Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - The Undisputed Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The tough thing is if that's the price to get rid of Marleau there is no way we're getting rid of JJ without doing the same.

That's what I expected all along of course but some people thought we could get rid of him for less. Doesn't appear to be the case.

Not our fault people think JR can get out of any deal because he did it once.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Or see if you can retain 750k and see if someone bites. Or find him a doctor that declares him allergic to sweat and then write him off as a LTIR for the remainder of the contract.
LTIR would be nice. Easy money for JJ. I'd retain 1M of JJ as well just to clear the cap space.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rooting for a team desperate for good D, it's quite disheartening seeing guys like Trouba and Subban going for firesale prices and we can't get in on it. But yeah for Subban at full price we wouldn't be able to do it even if we technically had the space unlike NJ.

Hopefully, the sale of D's are not finished and a couple of them ends up here.

Trouba's price was low because he was prepared to be a maggot over where he'd sign long term, Subban was low because 9.5m is a lot of money for him if he plays like last season. I'm not so sad about missing out on them. I'd rather pay Schultz 5.5m than Subban 9.5m tbh.

Reactions: Riptide

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I imagine Marleau's NTC made it very difficult for Toronto. Maybe Marleau was only willing to waive for SJ and SJ doesn't have the cap space :dunno: Finding a team with enough cap space and owners with deep enough pockets to buy him out like Carolina probably wasn't very easy.

I understand how bad JMFJ is, but the Pens have no limitations on where they can trade him and he makes half of what Marleau does, so I still have some hope it could be done without giving up a 1st. Where I have less hope is that JR is actually trying to do it after trading Maatta.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Remember when people thought Ray Shero was a bad GM?

He flipped Larson, Santini, Davies and two 2nd’s for Taylor Hall and P.K. Subban. Sure, he tethered himself to Bylsma for too long, but I never understood the hate for Ray Shero.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Remember when people thought Ray Shero was a bad GM?

He flipped Larson, Santini, Davies and two 2nd’s for Taylor Hall and P.K. Subban. Sure, he tethered himself to Bylsma for too long, but I never understood the hate for Ray Shero.

Because people are sad that Shero made them feel sad.

Shero got a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but a lot of it completely undeserved. He's no Milbury.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Because people are sad that Shero made them feel sad.

Shero got a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but a lot of it completely undeserved. He's no Milbury.

He made a few questionable moves.

His drafting was always criticized, especially in the 1st round. His second and third round picks thought haven't been that bad when you look at the catalog of guys that have been good or decent players in the NHL.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He made a few questionable moves.

His drafting was always criticized, especially in the 1st round. His second and third round picks thought haven't been that bad when you look at the catalog of guys that have been good or decent players in the NHL.

He's not without his warts. But I think he stacks up as a fairly average, occasionally above average GM. He's just sort of the inverse of GMJR.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not really. JR has done the same thing Shero did after two cup finals. Overpaid role players and has no draft picks that have panned out earlier than expected.

I guess I meant in terms of trading strategy. Shero held on to guys forever, even after it was obvious that they didn't fit. JR, at least outside of JJ, traded anyone he could.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR is under win now. So was Shero. But GMJR won 2 cups as GM and quite frankly some of those extension were for the 2 to 3 year window of cup contention. I do think GMJR knows he needs to retool and a couple moves are still doable. Any team with Sid and good Geno and healthy Letang, Murray and Horny can be a tough out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad