Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - The Undisputed Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because people are sad that Shero made them feel sad.

Shero got a lot of flak, some of it deserved, but a lot of it completely undeserved. He's no Milbury.

The problem with Shero as Pens GM is the problem you're running into now. Success bred complacency (or maybe contentment is a better word).

Reactions: Burn

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Thank god it’s finally official so I don’t have to see people posting about PK to the Pens

Yes, but for Shero, that's a great trade. Hard to lose adding a top pairing defenseman for crap, and the bigger thing honestly is that a lot of this is about Taylor Hall. Added his center. Upgraded the D. It's why I said I wouldn't put an offer sheet past Shero.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, but for Shero, that's a great trade. Hard to lose adding a top pairing defenseman for crap, and the bigger thing honestly is that a lot of this is about Taylor Hall. Added his center. Upgraded the D. It's why I said I wouldn't put an offer sheet past Shero.
People wanted to swap Letang for him in offers or Phil. Both equally stupid.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think both Shero and Rutherford did a good job.

Shero was more conservative with committing. I thought Shero did a really good job of managing the cap and setting himself up to be in the right place a lot of the times. I think he went heavy on Suter and Parise while some people assert he didn't. I think he was aggressive, it just never materialized. His biggest mistake was committing himself to Bylsma.

Rutherford hasn't been shy to make moves either, I think the thing about Rutherford that's different is while he makes mistakes, he's not shy to flip those mistakes when there's an opportunity. Perron didn't work here, Hagelin was a huge pickup. Brassard or Sheahan didn't work, he managed to get McCann and Bjugstad. I feel like Rutherford is less shy about taking gambles. Which is a good and bad thing. They're both good GMs. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have little to complain about with Rutherford honestly.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think both Shero and Rutherford did a good job.

Shero was more conservative with committing. I thought Shero did a really good job of managing the cap and setting himself up to be in the right place a lot of the times. I think he went heavy on Suter and Parise while some people assert he didn't. I think he was aggressive, it just never materialized. His biggest mistake was committing himself to Bylsma.

Rutherford hasn't been shy to make moves either, I think the thing about Rutherford that's different is while he makes mistakes, he's not shy to flip those mistakes when there's an opportunity. Perron didn't work here, Hagelin was a huge pickup. Brassard or Sheahan didn't work, he managed to get McCann and Bjugstad. I feel like Rutherford is less shy about taking gambles. Which is a good and bad thing. They're both good GMs. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I have little to complain about with Rutherford honestly.
Both Rutherford and Shero were/terrible at signing free agents and not particularly effective at drafting.

Shero constantly tried to find bargain bin players that never worked out and Jimmy overpays crappy players.

Reactions: KIRK

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Kappo Kakko can't fix the mess that is The New York Rangers
No he isn’t going to fix that team over night but to look at the draft and trades done in the division and say that the Metro just got a hell of a lot harder is a pipe dream. The metro is now the battle ground of the NHL and I’m not looking forward to it.

Reactions: Son Goku

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well, that gives you an idea what it would cost to get rid of JJ....

Not remotely close to being true. PM had a 6.25m cap hit and a full NMC. He wasn't willing to go just anywhere.

The tough thing is if that's the price to get rid of Marleau there is no way we're getting rid of JJ without doing the same.

That's what I expected all along of course but some people thought we could get rid of him for less. Doesn't appear to be the case.

Still not a comparable. Marleau had a NMC. Toronto couldn't take back salary. And Marleau would only waive it if the team he was going to was going to buy him out (costing said team ~4m in real cash and a 6.5m cap hit). Toronto had like at best 2-3 options where a GM would trade cash for an asset.

JJ by comparison can be traded anywhere in the league. Nor are we in a position where we can't take salary back. Toronto couldn't, we can (to some extent). These are not remotely close to comparable situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aiastelmon

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I can't believe how many are praising New Jersey for this trade.
Subban at 6 million is good, at 9 it's really bad...

Forget about the cap hit for a second. Subban for better or worse is a top 3D at the bare minimum. Any team that has a bad blueline who can add that for next to nothing (and it cost NJ pennies) is a good get. Now sure the contract/caphit sucks. But NJ has 15 players signed and after getting Subban has 26m in cap space. They could have afforded to pay Subban 15m and it still wouldn't have impacted their roster in any way. And with only 3 years left, by the time his cap hit might potentially be an issue, he's off the books.

Like I said, I hate the player, but this is a great move for NJ.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Top 10 protected

Yeah, but then it reverts automatically to a 2021 1st. So it Toronto has 2 bad years (or misses the POs and gets lucky in the lotto, then has a bad year) this could end up being a pretty high pick for Carolina. Personally I doubt it will be... but I love the fact that it's costing Toronto a 1st to dump him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Doubt they get Marner signed tbh

If Marner costs anything more than 8-9m (which is pretty much a certainty) Toronto will need to dump more cap space to sign their RFAs and fill out their roster. They have ~19m in cap space. ~7m will go to KK/AJ. That would give them 11F/5D signed. They'd need 2 depth forwards (1.4m) and 2 depth blueliners - well more really, but we'll go with that (1.4m). And that's at 700k, something few of their prospects make.

So just those 6 players are going to cost them at least 10m, giving them around 9m left and still needing to sign Marner.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think with the moves the Devils, Rangers and Flyers have made this off season, there is a very good chance we miss the playoffs next year if we don’t make anymore moves.

Agreed.
Not only did JR bog down his roster with unmoveable contracts, he has the bad luck of Phil controlling exactly where he wants to go with not many wanting him.
It's all just very meh atm and the reign at the top has turned on a dime within a couple seasons.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
When teams strike out on UFAs they will look around for Kessel and he may or may not agree to a trade.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Pavelski/Zucc seem like the biggest competition. If those guys re-sign then theres not really another high impact RW available.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Pavelski/Zucc seem like the biggest competition. If those guys re-sign then theres not really another high impact RW available.
He will also be much cheaper cap wise then some of the UFA names. A PPG winger at 6.8 cap hit? I'd still be on board for Zucker. Buy out JJ and have 1M cap hit of dead space for 7 of the 8 years.

Reactions: Malkinstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad