Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Rainbow's End down That Highway Where Ocean Breezes Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I hate this argument so much. This is equivalent to saying Chris Kunitz was an integral part of team Canada winning the gold medal. You have to look at why dumo played so many minutes. It was because of injuries and other dman were somehow playing worse than him. Dumo is such a vanilla player. He doesn’t really do anything particularly well.

That doesn't change the fact that if he was really a "#5" caliber D (aka a 3rd pairing guy), that he simply wouldn't be capable of playing those minutes. I'm not saying he's a top pairing guy - he doesn't have the talent. But he is a top 4D, and has been since taking that step in the 15/16 season. Last year GM6 wasn't a "one of". He stepped up big many times in the POs last year. Every key game, he played a big role and big minutes. And it wasn't just last year - he's been doing it for 2 straight seasons now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Without a doubt Kane.

Kane is the best player of those 3, hes also

The youngest.
The fastest.
The most physical.
The only one that plays the PK.
And he plays left wing, which is a need for the pens.

But he also has serious attitude problems. The way I look at those 3 are:

Hornqvist: the guy you know, but doesn't fit what you need
Kane: the best guy that fills a need, but comes with some major red flags
JVR: a worse version of Kane without the major red flags

I don't think it's a clear cut answer, each has their pros and cons.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d like to see Blueger given a shot with our full compliment of wingers once Rust is back and if Kane is acquired...

Blueger could come up and play well here... and we would still be bringing in a 3/4C. There's simply no way to know that what they'd be getting over the 5 weeks or so between now and the TD would be the 'real thing' to the point that they didn't have to go find a 3C. They can always try TB if there's an injury or during the last couple of games when we start resting guys. So while sure it would be nice to give him a game or two... I think if he were really ready, that he'd have already received that chance - especially with Guentzel being meh at 3C and Rowney being on IR.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean, at least there is an argument to be made about Kopitar’s overall play.

Maatta is like the ****ty version of OEL in nearly every aspect.

What's the argument for Kopitar? That some years he's really bad and other years he's really good meanwhile Malkin is just always good?

Both are bad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On consideration, if we're paying big for a ufa, maybe we should consider Bozak instead of those three.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem with Maroon is the question of whether he's the right winger for Malkin and Hornqvist. I'd only want to add a winger like Kane, I wouldn't want to add a lesser depth winger. I just don't view it as a need.

IDK... I really really like the idea of adding a grittier LW. I get that it's more of a want then a real need... but someone like Smith or Maroon (particularly Smith) who can play a top 9 role either with Malkin or on the 3rd line with Kessel or whomever and give us something different then what we already have is appealing. We have a LOT of smaller guys who are fast and skilled (or semi skilled). The only player we have who plays a gritty game is Hornqvist and Reaves/Kuhnhackl. And the latter two are both guys everyone wants out of the lineup. I have no issues wanting better players then the latter two on the 4th line come PO time... anytime really, but especially for the POs. But we have certain needs that those two fullfill (grit/physicality and PKing). Rust can handle the latter of the two, which can bump Kuhnhackl. But if we bump Reaves for anyone of the names that usually get tossed around here... that's leaving us with Hornqvist as the only 'grit' in the entire forward group. I get wanting speed and skill... but there needs to be some sort of balance.

Maroon would be cheap and would be a rental, and would cost accordingly. Smith (unless moved as a complete cap dump - unlikely) would be a little more expensive and has term (something that needs to be factored in a little as to fit long term). But he also has the ability to be a quality center for PKing and for injuries to our other centers.

Either of these two guys (or others - McGinn, Martinook, Weise, Grigs - although those latter 3 are certainly at the lower end of the scale) would give you a lot of different options for your forward group. You want someone gritty with Malkin? No problem. We're all liking the Hagelin/Hornqvist pairing with Malkin. But what happens if come PO time we need someone else to fit with Crosby? We had issues with this last year vs CBJ until Hornqvist was moved to the line. Another player with some grit who can play in the top 9 would give us a LOT of options. It might not be possible (cap/cost), but if it is, I really want that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm curious, let's say you have the ability to sign all of JVR ($6 million for 6 years), Kane ($6.5 million for 6 years) or Hornqvist ($5.5 million for 5 years). Which one would you pick to sign in free agency?

Hornqvist then JVR. I wouldn't touch Kane as a FA looking for term. A rental? Sure, okay I'm willing to roll the dice (although if I'm being honest I'm too cheap to pay the ask). But in FA? Meh, let someone else have him.

Reactions: Shady Machine

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
LOL. K, bro.

Bad defensively. Not some powerhouse offensively. 39 points last year. Only topped 50 once. Again. Maatta is signed long term and is better defensively. Who's better? OEL, easily. But take contracts into account, Maatta is more valuable. OEL ain't a #1 Dman.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hornqvist then JVR. I wouldn't touch Kane as a FA looking for term. A rental? Sure, okay I'm willing to roll the dice (although if I'm being honest I'm too cheap to pay the ask). But in FA? Meh, let someone else have him.

Agreed. Kane is a risk. If we brought him in as a rental for relatively cheap (unlikely) and he tore it up here and fit in well, then I'd likely be okay re-signing. But paying top dollar in free agency for a guy that has that kind of baggage doesn't seem like the wisest decision.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
On consideration, if we're paying big for a ufa, maybe we should consider Bozak instead of those three.

Seeing how we won't be signing Backlund? ;) Not because we wouldn't be willing to offer it, but because I don't think he'd come here to be our clear cut #3C. Bozak might, but I'm not sold on him being the 3C we need as I don't think he's nearly good enough defensively, and we want to be able to cater to our 1/2Cs - instead of having to give those starts to Bozak due to not trusting him in the DZ. The guy will be a good center - but I just keep seeing a lesser version of what we're currently doing with Guentzel there, and I don't like that.

Come July (assuming all FA centers make it to FA), I'd be looking at Filppula then Eller as my first two targets. Ryan and Nash would be right there as well. If I was willing to gamble a little, then D.Grant. But I'd be looking at a lot of different options before turning to Bozak and Pleks (age) due to how I do not think Bozak fits what we need for this team. Not to mention that he will not be cheap.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Were you the person who said Kopitar is better than Malkin?

Kopitar takes meh wingers and puts up 70 points, shut down D and has won a few cups. Also, he for the most part stays healthy. Not outrageous to say Kopitar is better after that 74 point season of his. Which is when i said that. Obviously last year was a down year for Kopitar but, he's back this year and has 45 points in 44 games. Again, he's at worst on Genos level.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
According to our friends and neighbors over at TIOPS, they suggested we made an offer on Kane and BUF said no. Wonder what exactly that offer was.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For winger,it's Kane or bust. We need quality not quantity.Our winger depth is good.

For me it's not about the depth... it's about the lack of variety. How many wingers do we have who can play a top 9 role and play a legitimate gritty game? Ideally with a little size to back it up (or at least not a midget). After Hornqvist, the only two that fit that category are guys everyone wants out of the lineup (and nowhere near the top 9 when they're in it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad