Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ferland is leagues better than Brassard this year.
Overall though there's no way he would hold more value. JR would be stupid to do that deal. Which is why I don't see it happening. Unless other players were involved that is.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Doesn’t have to be a C, but Roslovic?

Hmm that’s interesting. If you put that up in the trade boards everyone on the Jets side would flip out— but I think that’s a sneaky possibility if they’re truly “going for it” up in WPG. I’d do it, but would JR?

You think there’s any chance Little might be on the table too as a way to get rid of his contract?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He's having a dramatically worse season this year than last year and he wasn't good enough last year, why would he suddenly be good enough now?

He’s had dramatically less opportunity to produce. He’s getting murdered in zone starts.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hmm that’s interesting. If you put that up in the trade boards everyone on the Jets side would flip out— but I think that’s a sneaky possibility if they’re truly “going for it” up in WPG. I’d do it, but would JR?

You think there’s any chance Little might be on the table too as a way to get rid of his contract?

Little is a really good player. Just has no chemistry with Laine.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Overall though there's no way he would hold more value. JR would be stupid to do that deal. Which is why I don't see it happening. Unless other players were involved that is.

Why? He’s a way better player at ES this year. Brass hurts the team by just being on the roster. Ferland is a net positive plus you’re subtracting Brassard.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why? He’s a way better player at ES this year. Brass hurts the team by just being on the roster. Ferland is a net positive plus you’re subtracting Brassard.
Because centers of Brassards ilk hold more value, period. Ferland is a nice player and all, but there are plenty of wings available. I can't think of too many centers of Brassards caliber that would be. In any case that'd strike me as JR selling low. It startles me just how low people value Brassard here. I'm all for trading him because he doesn't fit, but I'm sure as hell not gonna sell that low on the guy.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If you can get Ferland for Brassard no doubt I’d do it.

Than call up TB let him play and see what you got while you work on a trade for a better third center maybe move maatta for that center.

Then If Tb looks good then let him play 4th line and send Sheahan out. If Tb looks bad send him back down.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That’s why I want him lol. Seriously tho, I could see WPG being enticed by the flexibility of Brass’s expiring deal compared to Little (same exact age) locked in for the next half decade.
We can't afford that cap hit for a third line pivot. I like Little but I don't see that happening.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You don't trade a UFA center for a UFA winger unless the winger is appreciably better. Centers hold much more value. I like Ferland but I'm not doing that deal.

One has 13 goals and brings physicality, energy and production. He could really help Malkin or bring more of an edge to the 3rd line.

The other has 14 points and has played very underwhelming and lacking effort.

You don’t have to trade position for positions. With the way Brassard has played it’s not that risky to trade him and find a 3C in another deal.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One has 13 goals and brings physicality, energy and production. He could really help Malkin bring more of an edge to the 3rd line.

The other has 14 points and has played very underwhelming and lacking effort.

You don’t have to trade position for positions. With the way Brassard has played it’s not that risky to trade him and find a 3C in another deal.
It is risky if you sell low here, and that's exactly what you'd be doing. GM's are not so shortsighted where by they'd let the last few months completely dissuade them from a guy like Brassard considering his entire body of work. I don't think JR would do that and I sincerely hope he doesn't. There's no question in my mind that Brassard holds more value here. Plenty of wings currently available. Can you name another center of Brassards Ilk beyond Duchene?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Because centers of Brassards ilk hold more value, period. Ferland is a nice player and all, but there are plenty of wings available. I can't think of too many centers of Brassards caliber that would be. In any case that'd strike me as JR selling low. It startles me just how low people value Brassard here. I'm all for trading him because he doesn't fit, but I'm sure as hell not gonna sell that low on the guy.

Ferland is a winger, but as a power forward he brings a specialized skill set that GMs value (regardless of whether they’re right or wrong on that), can play either wing on any line, and scores goals. Couple that with his relative youth and a minuscule cap hit— there won’t be any shortage of suitors because literally every buyer can fit him in both financially and in their lineup.

I don’t think Brass holds zero trade value, and still is attractive to the right teams... but I also think he and Ferland are close to even in the market.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It is risky if you sell low here, and that's exactly what you'd be doing. GM's are not so shortsighted where by they'd let the last few months completely dissuade them from a guy like Brassard considering his entire body of work. I don't think JR would do that and I sincerely hope he doesn't. There's no question in my mind that Brassard holds more value here. Plenty of wings currently available. Can you name another center of Brassards Ilk beyond Duchene?

I don’t think it’s selling low though. Are there plenty of wings like Ferland? No. JR wants to win the cup this season. I think Ferland helps more than Brassard.

The goal should be to make the team better by adding good players that match our style especially a player like Ferland that we lack.

The only thing it’s less likely Ferland would be here next season so if you could make a deal with someone that has another year it’d be great but not necessary.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Btw, Kingerski is still out there saying look for Brass to the Wild for Eric Staal with salary retained....I don’t know about his creds but as long as the Pens dont re-sign Staal, that’s a very good 3C solution...don’t know why Minn sends its 1C out though

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Btw, Kingerski is still out there saying look for Brass to the Wild for Eric Staal with salary retained....I don’t know about his creds but as long as the Pens dont re-sign Staal, that’s a very good 3C solution...don’t know why Minn sends its 1C out though

Doubling down on a guy like E Staal filling that role would be dumb.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That at least would make more sense.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Doubling down on a guy like E Staal filling that role would be dumb.

Nah I’d do that in a heartbeat. Staal would be perfect.

Problem is Minny doesn’t touch that (hope I’m wrong). Bet they want a package of high end futures for him. Would be absolutely shocked if another expiring 30+ year old UFA could get a deal done for Staal. What’s the point of even trading him then?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t think it’s selling low though. Are there plenty of wings like Ferland? No. JR wants to win the cup this season. I think Ferland helps more than Brassard.

The goal should be to make the team better by adding good players that match our style especially a player like Ferland that we lack.

The only thing it’s less likely Ferland would be here next season so if you could make a deal with someone that has another year it’d be great but not necessary.
I disagree as I think that'd be poor asset management. But let's say JR did such a bad deal, who then mans 3C?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Nah I’d do that in a heartbeat. Staal would be perfect.

Problem is Minny doesn’t touch that (hope I’m wrong). Bet they want a package of high end futures for him. Would be absolutely shocked if another expiring 30+ year old UFA could get a deal done for Staal. What’s the point of even trading him then?

You could do worse but after that Ranger stint I’m skeptical of his ability to play that role.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ferland is a winger, but as a power forward he brings a specialized skill set that GMs value (regardless of whether they’re right or wrong on that), can play either wing on any line, and scores goals. Couple that with his relative youth and a minuscule cap hit— there won’t be any shortage of suitors because literally every buyer can fit him in both financially and in their lineup.

I don’t think Brass holds zero trade value, and still is attractive to the right teams... but I also think he and Ferland are close to even in the market.
I understand why Ferlands game is attractive along with his cap hit by many teams, I get that. But I still maintain that despite DB having a sub par season, and even with a bigger cap hit, his value is still greater. There's a good chance in both cases that we'll soon find out.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I disagree as I think that'd be poor asset management. But let's say JR did such a bad deal, who then mans 3C?

He can make more than 1 trade and Brassard has averaged under 14 mins over the last 18 games (for 5 points) so we can manage internally until another trade happens.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He can make more than 1 trade and Brassard has averaged under 14 mins over the last 18 games (for 5 points) so we can manage internally until another trade happens.
You've been around long enough to see just how hard it's been for this team pertaining to 3C's, right? I'm not concerned about what Brassard does for us as I believe he's about to be traded. But in doing so I don't want to just ''get by'' and be placed in a position where by another GM/team could bludgeon JR into giving up assets. If we move Brassard for a wing we're very much inviting that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad