Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What LD could we even acquire? Brodie? Krug would be great but Boston isnt trading him.

Schultz for Muzzin (retain as needed). Assuming JJ was gone. Then deal with Muzzin and his extension/FA status next season after seeing more out of MP.

Dumoulin - Letang
Muzzin - Strallman
Pettersson - Gudbranson

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They need/want a puck moving RD. They have Dermott who can step into that 2LD spot.

But they're already shedding salary to make room for (assuming) Marner, so adding a more expensive player like Schultz over Muzzin probably isn't ideal. Not to mention the cost it took to get Muzzin, Schultz alone likely doesn't do it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
But they're already shedding salary to make room for (assuming) Marner, so adding a more expensive player like Schultz over Muzzin probably isn't ideal. Not to mention the cost it took to get Muzzin, Schultz alone likely doesn't do it.

Like I said - retain as needed. We could very easily make that a salary/cap neutral deal for them if they wanted. And basing decisions on sunk costs is never a good plan.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
If we could trade Schultz and Johnson, we could sign both Gardiner and Stralman to be our middle pair. Then run Letang and Dumoulin, and MP and Gudbranson together. I think that's a much better defense than last year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If we could trade Schultz and Johnson, we could sign both Gardiner and Stralman to be our middle pair. Then run Letang and Dumoulin, and MP and Gudbranson together. I think that's a much better defense than last year.

Little chance we could afford that. And honestly I don't think we need to go that far to the transition/puck movement.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think we will go with what we currently have on the roster. Unfortunately, we have no where to move JJ with how the UFA season's musical chairs is looking.

What about Winnipeg, who’s losing Myers and Trouba, and what about Calgary who says they want “grit” and may be possible sellers on their ufas next year, Hamonic and Brodie?

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Pretty sure the team sees Pettersson as a top4 dman moving forward if they are comfortable paying him 4 mil per. If anything, a top4 rhd makes more sense, or a puck moving 3rd pair left dman. I think over the course of the season, Niclas Almari will fill that bottom pair role. Really underrated.

Last edited:

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
He isn't bad. Zaitsev has been solid but the leafs are impatient af and rushing everything.
No, Zaitsev is really bad. I'm not sure where this revisionism on Zaitsev came from but he's always been bad defensively and after that rookie season his offence has also disappeared completely

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Schultz for Muzzin (retain as needed). Assuming JJ was gone. Then deal with Muzzin and his extension/FA status next season after seeing more out of MP.

Dumoulin - Letang
Muzzin - Strallman
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Glad we're getting the utter delusion out of the way early this July 1st. Are we also getting Weber for Pettersson because the Habs need an LD?

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No, Zaitsev is really bad. I'm not sure where this revisionism on Zaitsev came from but he's always been bad defensively and after that rookie season his offence has also disappeared completely
He's not a Penguin. I give very little f***s about how good or bad he is. I was just trying to be optimistic the kid can turn it around. Makes me some how feel better that JJ might grow a brain.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He was only the biggest, addressable one

I don't even think that's true. The biggest one would be to get the team (mostly the forwards) playing a sound two way style. Like how they did when Letang was out and how they did in the 15/16 and 16/17 POs. We can win with JJ. I'm not saying I'd want to try... but we've proven that it is possible - if the forwards play a PO style of game.

So while I too want him gone, the idea that we move him and most of our problems are solved is false - very very false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA