Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree.

Pens are trying to win the cup right now, it has to be a proven 3rd line center, not somebody you hope could be a 3rd line center.
You mean like Brassard? We did that. We also had Sheahan there and he did decent in his role and produced solid numbers. You want to keep giving up prospects and firsts for rentals? Cool.

Then never ever f***ing bitch about a lack of top prospects and firsts ever again.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think if you get a player like Dickenson you can get away with Sheahan being a 30-35 pt player on the 3rd line.

Agreed. Sheahan, Cullen and Blueger provide a lot of insurance over a good but unproven center. Add in age, cost, years of team control and I'd take the risk. Besides, once Brassard is out of the picture, what do we have this year that we won't have next year? Someone like Dickenson would be a really nice bridge - you get young talent that has the ability to contribute immediately, while also having said young player for the next 3+ years at an affordable-ish cap hit.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You mean like Brassard? We did that. We also had Sheahan there and he did decent in his role and produced solid numbers. You want to keep giving up prospects and firsts for rentals? Cool.

Then never ever ****ing ***** about a lack of top prospects and firsts ever again.

I want them to do what everybody says their gonna do

Which is trade Brass for a 3rd line center.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Meh, I don't think that would be that hard. Honestly I think that most players we'd be looking at would just be happy to have that role vs pouting about how they're not a 2c and not just punching the clock waiting for the offseason, and as such, I think we'd see a line that overall would be a lot better then what we're currently seeing. Hell Sheahan could probably provide us the same level of play Brassard has so far.

Jesse did a nice writeup last week on Brass vs. Sheahan vs. Bonino, and Sheahan has outpaced Brass statistically in tougher starts and with lesser linemates. It's a pretty safe bet to think he'd be better than this current version of Brass as our 3C.

The things we really need in a 3C is very good defensively, and then able to get the puck to Phil. This should not be something impossible to achieve with the assets we have on tap.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jesse did a nice writeup last week on Brass vs. Sheahan vs. Bonino, and Sheahan has outpaced Brass statistically in tougher starts and with lesser linemates. It's a pretty safe bet to think he'd be better than this current version of Brass as our 3C.

The one thing we really need in a 3C is very good defensively, and able to get the puck to Phil. This should not be something impossible to achieve with the assets we have on tap.

Yeah, that was a good read, and honestly wasn't that surprising.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Right. I'm hoping it's just delayed for tomorrow. I mean, there's no reason to have Maatta's name in their database.

They almost certainly are using a central NHL database, rather than maintaining separate databases of players for every team in the League at this point, so having that info isn't a sign of anything.
(Plus, as others pointed out, it was a Vegas home game, so the sheet was made by them - which also points to a central NHL database, since that would make it easy to pull up all that info for away players).

Fordy

May 28, 2008

The things we really need in a 3C is very good defensively, and then able to get the puck to Phil. This should not be something impossible to achieve with the assets we have on tap.
also he already was a better 3c the last time he was played at 3c. coincidentally that was right before we acquired brass

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sheahan sort of has that thing where even when he's playing fine, it looks like he's not doing anything. Bones had that, too, though Bones was (obviously) better.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you go after Ferland you might as well get Faulk, too.

That would complete things pretty much and go the 3c route in rotating guys until it sticks.

That's their only weakness out of the entire team.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Ferland, Malkin, Hornqvist
Pearson, Sheahan, Kessel
Bandisi, Cullen, ZAR

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Johnson, Faulk
Rikola, Oleksiak

Murray/De Smith

Man, teams would hate playing that 2nd line, they'd give it back in spades.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
4C isn’t exactly a position you need locked down long term.

It’s the same situation as Pettersson. Bring in a young recently highly drafted player and hope a different system makes him develop into a better player. He’s a 4C now. Who knows what he could be in a year or two.

Let him play LW with Cullen this year with Sheahan taking over 3C duties. Gives you a group of three 4th liners pacing around 25-30 pts.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sheahan sort of has that thing where even when he's playing fine, it looks like he's not doing anything. Bones had that, too, though Bones was (obviously) better.

Bonino at least played with a high end determination/leave it all on the ice. Not saying Sheahan does/doesn't, but it was obvious that Bonino played that way, where it's not as obvious that Sheahan does.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
4C isn’t exactly a position you need locked down long term.

Yeah you don’t really want any bottom 6 player locked down long term. No more than a 2 year deal. I’d go 3 years for the 3C if they are good at the right age or young and have shown something in the NHL (or a young winger with top 6 potential/fill in top 6 role).

Bottom 6 players are in the bottom 6 for a reason which a big part is consistency so keep turning them over through trade, draft and FA.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He’s on a 24 pt pace as a 23 year old.

He’s a long term 4C solution that let’s you bring in a lesser 3C.

And is only playing in his first full NHL season. Why can our prospects get better, but other's can't? It's not like he hasn't posted decent AHL/CHL numbers over his career. Not saying he'll become some 50/60pt center, but going from a pace of 25ish to 35ish isn't all that extreme of a jump.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'd be fine dealing Brass for [insert best return here], and running Sheahan as the 3C.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
And is only playing in his first full NHL season. Why can our prospects get better, but other's can't? It's not like he hasn't posted decent AHL/CHL numbers over his career. Not saying he'll become some 50/60pt center, but going from a pace of 25ish to 35ish isn't all that extreme of a jump.

Unless hes going to do it by April. Im not all that interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad