Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
xy82ZuF.png

6rqbYKi.jpg

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Hagelin - Pearson trade thread is here.
Hagelin appreciation thread is here.
Sprong trade thread is here.
Guentzel signing thread is here.
DeSmith signing thread is here.
Grant for Blandisi trade thread is here

Last edited by a moderator:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thank you, Emp, for starting the thread! :yo:

What a suck up, @Empoleon8771 . :razz:

Repeating what I wrote in the last thread . . . my priority list for JR:

1. L2 Winger - Getting Malkin sorted, and I think that includes finding him a Hags with some hands and jam (Ferland, Dzingel) is the single most important thing JR can do to improve this team.

2. 2LD - Finding an upgrade over Maatta (Muzzin?) to partner with Schultz allows Sully to ride the crap out of two pairings and insulate the hell out of JMFJ, who we all know will NOT be sitting when the playoffs start.

3. 3C - It's hardly unimportant. Brass isn't cutting it. Sheahan is more likely to kick it at a Vanilla Ice reunion than he is centering a 3rd line when the games really count. It's just less impactful in my book than the other two moves.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

1. L2 Winger - Getting Malkin sorted, and I think that includes finding him a Hags with some hands and jam (Ferland, Dzingel) is the single most important thing JR can do to improve this team.

2. 2LD - Finding an upgrade over Maatta (Muzzin?) to partner with Schultz allows Sully to ride the crap out of two pairings and insulate the hell out of JMFJ, who we all know will NOT be sitting when the playoffs start.

3. 3C - It's hardly unimportant. Brass isn't cutting it. Sheahan is more likely to kick it at a Vanilla Ice reunion than he is centering a 3rd line when the games really count. It's just less impactful in my book than the other two moves.
I agree with your list, I'd just reverse the order as I think the center position is vital to our post season success.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Do you think JR would do that much between now and the deadline? That is a pretty big shake up. I see more moves after the season than I do before the deadline. There are also UFA options at the right price of course. I just don't think this season is the best time for many moves other than adding a winger and or maybe switching a center.

What futures would you be prepared to deal?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Dunno how the D shakes out if it is Montour.

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Montour
Johnson-Schultz

? That last pairing could be horrible. I dunno..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I really think the Pens aren’t trading for any more D men and will never trade Maatta...lol...think they’d like to sell one or two though...having said that, I like your previous suggestion of trying to get both Tierney/Pageau and Dzingel from OTT...what will that cost? Likely futures we don’t have or want to part with, and it’ll likely start with Addison, etc and our first and probably a second first that we’ll need to get from trading Brass...

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Do you think JR would do that much (lw, d, c) between now and the deadline? That is a pretty big shake up. I see more moves after the season than I do before the deadline. There are also UFA options at the right price of course. I just don't think this season is the best time for many moves other than adding a winger and or maybe switching a center.

I wouldn't be surprised. However I think only two of those 3 would be bigger named players, while the 3rd (one of the Fs) would simply be some sort of depth guy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Ferland for a 1st is steep, but I really think he'd bring another dimension to this forward group.

Is Cam Fowler even on the block? He'd be pretty ideal and would give us that guy that JR has been looking for - a guy to take some mins off of Letang. I'm still a huge fan of Trouba, but the contract he is looking at next season is a cap buster.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A legitimate upgrade on defense is going to bring the most impact IMO.

Swapping out Brassard is more about fit and asset management. Like, we can get more value out of trading him and bringing in a prototypical 3C. The extra pick or cap space to address other areas on the roster.

Winger for Malkin would be nice. But if it's Ferland it's gonna be expensive. Bringing in a 3-4 D-man and a healthy Schultz would do way more for Malkin and our transition game.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Outside of dealing Oleksiak, I don’t think JR is going to touch the defense until he sees how things look when Schultz comes back.

The bigger needs he’s going to fix first are 3C and 2LW.

Reactions: Justin Sickways

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Do you think JR would do that much between now and the deadline? That is a pretty big shake up. I see more moves after the season than I do before the deadline. There are also UFA options at the right price of course. I just don't think this season is the best time for many moves other than adding a winger and or maybe switching a center.

Why isn’t this season the best time to make moves?

We weren’t good last yearly allegedly because they played too many games in 2 years, even though all of the players refuted that claim. What’s the reasoning why we aren’t going all-in this season?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think JR would eventually like to fix both the 3rd line to where they can play Phil on it again and his middle pairing D, instead of just hoping Olli-Schultz is awesome.

Also think he watched that west road trip and realized this team needs to get faster again.

What he can come up with atm? No clue....
But he can clear cap pretty quickly...Brass, Sheahan, Ruh and/or Rig.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Why isn’t this season the best time to make moves?

We weren’t good last yearly allegedly because they played too many games in 2 years, even though all of the players refuted that claim. What’s the reasoning why we aren’t going all-in this season?
We may not leave ourselves much for the rest of our window. The danger of going "all in" is that we may shorten our window and may not make ourselves better or more competitive this year. We are getting Schultz back, who is like a trade. Add a new center/forward and move out a D. Keep Jarry and the 1st.

Something like Sheahan and a 3rd for Brian Boyle. Rhuwedel for a pick or waiver eligible player or put him on waivers. Use Brass as Geno's LW and give Blueger a good look. That guy has to be hungry.

You keep all the futures and assess in the off season when you can /could sign a player or make a trade for a player on a good deal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad