Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Rainbow's End down That Highway Where Ocean Breezes Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
They are. Imo. Kopitar has had to carry meh wingers most hia career and is still near a PPG. He's a better Bergeron. Sorry that I value Defense and availability. Malkins 2 more points this year don't make up for Kopitars defense and facing the toughest matchups night in and night out.

Look at Kopitars Zone starts. He doesn't get 70% Ozone starts like Malkin.

You think Kopitar wins a Conn Smythe and scores 35 points in a playoff run with Fedetenko and Talbot flanking him?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I remember before the season. I said Kucherov was the best Russian in the league. Got called crazy and that Geno was better. Hmmm. Looks like i wasn't wrong.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
....Wow.

If we can get OEL, everyone in our line-up outside of Crosby, Kesse, and Malkin is able to be moved.

Also, have you ever watch OEL?
Yes, quite often. I would stick with Maatta defensively, offensively is another story. Keep in mind, OEL is talking Doughty-Karlsson signing numbers.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
can JR retract that statement about not trading Letang?
I was willing to buy into the whole, was off for a while, difficult scheduling, need time to find his game, etc, etc. Ok that's all in the past now.
I'm sure Martin and Gonchar are in his ear all the time. Is he just uncoachable? Just a gifted imbicle?
I felt previously we'd lose out if we traded letang, now, not so sure. Oil is out of it. Send Letang for Hopkins (assuming Hopkin's injury isn't to bad). I might drive him to Edmonton myself. ;)
There is no doubt that an on top of his game Letang is a game changer for us.
The problem is he has been a game changer far to often in a negative way this year.

Really I would far rather see Letang just get his act together, but I'm losing hope that that is going to happen and before he loses ALL value perhaps we should be trading him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
can JR retract that statement about not trading Letang?
I was willing to buy into the whole, was off for a while, difficult scheduling, need time to find his game, etc, etc. Ok that's all in the past now.

Really I would far rather see Letang just get his act together, but I'm losing hope that that is going to happen and before he loses ALL value perhaps we should be trading him.

Even if he did retract that statement... the odds of a Letang trade making the team better in season is almost certainly zilch. Perhaps it's something that can be re-addressed in the summer, but given how many moves we'd have to make to try and replace what he should be bringing... it would be hard as f*** and expensive to do (cap/assets). I honestly think that the team overall is much better off hanging onto him and going into next season with him in the hopes that he can get back to where he was last year before he got hurt.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Gifted imbecile is a good way to put it, and I have a fun hypothetical to play with.

Give Olli Letang's physical gifts, and he becomes an automatic top 5 defenseman in the League. Even before vastly improving his skating this year, Olli became a legit top 2nd pairing defenseman despite his poor skating using nothing more than his brains.

I know this'll be a hit with some of the cool kids, but if you give Letang Olli's physical shortcomings, is he even in the NHL?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know this'll be a hit with some of the cool kids, but if you give Letang Olli's physical shortcomings, is he even in the NHL?

3rd pairing guy due to his ability to move the puck, RD and not being small. But nothing special.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You think Kopitar wins a Conn Smythe and scores 35 points in a playoff run with Fedetenko and Talbot flanking him?
Remember when Malkin was a rookie and so was Kopitar and this board (I was a lurker at the time) said Kopitar would be the far superior player and they already felt he was at that point? Then we all laughed.

Kopitar is awesome though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
At least Hagelin playing well makes our situation better. Either he's more attractive in a trade, or we are less worried about adding a LW.

Reactions: vabm8

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At least Hagelin playing well makes our situation better. Either he's more attractive in a trade, or we are less worried about adding a LW.

Given how he's been playing, I don't think I would trade him. But I'd still be looking for a gritty LW.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Gifted imbecile is a good way to put it, and I have a fun hypothetical to play with.

Give Olli Letang's physical gifts, and he becomes an automatic top 5 defenseman in the League. Even before vastly improving his skating this year, Olli became a legit top 2nd pairing defenseman despite his poor skating using nothing more than his brains.

I don’t think Letang is as stupid as we often paint him to be, tbh. He’s not a high IQ player but he’s not completely moronic. Letang’s mind in Maatta's body with his worst skating? Maybe bottom pairing because Maatta isn’t bereft of physical tools and Letang isn’t brain dead. Letang’s brain in a body like Scuderi’s wouldn’t be an nhl player. Likewise I doubt Maatta’s IQ could compensate enough for Scuderi’s physical tools in the current nhl.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The greatness of Jonathan Toews is one of the biggest myths ever pushed upon hockey fans.

If Toews was Slovenian, he'd be making $3 million and be in trade discussions to Buffalo for a 2nd or 3rd round pick....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad