Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They do. Our standards for 3 C are too high.

No, they're really not. People who want a 2C caliber 3C have too high of standards. People who want more than a reclamation project that may or may not do well don't have too high of a standard. I want a guy I can comfortably expect to give 3C results year to year, with being able to both be a shutdown center and fit with Kessel when Kessel is on the 3rd line. Sheahan sure as hell isn't that. I want a guy like Jarnkrok or pre-breakout Danault, not Sheahan.

Actually, let me rephrase. I want that or someone who has the potential to be that, which would add guys like McCann and Dickinson. Sheahan? He's a pure reclamation project, he's not an actual solution for the 3C spot.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I rather have our 3C have a good or strong defensive game (Faksa or 1M retained Staal) then all out offense and lack on D.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You could do worse but after that Ranger stint I’m skeptical of his ability to play that role.

Which is a fair point.

Idk.. he’s not reliant on PP production or 1C levels of even strength TOI (at least not the past 2 seasons), doesn’t need any sheltering/heavy offensive zone starts to do his damage. Good relative possession #s.

I think he’s better than Brassard offensively (especially at scoring goals), but more importantly is harder on pucks and stronger in the nasty areas. More of a line driver. Entries beast (Brass struggles mightily in this). And we don’t need him to PK or anything either. I think he’d mesh brilliantly with Phil.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You've been around long enough to see just how hard it's been for this team pertaining to 3C's, right? I'm not concerned about what Brassard does for us as I believe he's about to be traded. But in doing so I don't want to just ''get by'' and be placed in a position where by another GM/team could bludgeon JR into giving up assets. If we move Brassard for a wing we're very much inviting that scenario.

JR would know who would be available at C and I think there would be more than 1 option. Gm’s make trades to make their team better now or with the future in mind. If they try to “bludgeon” him in a deal he says no and moves onto to the next one.

What if you can’t trade Brassard for a centre or it really limits your trade options. Right now swapping Ferland for Brassard probably gives us a better shot of the playoffs.

If the deal didn’t happen whatever but I’d do it without hesitation because of the type of player Ferland is and what we have gotten out of Brassard for half a season.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR would know who would be available at C and I think there would be more than 1 option. Gm’s make trades to make their team better now or with the future in mind. If they try to “bludgeon” him in a deal he says no and moves onto to the next one.

What if you can’t trade Brassard for a centre or it really limits your trade options. Right now swapping Ferland for Brassard probably gives us a better shot of the playoffs.

If the deal didn’t happen whatever but I’d do it without hesitation because of the type of player Ferland is and what we have gotten out of Brassard for half a season.
Well I disagree as I view a 3C as a necessity and a winger as a luxury. And again centers hold more value unless the winger is much much better. And in this situation I don't think that's the case.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We can amend those trade options that I threw out earlier:

Brassard to Carolina for Ferland
Sheahan (cap), Hallander and a 1st to LA for Muzzin
Maatta to Ottawa for Pageau

You'll end up with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Pearson-Malkin-Rust
Ferland-Pageau-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Muzzin-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

That looks super solid to me.

Reactions: Reigning Defending

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

You'll end up with:

Pearson-Malkin-Rust
Ferland-Pageau-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Muzzin-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

I could live with that. Don't think Schultz will be good this season though as he's missed a lot of hockey and coming back cold from injury but we shall see.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Dzingel with another goal and assist tonight...honestly think he’s a better offensive player than Ferland and want him here more if we’re trading with OTT, which I think is unlikely because we have nothing they would want and I don’t want JR to use our first on a rental...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Well I disagree as I view a 3C as a necessity and a winger as a luxury. And again centers hold more value unless the winger is much much better. And in this situation I don't think that's the case.

JR would know what the probability of getting a centre in another deal. If he doesn’t think he can he wouldn’t do it but let’s assume in this scenario he can.........

Our 3C doesn’t need to carry a line and getting another winger who produces will open up the options of who that centre can be.

How much value do you think Brassard and Ferland are apart? Use draft picks to make it simple and easier to quantify. They couldn’t be more than a 2nd round pick apart value wise with both being UFA’s. When it’s that close you worry about what it can do for your team rather than “value”.

Especially when Ferland could be a real shot in the arm for Malkin.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

You'll end up with:

Pearson-Malkin-Rust
Ferland-Pageau-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

Dumoulin-Letang
Muzzin-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

It’s all fair value but if JR could pull all that off he’d be a legend. On paper that’s an amazing team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
No, they're really not. People who want a 2C caliber 3C have too high of standards. People who want more than a reclamation project that may or may not do well don't have too high of a standard. I want a guy I can comfortably expect to give 3C results year to year, with being able to both be a shutdown center and fit with Kessel when Kessel is on the 3rd line. Sheahan sure as hell isn't that. I want a guy like Jarnkrok or pre-breakout Danault, not Sheahan.

Actually, let me rephrase. I want that or someone who has the potential to be that, which would add guys like McCann and Dickinson. Sheahan? He's a pure reclamation project, he's not an actual solution for the 3C spot.

I was kinda on the “defensive ace” 3C train when the idea of swapping out Brass was relatively new, but after watching more and more games and as the season progresses.. I agree with JR/Sully.. that line would best function as another scoring line where a skilled center meshes with Kessel imo.

I don’t think a pure defensive “shutdown” type checking center is a great fit, just as a guy on the other end of the spectrum in Brassard, a pure playmaking offensive centerman, hasn’t been either. Something in the middle of those two extremes would be best I think.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR would know what the probability of getting a centre in another deal. If he doesn’t think he can he wouldn’t do it but let’s assume in this scenario he can.........

Our 3C doesn’t need to carry a line and getting another winger who produces will open up the options of who that centre can be.

How much value do you think Brassard and Ferland are apart? Use draft picks to make it simple and easier to quantify. They couldn’t be more than a 2nd round pick apart value wise with both being UFA’s. When it’s that close you worry about what it can do for your team rather than “value”.

Especially when Ferland could be a real shot in the arm for Malkin.
TBTH I don't think the value is that far off but I do think it's off. I guess Ferland and a 2hd for Brass and a 5th. Something like that. Still I'd be apprehensive. Now if we got a center in the fray first in a separate deal, then traded Brass and a 5th for Ferland and a 2hd, then I might consider it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was kinda on the “defensive ace” 3C train when the idea of swapping out Brass was relatively new, but after watching more and more games and as the season progresses.. I agree with JR/Sully.. that line would best function as another scoring line where a skilled center meshes with Kessel imo.

I don’t think a pure defensive “shutdown” type checking center is a great fit, just as a guy on the other end of the spectrum in Brassard, a pure playmaking offensive centerman, hasn’t been either. Something in the middle of those two extremes would be best I think.

That's exactly what I want them to acquire, I want a guy who can both be the center for a shutdown line and also fit with Kessel if you have Kessel on the 3rd line. It's why guys like Jarnkrok and Danault are at the top of my list, I think those guys can play both of those roles.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's exactly what I want them to acquire, I want a guy who can both be the center for a shutdown line and also fit with Kessel if you have Kessel on the 3rd line. It's why guys like Jarnkrok and Danault are at the top of my list, I think those guys can play both of those roles.

Yeah, Danault would be amazing. He’d score 55 at 3C with Phil.

Big no on Jarnkrok, but that’s besides the point.

What I’m saying is that in a vacuum I probably prefer Matthieu Perreault for the job over Radek Faksa— something I never would have thought 2 months ago.

Honestly that Roslovic suggestion has me really thinking, I know it’s a pipe dream but damn he’d be a great fit. And he’s got upside.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, Danault would be amazing. He’d score 55 at 3C with Phil.

Big no on Jarnkrok, but that’s besides the point.

What I’m saying is that in a vacuum I probably prefer Matthieu Perreault for the job over Radek Faksa— something I never would have thought 2 months ago.

Honestly that Roslovic suggestion has me really thinking, I know it’s a pipe dream but damn he’d be a great fit. And he’s got upside.

I agree besides Faksa. Faksa is unreal.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd be fine dealing Brass for [insert best return here], and running Sheahan as the 3C.

I'm a really big fan of Sheahan. But without seeing Sheahan in the 3c role for a month or two, I'd be extremely hesitant to run Sheahan/Cullen as our 3/4c's without acquiring someone who could at least challenge RS for that 3c role. And given how much time we have until the TD (Feb 25th), I'm not sure there's enough time for me to really trust him. That said there's several different ways you could do that. Someone like Z.Smith who could be a W/C as needed, or someone like Dickinson or whomever... but I'd want someone from outside the org who could at least help out if RS can't play/perform like he did last season.

And as much as I like Z.Smith (and I'm a big fan), I'm not sure how that works with his contract unless there's some retention or you're looking at him solely as the 3c, or you can sign Sheahan to a pretty affordable contract for next season.

Unless hes going to do it by April. Im not all that interested.

Why? Brassard has been so bad that Sheahan THIS season could replace 99% of what Brassard has given us - and that's without him stepping up at all with more icetime and a better role with better linemates. Dickinson would just be another piece for this year, but one that also helps you long term.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Sheahan sort of has that thing where even when he's playing fine, it looks like he's not doing anything. Bones had that, too, though Bones was (obviously) better.

Yeah, I wish I could go a game without noticing Brass. Whenever I focus in on him, he's always doing something that annoys the heck out of me. Sometimes he's just skating around with his stick parallel to the ice when he should have his blade down in the center of the ice in the D zone. Is he tired? Is he daydreaming? Does he think he's in the O zone waiting for a setup?

I have no idea.

Reactions: billybudd

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I heard Z.Smith sucks now (Ottawa fans). I'd like him but retained, still a good skater IIRC? On pace for around 40 points and can win faceoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->