Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - The Undisputed Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Means Pens have about $5 million to sign RFAs Pettersson, Aston-Reese, and Blueger.

Would likely mean no room to add anyone else without making a trade.

Which is exactly what I expect to happen. Which does not bode well for us being a contender next year unless this year was simply players having a bad year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cap set at 81.5. That gives us 4.72m to sign Pettersson/ZAR/Blueger which is 12F and 7D

Less. We're going to need 13/14F as depth. So more like 3.3-4m depending on whether we have 13/14Fs and 22/23 players on the roster. I don't see how we do this without moving someone. Reese is going to get around 1m. Maybe he takes less, but I don't see it. At 82/82.5m things were going to be very tight... unless JR can get MP signed to something around 1.5-1.8m, and TB takes near the league min, I think we have to move someone... aka either JJ or Rust. Or perhaps both.

Something that might be an option depending on what MP/Reese/TB want is moving Rust for Comeau (2.4m) or Calvert (2.85m). We'd see some needed cap savings, but wouldn't be entirely abandoning things to the kids just yet.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Means Pens have about $5 million to sign RFAs Pettersson, Aston-Reese, and Blueger.

Would likely mean no room to add anyone else without making a trade.

Got to think there is going to be another move. I couldn't make it work (though I was signing Garrett Wilson to league minimum, 700k as well as ZAR and Blueger). Unless Pettersson is going to sign for under 2 million or if they're willing to go with next to no cap room to make a trade/call someone up.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I guess Jarry doesn't even bring back a 4th.
Apparently not. Now lets see if he can get a) A player that can pass through waivers or b) A player in the same situation as him. Too good to pass through waivers, but blocked from staying at the big club.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is he waiver exempt? He’ll prolly get waived in hopes someone takes him

No. But correct he probably gets waived in the fall. I think the plan would be to waive him and hope he clears... or that he gets claimed and eventually waived again - which would give us the ability to claim him and send him directly to WBS.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Which is exactly what I expect to happen. Which does not bode well for us being a contender next year unless this year was simply players having a bad year.

I take it you haven't heard of the famous trading strategy "Your good players for our bad players".

I dunno. We did have a lot of players having bad years. We did make a lot of improvements through the season that took time to register. We had some definite points of underperformance as a team. Still got a 100 points. We then got ragdolled in the play-offs... dunno what's up with that.

Maybe I'm being an optimist, but I believe this team can, if it puts its internal ****ery behind it, be a contender with a few moves. A few probable hockey trade moves and we do have enough players we can move in those categories that its possible.

Just I'm not sure the GM wants to make them. But I guess we'll see.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
JRs inability to make moves makes me think we are entering a season where making the playoffs might be hard. Metro get so much better all the time, we only get worse

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I take it you haven't heard of the famous trading strategy "Your good players for our bad players".

I dunno. We did have a lot of players having bad years. We did make a lot of improvements through the season that took time to register. We had some definite points of underperformance as a team. Still got a 100 points. We then got ragdolled in the play-offs... dunno what's up with that.

Maybe I'm being an optimist, but I believe this team can, if it puts its internal ****ery behind it, be a contender with a few moves. A few probable hockey trade moves and we do have enough players we can move in those categories that its possible.

Just I'm not sure the GM wants to make them. But I guess we'll see.

I think you just get to the point where you can only turn your beans into a certain amount of gold before it catches up to you.

Like what we gave up in total for Brassard and Sheahan to basically get McCann and Bjugstad is embarassing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Question:

Can we fit things if we waive/demote JJ?
I know it's 1.075M gained but can it work in a technical sense to fit the RFA signings?

Reactions: Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’d say so far the team got a little better forwards wise since beginning of last year in addition by subtraction.
Out Cullen, Wilson, brassard, hagelin, Sheahan
In Tb, Kahun, bjugs, McCann

If petterson, Tb, McCann, and Zar improve which they can that would go along way. There is also the wild card of Rikola.

This team isn’t gona miss the playoffs just a matter of if they get embarrassed or not.

Jake - sid - Kahun
McCann - geno - Horny
Rust - Bjugs - kessel
Zar - Tb - Simon
AJ

Dumo - letang
Pets - Schultz
Rikola - grubs
JJ

Is still a playoff team and younger than last year.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Question:

I know it's 1.075M gained but can it work in a technical sense to fit the RFA signings?
We still need a player. I don't know what the league minimum is right now. But maybe we will save around 300k

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I’d say so far the team got a little better forwards wise since beginning of last year in addition by subtraction.
Out Cullen, Wilson, brassard, hagelin, Sheahan
In Tb, Kahun, bjugs, McCann

If petterson, Tb, McCann, and Zar improve which they can that would go along way. There is also the wild card of Rikola.

This team isn’t gona miss the playoffs just a matter of if they get embarrassed or not.

Jake - sid - Kahun
McCann - geno - Horny
Rust - Bjugs - kessel
Zar - Tb - Simon
AJ

Dumo - letang
Pets - Schultz
Rikola - grubs
JJ

Is still a playoff team and younger than last year.

Forgetting the fact that JJ is absolute garbage and an anchor, that Kessel has mailed it in the past couple of years, Sid, Geno and Letang has all gotten older meaning the important CORE is around 32-33 now instead of 29-30.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Forget about the cap hit for a second. Subban for better or worse is a top 3D at the bare minimum. Any team that has a bad blueline who can add that for next to nothing (and it cost NJ pennies) is a good get. Now sure the contract/caphit sucks. But NJ has 15 players signed and after getting Subban has 26m in cap space. They could have afforded to pay Subban 15m and it still wouldn't have impacted their roster in any way. And with only 3 years left, by the time his cap hit might potentially be an issue, he's off the books.

Like I said, I hate the player, but this is a great move for NJ.

Sure, if you have a ton of cap space it's a pretty good trade. BUT NJ is one of few teams that could do that. It's not some genius trade where NJ fleeced the preds.
Subban is not worth 9.5 million on 20-25 team in the league, a bad contract. Nashville got a ton of cap space and some assets which is valuable to a lot of teams.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I don't remember but will "unofficial" announcements be made as early as tomorrow about where guys will be signing or does it stay pretty quiet until signings are allowed

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Not remotely close to being true. PM had a 6.25m cap hit and a full NMC. He wasn't willing to go just anywhere.

Still not a comparable. Marleau had a NMC. Toronto couldn't take back salary. And Marleau would only waive it if the team he was going to was going to buy him out (costing said team ~4m in real cash and a 6.5m cap hit). Toronto had like at best 2-3 options where a GM would trade cash for an asset.

JJ by comparison can be traded anywhere in the league. Nor are we in a position where we can't take salary back. Toronto couldn't, we can (to some extent). These are not remotely close to comparable situations.

C'mon man. Yes, Marleau had a 6.25 cap hit, for 1 YEAR! JJ is on the hook for 4 years and noone will touch him with a beanpole. I'd be surprised if we can get rid for anything less than either a 1st rounder or a garbage contract coming back....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If this team is as bad as people in here say it is and they have no hope for next year, the Penguins shouldn't do anything else and just see how next year goes. If **** hits the fan again next year, you have more leeway for making moves with the money that's coming off the books and the short term money the Penguins have committed. Gudbranson and Bjugstad only have 1 year left beyond this year, so they'd probably be easy sells next off-season.

C'mon man. Yes, Marleau had a 6.25 cap hit, for 1 YEAR! JJ is on the hook for 4 years and noone will touch him with a beanpole. I'd be surprised if we can get rid for anything less than either a 1st rounder or a garbage contract coming back....

The problem with Marleau is that he was forcing a buyout. If he was just being traded as a cap dump that would play for his new team, the cost to dump him wouldn't have been nearly that high. Plus Marleau had a NMC and was on a 35+ contract.

Reactions: Peat and Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Question:

Not really. I mean who's JJ's replacement? Riikola? JR makes 850k. Which means all that would save is 225k. That's not going to move the needle all that much.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Guentzel - Crosby - Bellerive
Legare - Malkin - Poulin
McCann - Bjugstad - Almeida
Bjorvkist - Blueger - Caulfied

What you worried about????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events