Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Adding Faksa and Muzzin certainly would help. What you get for Maatta and a 1st gets you reasonably close, I'd guess.

That said, I wonder if a winger who you feel very strongly (you can't know, so let's say feel very strongly) can mesh with Geno might be an even bigger get.

Kunitz

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think I've reached the point where the Pens biggest issue is getting the Malkin situation sorted, and I think that includes finding him a winger who he really can mesh with. Finding him a Hags with hands really is critical, which is why I'm on board with the Ferland and Dzingel talk here.

We need to do something to upgrade the 3C situation. And, I'd like better than Maatta playing with Schultz when he returns. BUT, I think I'd like the ideal winger for Malkin more than both. And, if the price of jump starting and leveraging Malkin means I've got Sheahan and Maatta as 3C and 2LD, then so be it.

I agree with you that getting Malkin going is going to have a much larger impact on our PO hopes then the difference between a bad Brassard and a good or meh Sheahan.

I'd just like some sort of insurance against Sheahan in case he's not quite what he was last season. I don't care if that's a young kid like Peca or Dickinson who might not even be an option or someone better like Nash (who's likely not an option this season)... but I'd hate to be in a situation where it's Sheahan regardless of how he does.

Maatta as the 2LD doesn't bother me in the least - as long as the version of Schultz that we get some PO time is the good version and not one who hasn't played in 4 months and is really struggling. That is the biggest reason why I'd love to see an upgrade on Maatta.

I mean if we could get Ferland, get Martinez/Muzzin and get a kid like Peca? I'd be a pretty happy camper, even if it cost us Maatta, Brassard and our 1st+2nd/3rd. That would be a deep fast lineup. The only question is how good would Sheahan be, but I think he'd be good enough that he wouldn't be why we'd win or lose.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Ferland - Malkin - Simon/Kessel
Pearson - Sheahan - Simon/Kessel/Rust
Peca - Cullen - Simon/Rust

Dumoulin - Letang
Muz/Martinez - Schultz
Pettersson - Johnson

That's a pretty deep lineup. Not sure what exactly it would cost us aside from Brassard, 1st but Peca probably wouldn't be too expensive and then we'd have some insurance and a lot of depth.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Adding Faksa and Muzzin certainly would help. What you get for Maatta and a 1st gets you reasonably close, I'd guess.

That said, I wonder if a winger who you feel very strongly (you can't know, so let's say feel very strongly) can mesh with Geno might be an even bigger get.
I think if JR is judicious in how he allocates his assets, he could get all three. But yes, it'd be a fairly heavy price to pay. I'm ok with Brass, Maatta, a 1st, maybe Jarry and another pick or prospect going out, if we get those three players or players of similar value and skill.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Riptide, I'm with you. I was just saying my preference on order of addressing items is L2W, 2LD, and then 3C.

I suspect Ferland and Muzzin cost you what you'd get for Maatta, a 1st, a 2nd, and what you get for Oleksiak (on the high end).

That leaves what you'd get for Brass and not a ton to upgrade 3C.

It's all doable. BUT, you'd really empty the cupboard.

EDIT: Really wondering if Dzingel isn't a better focus than Ferland. Or, better still, trying to one stop shop for Tierney and Dzingel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad