schultz.

You could potentially make up for it by going super cheap on the left side.

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Riikola - Schultz

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You could potentially make up for it by going super cheap on the left side.

Dumo - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Riikola - Schultz

There’s only so many minutes to go around though and I’d rather have more money go into the top 9 forwards than the bottom pair D.

Schultz would only have a year left and likely wouldn’t re sign him so while assest management isn’t always top priority for a team in our position I think we could get a decent return.

Finally I don’t think we could even realistically see JJ being moved until year 3 most likely year 4 if they wanted to move him.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Hmm.. Ghallager would obviously be great. Byron? Shaw having a pretty good season even though he’s a tweener type. Can’t seem them moving a C.
There's a tweet in French on Montreal's trade thread talking about Maatta for Lehkonen, for whatever that's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad