Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Your proposal is bad and you should feel bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Copp and a 2nd?

I'd be underwhelmed by that deal, if that's the case. I just don't think Copp adds anything that we don't already have. It's not that he's a bad player, he's just not really a need.

What we want: Roslo
What we will get: Perrault

Not sure I like it at all considering the term. But the flexibility of actually being a winger and a center would be nice.

I don't know where Perrault would slot into the lineup. He'd be similar to Brassard in that he's a bad fit as the 3C that we need, and I'm not sure which winger he'd replace in the top nine. Maybe Simon? Though I'm not sure he brings much more than Simon at this point (maybe more gritty than Simon).

PensBurgh made a decent case for Jack Roslovic. He's not the answer GMJR is looking for but he'd be a good forward prospect pick up, while moving Brassard.

My gut feeling is that GMJR is going to shop Brassard for futures, and then go to teams looking for futures and offer Brassard for a roster player that they then can flip. (example: Brassard to Anaheim for Silfverberg, Anaheim flips Brassard immediately for futures).

I don't think the Jets would give up Roslovic for a rental. They might, but I don't know. I also don't know if Roslovic would help the Pens *this* year for it to be the type of return JR would be looking for.

Rightly or wrongly, I think JR's looking at moves that will help go deep this year, not really moves that will help the team in 2-3 years time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I actually don't think Copp and a pick for Brassard would be that bad of a haul. Copp last year had 28 points in 82 games while getting borderline 3C/4C minutes and succeeding in a defensive role (44.6% offensive zone start%). I don't know what kind of upside he has, but if you think he can improve on what he did last year when playing with better linemates, it may be a good idea.

Copp's offensive numbers are good for the ice time he gets and his possession stats are crazy good for the usage he's getting. That would actually be something I'd be really interested in. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has watched him more though, but statistically, he seems like a really good "under the radar" option.

Interesting how Copp is good with 3g/10pts and playing as a winger but Sheahan is bad with similar numbers.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Copp is quicker than Sheahan. Not much difference besides that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

As I wrote in the trade thread. I hope they're not set on defense and that JR is looking for a Muzzin style upgrade on Maatta so we can ride the crap out of the top two pairings and minimize the damage JMFJ can do . . . to the Pens. BUT, JR loves him some Maatta, so I think this defense is set (for now at least).

The Oleksiak trade frees up 2M. Moving Brassard frees up 3M. IF there's a great add out there, JR could move Vanilla Ice and his 2M cap hit. That's 5-7M in salary JR could bring back.

He's got Brass, Jarry, picks, and his more limited prospect pool to work with.

He's got the pieces and cap space add a good 3C and an impact LW to play with Geno. Tierney and Dzingel works for me, but he's got the latitude to go bigger.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I actually don't think Copp and a pick for Brassard would be that bad of a haul. Copp last year had 28 points in 82 games while getting borderline 3C/4C minutes and succeeding in a defensive role (44.6% offensive zone start%). I don't know what kind of upside he has, but if you think he can improve on what he did last year when playing with better linemates, it may be a good idea.

Copp's offensive numbers are good for the ice time he gets and his possession stats are crazy good for the usage he's getting. That would actually be something I'd be really interested in. I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of someone who has watched him more though, but statistically, he seems like a really good "under the radar" option.

You don't think Brass could land someone bigger than that?
Or do you feel like Winn is adding to that deal?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

As I wrote in the trade thread. I hope they're not set on defense and that JR is looking for a Muzzin style upgrade on Maatta so we can ride the crap out of the top two pairings and minimize the damage JMFJ can do . . . to the Pens. BUT, JR loves him some Maatta, so I think this defense is set (for now at least).

The Oleksiak trade frees up 2M. Moving Brassard frees up 3M. IF there's a great add out there, JR could move Vanilla Ice and his 2M cap hit. That's 5-7M in salary JR could bring back.

He's got Brass, Jarry, picks, and his more limited prospect pool to work with.

He's got the pieces and cap space add a good 3C and an impact LW to play with Geno. Tierney and Dzingel works for me, but he's got the latitude to go bigger.

Do you have any feeling what he is looking for as a top priority? I would think a center or left wing is what he really wants in terms of upgrading. I truly think he would consider the defense if he got a great offer for Maatta but I don’t think he is shopping him around either

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Do you have any feeling what he is looking for as a top priority? I would think a center or left wing is what he really wants in terms of upgrading. I truly think he would consider the defense if he got a great offer for Maatta but I don’t think he is shopping him around either

Yea I don't think JR is shopping Maata either, but that is why I'm saying if we sent Brass off for a Top 4 Dman, we'd be looking pretty good on the backend.
Then maybe (just hear me out) the Forwards would actually get a pass on their stick in the neutral zone for once

Reactions: ChaosAgent

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

These other teams are idiots. The Pens just traded all of their boring stuff for every other team's 4th round picks. They definitely have more 4th round picks than any other team in the league right now. I have no idea what's going on, but if that ends up meaning something in this game...I'd say we're set.

Reactions: Rave7215

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I seriously think a 42 year old Cullen could play 3C for a postseason much better than Sheahan can. I still have a tiny bit of belief Brassard can flip a switch. It's barely there, but i'm holding out hope. :laugh:

Bring up Bluegs for the 4th line. I want him to get reps because he will be the 5th center come postseason time most likely.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I seriously think a 42 year old Cullen could play 3C for a postseason much better than Sheahan can. I still have a tiny bit of belief Brassard can flip a switch. It's barely there, but i'm holding out hope. :laugh:

Bring up Bluegs for the 4th line. I want him to get reps because he will be the 5th center come postseason time most likely.
Cullen-Blue-Simon 4th line?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Sure its the hope that gets you.

And as long as you keep his minutes down, then Cullen being a better 3C than Sheahan (or a lot of other people) really shouldn't be controversial at all. I wish they'd consider it.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Uh. Definitely makes us a better team.

Agreed. Maatta out and Muzzin in is huge - and I like Maatta. But Muzzin is a much better PMD, skater and overall defender. Brassard for Ferland leaves a 3c hole without a doubt. However Ferland gives us a physical element like few others and more importantly likely does more to get Malkin going then almost anything else we could do.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Marginal change at 3c, significantly better on the wing and a big and very noticeable change on the blueline.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad