Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - The Undisputed Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Look at Ryder being the optimist. :thumbu:
I just don't think things are as bleak and hopeless as some here are suggesting. I like the Maatta trade, we freed up some cap space (still need to free up more and there's time to do so). I like what we did at the draft. So I think thus far we're doing just fine. Clearly there are more moves that need to be made, but I'm encouraged with what we're doing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We still need a player. I don't know what the league minimum is right now. But maybe we will save around 300k

Arm-Chair GM'ed this:

Jake-Sid-Kahun
McCann-G-Horny
Rust-Bjugs-Phil
Simon-Blueger(975k)-ZAR(1M)

Dumo-Letang
MP(2.5M)-Schultz
Riiko-Guds
JJ-Ruh

Murr
DeSmith

Gave me -582k(22 players).

So what are our options exactly?

-Get a Phil deal done?
-Get JJ gone?
-Trade Rust?

That about it?
Suppose it's good news that Garrett Wilson probably won't be back.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not really. I mean who's JJ's replacement? Riikola? JR makes 850k. Which means all that would save is 225k. That's not going to move the needle all that much.

Yeah I just saw that the $4.72 doesn’t include Riikola up, which is another cap issue...is he waiver exempt? Assuming they’re not going to buy out JJ, then someone has to go... would it work to take a chance and waive Ruh? We’d save all of his $700 k, right? That’s something...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I just saw that the $4.72 doesn’t include Riikola up, which is another cap issue...is he waiver exempt? Assuming they’re not going to buy out JJ, then someone has to go... would it work to take a chance and waive Ruh? We’d save all of his $700 k, right? That’s something...

Nope.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Arm-Chair GM'ed this:

Jake-Sid-Kahun
McCann-G-Horny
Rust-Bjugs-Phil

Dumo-Letang
MP(2.5M)-Schultz
Riiko-Guds
JJ-Ruh

Murr
DeSmith

-Get a Phil deal done?
-Get JJ gone?
-Trade Rust?

That about it?
And that's without a 13F, lovely.

Continues to make our defensive signings worse and worse looking, and definitely not just in hindsight. Assuming you need about another 5-700k for a 13F, plus maybe a little cap space for wiggle room to do an in-season trade, you're looking at needing to get rid of 1.5-2m at minimum?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So we really have to include his $850k in our remaining cap space...if JR is not going to make a bigger move, we could waive one of him or Ruh and just squeak by but it’s probably not enough cushion...

Well, as long as it fits.
Will be interesting what the RFA's come in at...

ETA:
Sidenote: JJ's albatross of a contract is one that just keeps on giving and giving if we potentially lose Riiko or Ruh to waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Arm-Chair GM'ed this:

Jake-Sid-Kahun
McCann-G-Horny
Rust-Bjugs-Phil

Dumo-Letang
MP(2.5M)-Schultz
Riiko-Guds
JJ-Ruh

Murr
DeSmith

-Get a Phil deal done?
-Get JJ gone?
-Trade Rust?

That about it?
Kessel, JJ, Rust and Hornqvist all have to go.

Bring in the Steve Mackennas for leadership and Alek Stojanovs for size. Because they'll work just great in Sullivan's leg churning system.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be honest, I'm content with just sitting with the roster as is (outside of trading Jarry before you lose him to waivers) and reevaluating during the season. I still think you need to clear cap space, so someone like Rust or Bjugstad will eventually have to be moved, but I'm fine with waiting until later in the off-season for that. I don't think you need to sign a UFA replacement for either of those guys if you move him, you have Blueger and McCann to battle it out for the 3C spot if you move Bjugstad and Kahun to replace Rust if you move Rust.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Kind of crazy that a year after having to rid himself of a bad defensive contract, JR asked himself to hold his beer and doubled down on dumb.. 7.2 million for JJ and Gubs.

I’m gonna lick BOTH fingers this time and shove them in the toaster!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if the roster isn’t going to be shuffled significantly, which is fine, the coaching staff should be.

Not sure how you go into next season with the same roster AND staff that got swept by NYI, who then got swept by Carolina, who lost to Boston, who lost to St. Louis unless you think we just had some bad luck or ran into a hot team, which isn’t a good mindset even if it were true.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The only necessary thing is that JJ is not on the roster. As for forwards the only thing I’m really worried about is Kessel and Kessel’s effect on chemistry/coaching. For all we know there will be new WBS guys pushing for spots, so I’m not worried about fwd depth.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've missed all of today. Can someone summarize the major Penguins happenings and rumors?

They made some picks and stuff, people are mad because they are all power fwd types, JJ is still a Pen and going to ruin everything, KIRK is in a panic, people still believe Kessel is coming back, I had a dreamsicle cone at DQ and my P30 Trigger 2 stick came today.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think if the roster isn’t going to be shuffled significantly, which is fine, the coaching staff should be.

Not sure how you go into next season with the same roster AND staff that got swept by NYI, who then got swept by Carolina, who lost to Boston, who lost to St. Louis unless you think we just had some bad luck or ran into a hot team, which isn’t a good mindset even if it were true.

I imagine MS gets half the season to try and make a dent. If not he'll be gone. It's not entirely fair, but it's the easiest way to shake up a roster full of elite talent that you can't effectively trade. Combine that with a good/lucky mid-season trade, and that's probably your best shot.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kind of crazy that a year after having to rid himself of a bad defensive contract, JR asked himself to hold his beer and doubled down on dumb.. 7.2 million for JJ and Gubs.

I’m gonna lick BOTH fingers this time and shove them in the toaster!

I mean, he probably can't move him right now. At this point, the Penguins just have to deal with it. With the cap somewhat stagnating, dumping Johnson wasn't a feasible thing to do right now. If it was, they would have traded him instead of Maatta.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I've missed all of today. Can someone summarize the major Penguins happenings and rumors?

JR talks in circles to protect himself either way but giving himself an out Incase he can’t make a trade because the salary cap situation for so many teams and the lack of a major cap increase at this time has f***ed him with any flexibility in making a move.

Lots of GMs are in this position though. Ottawa and others with cap space hold all the cards right now for allowing moves to take place quicker but they want a ransom to give you the space you need.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
The only necessary thing is that JJ is not on the roster. As for forwards the only thing I’m really worried about is Kessel and Kessel’s effect on chemistry/coaching. For all we know there will be new WBS guys pushing for spots, so I’m not worried about fwd depth.
Do we have an idea who might push from WBS? Like maybe Miletic pushing out Simon or more likely ZAR, as LW depth, but is there anyone else to look at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->