Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Lebrun: “One player of note, Derick Brassard, I think Winnipeg has already kicked the tires on him with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I don’t think they liked what they heard at this point, but it’s early.”

There's a healthy dose of "he just needs a change of scenery" still out there. I wouldn't be shocked when this is all said and done if Brassard is moved in a 3-team deal. Contenders want Brassard, contenders don't want to give up roster players (typically), Pens aren't looking for futures at the moment so I could see GMJR taking Winnipeg's offer and shopping that around to a 3rd team.

Looking at the Jets roster, a guy like Brassard (not the Penguins version, mind you) would be perfect for them. IMO, Little's more of a 3C and they miss Stastny to really complete their top six. I think Brassard would bring more offensively to replace Stastny than Little can.

I just don't know who we'd get in return.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Looking at the Jets roster, a guy like Brassard (not the Penguins version, mind you) would be perfect for them. IMO, Little's more of a 3C and they miss Stastny to really complete their top six. I think Brassard would bring more offensively to replace Stastny than Little can.

Copp and a 2nd?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know nothing of Blueger except for reading boxscores and what I hear on HF Pens. How would he do as a 3c longterm, would he still excel if given more of a defensively responsible role? Also, it always seems like one of the requirements for a Pens 3c is to be able to play 1c or 2c for extended amounts of time, until the last few years, it seemed like they would always be used in that type of role.

Same. Although from what I've read/understand him in a defensive role wouldn't be the issue. The question would be (like most young AHL players) how much of his offense would translate from the AHL to the NHL, especially as one of the knocks against him was his lack of upper end speed.

That said, my comment was more so based on what we've seen from Rutherford/Sullivan and just general common sense on how GMs/Coaches operate then on anything Blueger has or hasn't done this year. They don't trade their 3c (Brassard) late in the season even when they're playing like shit, and put in a rookie who's never played an NHL game in to replace him. And should that happen (Brassard getting traded) I would expect to see Sheahan there instead, but even if TB gets games, and potentially even some looks as the 3c until a replacement is found, I still do not see JR/Sully trusting him as the 3c for a playoff run this spring. There's just not enough time to form any real opinion on him between now and the TD due to sample size.

The same thing will happen next season. Blueger will get a L4 role as either the center or on the wing. Best case scenario (for him personally) is that he proves himself, and when injuries hit he can step up and show he's ready for a bigger role going forward. However that had better happen early on, because if we're looking for a 3c later on in the season and TB hasn't had the chance to really shine, he won't get the trust then either. But that's next season, not this season. This season we're either going with Sheahan or going shopping as I do not see Brassard on our roster in a month.

Reactions: MartinS82

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What we want: Roslo
What we will get: Perrault

Not sure I like it at all considering the term. But the flexibility of actually being a winger and a center would be nice.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

If Brass goes to Winnipeg, I think a 3rd team will be involved. It's easy to see why the Jets would want Brass, but there's nothing they have that they'd be willing to give up that should interest the Pens. I can't imagine JR trading Brass for futures and then hoping to flip those for something else later. I think it would all go down in 1 trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If Brass goes to Winnipeg, I think a 3rd team will be involved. It's easy to see why the Jets would want Brass, but there's nothing they have that they'd be willing to give up that should interest the Pens. I can't imagine JR trading Brass for futures and then hoping to flip those for something else later. I think it would all go down in 1 trade.

The Jets would have to move a roster player. For both cap and roster space purpose.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Not sure I like it at all considering the term. But the flexibility of actually being a winger and a center would be nice.

If we’re focusing on this year and next Perreault >.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually don't think Copp and a pick for Brassard would be that bad of a haul. Copp last year had 28 points in 82 games while getting borderline 3C/4C minutes and succeeding in a defensive role (44.6% offensive zone start%). I don't know what kind of upside he has, but if you think he can improve on what he did last year when playing with better linemates, it may be a good idea.

Copp's offensive numbers are good for the ice time he gets and his possession stats are crazy good for the usage he's getting. That would actually be something I'd be really interested in. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has watched him more though, but statistically, he seems like a really good "under the radar" option.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com

PensBurgh made a decent case for Jack Roslovic. He's not the answer GMJR is looking for but he'd be a good forward prospect pick up, while moving Brassard.

My gut feeling is that GMJR is going to shop Brassard for futures, and then go to teams looking for futures and offer Brassard for a roster player that they then can flip. (example: Brassard to Anaheim for Silfverberg, Anaheim flips Brassard immediately for futures).

Reactions: KIRK

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Jets would have to move a roster player. For both cap and roster space purpose.
Unless they are willing to give up Lowry, then they can send that player to the 3rd team. I wouldn't be interested in anyone else (within reason).

Edit: I don't know much about Copp. From his stats, he could be a possibility, but the Pens would have to retain on Brass if the Jets need to clear cap space because his hit is only $1M.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
PensBurgh made a decent case for Jack Roslovic. He's not the answer GMJR is looking for but he'd be a good forward prospect pick up, while moving Brassard.

My gut feeling is that GMJR is going to shop Brassard for futures, and then go to teams looking for futures and offer Brassard for a roster player that they then can flip. (example: Brassard to Anaheim for Silfverberg, Anaheim flips Brassard immediately for futures).

Doubt Roslo is available.

Reactions: Riptide

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
2011-2012 Geno was even better. Kunitz-Malkin-Neal in '11-'12 was the best Penguins line of the Crosby/Malkin era.

How that team imploded was so weird. They got Sid back from the concussion for the second time in like, March, then went supernova. But by the end of the regular season, all the run & gun hockey they'd been playing left them so unprepared for the playoffs. Philly got under our skin and Fleury had a miserable series, from what I recall.

No. How that team imploded was Bylsmagic.

It also did NOT help that was the one deadline that Shero did NOTHING. You needed a winger for Sid at least.

Geno had 36 points which even by the numbers doesn't do him justice with just how dominant of a player he was. That total (if I'm correct) is the most in a playoff run since Gretzky in '93. That really helps put that playoff run of his into perspective. Geno was a machine. I believe he scored at least eight points each series as well. Ultra consistent.

I remember game 4 against Carolina. Geno did nothing in that one, because Carolina reached the point where they were marking him with 1 or 2 guys at all times. Didn't seem to care if they won. Didn't seem to care who else from the Pens scored. If they were going down, it wasn't going to be because Geno had another 3-4 point game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
No. How that team imploded was Bylsmagic.

It also did NOT help that was the one deadline that Shero did NOTHING. You needed a winger for Sid at least.

I remember Shero saying that Sid coming back was enough. That was his deadline move. Imagine thinking Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis could take you to a cup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I remember Shero saying that Sid coming back was enough. That was his deadline move. Imagine thinking Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis could take you to a cup.

No, we're talking about 2011-2012, when KMN was killing it and Sullivan-Staal-Dupuis was a really good line.

When Sid came back, he slotted between Cooke and Kennedy for a time and then flipped with Staal.

BUT, imagine if you'd have added a winger for Sid THAT year.

Of course, THEN you'd also have to imagine that Bylsma wouldn't be a moron of proportions smaller only than the epicness of Fleury's meltdown.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
No, we're talking about 2011-2012, when KMN was killing it and Sullivan-Staal-Dupuis was a really good line.

When Sid came back, he slotted between Cooke and Kennedy for a time and then flipped with Staal.

BUT, imagine if you'd have added a winger for Sid THAT year.

Of course, THEN you'd also have to imagine that Bylsma wouldn't be a moron of proportions smaller only than the epicness of Fleury's meltdown.

Oh yeah thats right. Honestly looking back, the depth was actually pretty decent that year. Cooke/Kennedy were pretty good middle-6 players. We were just missing a Guentzel type and a competent coach.

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I would be extremely hesitant to want Perrault. This is his 5th season in Winnipeg... he hasn't played as a center in 4 seasons - and even then was likely splitting time as he only took 440 FOs. And in addition to that, he's a 40pt player and frequently misses games. Add in his age (31) and his contract (2.5 x 4.1m) and I'd stay far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad