Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We've heard from a couple of people now (although not fully reliable) that Schultz is getting traded or re-signed. So if you get Stralman it makes sense I guess.

Reactions: domaug

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I actually think it would be Schultz. If we were to sign Strallman to a 4 yr deal in the 4m range... it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was Schultz who was gone for a quality LHD. But of course that's predicated on JJ already being gone - otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Dumoulin - Letang
XXXXX - Strallman
Pettersson - Gudbranson

I think the cap gets more complex in that depending on what Stralman wants, Pettersson’s raise and who that LHD would be. He need to be pretty good so likely expensive.

Yeah lots of stuff comes back to JJ I guess the cap would work if he’s gone.

I can imagine the scribble in JR’s notebook right now. The Pens were reported to want to resign Schultz but what date did the Pens say that and everything is so fluid at this time of year.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I actually think it would be Schultz. If we were to sign Strallman to a 4 yr deal in the 4m range... it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was Schultz who was gone for a quality LHD. But of course that's predicated on JJ already being gone - otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

Dumoulin - Letang
XXXXX - Strallman
Pettersson - Gudbranson
I love it. Any names in mind?

Or sign Sekera?

Dumoulin - Letang
Sekera - Stralman
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Riikola - Ruhwedel

Isn't a bad top 8.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. He was a 1st rd draft pick and has done nothing to diminish his stock since getting drafted... There's a big difference between that and a mid/late 2nd - even more so for us given how long it would likely take that 2nd to be an impact player for us (if he ever got there).
He hasn’t done much to increase his stock, which a 1st round pick should do. Guys drafted well after him bumped him off the U20 roster. His offensive production has increased marginally. He’s a good prospect still but not currently one with 1st round value.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Dumoulin - Letang
XXXXX - Strallman
Pettersson - Gudbranson

What if we end up signing Stralman, trade Schultz for futures and JJ remains? Now that defense is even worse...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I love it. Any names in mind?

Or sign Sekera?

Dumoulin - Letang
Sekera - Stralman
Pettersson - Gudbranson
Riikola - Ruhwedel

Isn't a bad top 8.

We’d certainly be changing our game plan with that scenario probably not for the better though.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Stralman wants too much term. I like the player but wouldn't want do anything more than 2 years for a guy his age. Wish he was a lefty....

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We've heard from a couple of people now (although not fully reliable) that Schultz is getting traded or re-signed. So if you get Stralman it makes sense I guess.

Was that the Rossi article? Because if Schultz is asking $7 mil you have to trade him...he’s not worth more than he makes now, and probably less, but there’s no way the Pens can pay him more than $6 mil...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know about losing Schultz and then adding Stralman. That makes for a pretty weak right side with one injury.

I'd want to go...

Letang
Schultz
Stralman

Bottom pairing as your shut down pair.

Reactions: Trade and Andy99

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Was that the Rossi article? Because if Schultz is asking $7 mil you have to trade him...he’s not worth more than he makes now, and probably less, but there’s no way the Pens can pay him more than $6 mil...

Yeah I think Yohe or Rossi said that and MAYBE Friedman. I feel like I remember someone else saying that as well.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sign Stralman, trade Schultz, and move JJ. How is that not a massive improvement?

It is only if we get a quality LD PMD back for Schultz...or sign one...otherwise we’re still not very good...Stralman is worse than Schultz, who was the only bottom 4 D man who could generate offense...we need an offensive guy on the LD if Stralman is here..

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
How though? I get that Sekera has injury concerns, but both he and Stralman can skate, eat minutes, and have a great first pass.

It could defend better sure but the transition is lacking. That’s pretty important to Sully’s gameplan. Move the puck quickly and keep it in our end. Not sure how good Sekera’s legs are at this stage either.

If Stralman is the #4 you need a good LHD PMD

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Nothing wrong with riding Schultz out and let him walk. You paid a 3rd for him and got a couple cups from his services.

Just about to post this..

Nothing wrong with just letting him walk. No reason to trade him now and be worse off for this year. He’s better than anything on the open market at this point.

If he wants $7 million for real, either let him hit the open market or if it absolutely comes to it, flip him at the trade deadline if our chances aren’t looking good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He hasn’t done much to increase his stock, which a 1st round pick should do. Guys drafted well after him bumped him off the U20 roster. His offensive production has increased marginally. He’s a good prospect still but not currently one with 1st round value.

Tim Hunter is a f***ing moron. I wouldn't put much stock into who made that team and who didn't. Literally the worst coaching job I've seen at that tournament since I remember following it.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I think we will go with what we currently have on the roster. Unfortunately, we have no where to move JJ with how the UFA season's musical chairs is looking.

Reactions: Jacob

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Maroon won’t be back with the blues

He looked slower than Maatta at some stages in the playoffs. Could play a decent depth role for someone but not something we’d be interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad