Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I seriously think a 42 year old Cullen could play 3C for a postseason much better than Sheahan can. I still have a tiny bit of belief Brassard can flip a switch. It's barely there, but i'm holding out hope. :laugh:

Bring up Bluegs for the 4th line. I want him to get reps because he will be the 5th center come postseason time most likely.

The bolded is literally the only reason I haven't blown a gasket about JR not dealing him yet. A small part of me is holding out hope that if they keep him, somehow "Big Game Brass" will miraculously show up in April.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I seriously think a 42 year old Cullen could play 3C for a postseason much better than Sheahan can. I still have a tiny bit of belief Brassard can flip a switch. It's barely there, but i'm holding out hope. :laugh:

Bring up Bluegs for the 4th line. I want him to get reps because he will be the 5th center come postseason time most likely.
Hey that wouldn't be that bad honestly. But I think Sheahan gets shit on far too much because people want him to be a type of player he never ever was and forget what he was like last year.

Brassard is a dimmer switch that is left on barely on and broken.

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed. Maatta out and Muzzin in is huge - and I like Maatta. But Muzzin is a much better PMD, skater and overall defender. Brassard for Ferland leaves a 3c hole without a doubt. However Ferland gives us a physical element like few others and more importantly likely does more to get Malkin going then almost anything else we could do.

Marginal change at 3c, significantly better on the wing and a big and very noticeable change on the blueline.

I am 100% on Ferland and would even love to get Muzz for Maatta if JR can swing that.

But the absence at 3c....I'm OK with that with what we have from with in. And maybe just maybe...Blue gets his shot and shows how f***ing dumb the team was to not use him earlier.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

He already flipped it, it's called 'cruise control'.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Do you have any feeling what he is looking for as a top priority? I would think a center or left wing is what he really wants in terms of upgrading. I truly think he would consider the defense if he got a great offer for Maatta but I don’t think he is shopping him around either
You have to fix the second line. The third and fourth being more grind or forechecking type of traditional is less frustrating when Sid and Genos line are firing on all cylinders.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
And as long as you keep his minutes down, then Cullen being a better 3C than Sheahan (or a lot of other people) really shouldn't be controversial at all. I wish they'd consider it.

I'm not sure they can effectively do that, even if they give Sheahan a big role. I think you'd effectively have Sheahan as the 3c in terms of minutes, and Cullen the 4c but with better linemates. And the end result would be a constant switching of the lines around to try and accommodate Cullen's age/minutes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Muzzin for Maatta you take that and run! But I don't add as they get a younger player with term.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've gotta say, I don't get why anyone has any hope left for Brassard. He doesn't look like he fits the system, he doesn't look like he fits the role, and he doesn't look like he wants to be here. We're no longer at flip a switch territory, we're at full rewiring the house and putting in new fittings and everything.

One might as well hope that Mario comes out of retirement and still has it - its only slightly less realistic.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That does not make us a better team and uses up our assets and leaves us with a hole at 3C this year and next.
Exactly! You only trade Brassard if you have a 3C lined up to come in. Who knows, we may not be done dealing with Dallas.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why do we want to bring in another LD?

It's on overload even trading out Oleksiak for nothing back.

Imagine if Schultz or Letang go down, the RD is ****!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why do we want to bring in another LD?

It's on overload even trading out Oleksiak for nothing back.

Imagine if Schultz or Letang go down, the RD is ****!
If the sentiment is to get a Muzzin then maybe Maatta gets traded. TBH that's what we should be doing. Maattas skating is just so bad. And each year he falls further and further behind. Hopefully someone over values him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Would rather pay the Ferland ask (1st + prospect) for Silfverberg or Nyquist or Zucc or even add to it and go all in on Kreider.

I don’t know if Ferland will actually cost that much, but there does feel like a dearth of rental wingers and his skillset will be attractive. Cap hit can fit into any team. Just sheer size of his market may drive the cost to something like that.

Of course if a 2nd+Jarry type of package can get it done, I’d be more than all for it.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Brassard won’t be traded, he will heat up during the 1st round then turn into a beast in the 2nd playoff run. Everyone gonna say JR is a Genius because he wasn’t able to trade him for something good. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure they can effectively do that, even if they give Sheahan a big role. I think you'd effectively have Sheahan as the 3c in terms of minutes, and Cullen the 4c but with better linemates. And the end result would be a constant switching of the lines around to try and accommodate Cullen's age/minutes.

You might be right, but double-shifting Sid to cover the bottom 6/double-shifting Kessel to give him attacking shifts in the top 6 are things they already do. I think that if you did something like that, you could maybe keep the minutes down enough.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If the sentiment is to get a Muzzin then maybe Maatta gets traded. TBH that's what we should be doing. Maattas skating is just so bad. And each year he falls further and further behind. Hopefully someone over values him.

I'm good with trading out Muzzin for Maatta, but they have in house guys who can spell him. The 3rd pair RD is still a need after you do that for Muzzin and leave nothing to get that RS RHS D-man.

So Martinez over Muzzin?

I'd rather him off of LA, but would rather get Faulk from the Canes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm good with trading out Muzzin for Maatta, but they have in house guys who can spell him. The 3rd pair RD is still a need after you do that for Muzzin and leave nothing to get that RS RHS D-man.

I'd rather him off of LA, but would rather get Faulk from the Canes.
To be clear I'd be ok trading Maatta for any of those three.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Would rather pay the Ferland ask (1st + prospect) for Silfverberg or Nyquist or Zucc or even add to it and go all in on Kreider.

I don’t know if Ferland will actually cost that much, but there does feel like a dearth of rental wingers and his skillset will be attractive. Cap hit can fit into any team. Just sheer size of his market may drive the cost to something like that.

Of course if a 2nd+Jarry type of package can get it done, I’d be more than all for it.

If the cost is the same for Ferland, Silfverberg, Nyqvist or Zucc... the only two that would hold any interest would be Ferland and Silfverberg. The latter is definitely more skilled of the two, but I think the former would do more to help Malkin get back to where we need him to be. However if Malkin was already playing at a high level then without a doubt I'd want Silfverberg. The other two do nothing for me.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
That does not make us a better team and uses up our assets and leaves us with a hole at 3C this year and next.

Sheahan and Cullen are perfectly capable of doing it till this season is over.

There's always someone you can pick up for cheap to do 4C and a low-cost trade for 3C isn't ridiculous.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Mackey is saying quite explicitly that JR is dangling Jarry out there as trade bait...I have a hard time seeing this...what if Murray gets injured again?...

Rutherford: Penguins have 'options' for potential next deal

DeSmith would be the guy then. And seeing how Jarry needs waivers next season, I don't think that him and DeSmith will both be here past the draft. If we can get someone that helps us and it costs us Jarry, so be it. It would be one thing if Murray had struggled all season, but he's shown enough flashes that we're going to be sticking with him... and as such Jarry becomes pretty expendable.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
DeSmith would be the guy then. And seeing how Jarry needs waivers next season, I don't think that him and DeSmith will both be here past the draft. If we can get someone that helps us and it costs us Jarry, so be it. It would be one thing if Murray had struggled all season, but he's shown enough flashes that we're going to be sticking with him... and as such Jarry becomes pretty expendable.

Yeah but we’d still need a backup to DeSmith...we have no one else NHL capable unless we bring in another goalie...not that I’m adverse to trading Jarry, but I don’t believe JR would go into the POs with one healthy goaltender...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA