Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Rainbow's End down That Highway Where Ocean Breezes Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Gifted imbecile is a good way to put it, and I have a fun hypothetical to play with.

Give Olli Letang's physical gifts, and he becomes an automatic top 5 defenseman in the League. Even before vastly improving his skating this year, Olli became a legit top 2nd pairing defenseman despite his poor skating using nothing more than his brains.

I know this'll be a hit with some of the cool kids, but if you give Letang Olli's physical shortcomings, is he even in the NHL?

If Lebron James was 5”9 instead of 6”9, would be even be in the nba?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Given how he's been playing, I don't think I would trade him. But I'd still be looking for a gritty LW.

You wouldn't trade Hagelin right now because he's not playing awful anymore?

Is he helping Malkin? Sure, but Malkin is just playing well right now. This isn't some magical combination. If someone takes that contract off your hands, fantastic.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If Lebron James was 5”9 instead of 6”9, would be even be in the nba?

tumblr_nhxgnsevO51sdrzr5o2_400.gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At least Hagelin playing well makes our situation better. Either he's more attractive in a trade, or we are less worried about adding a LW.
His speed is such an important dynamic and dimension to this team. If he continues on his current course I'd be careful about just trying to dump him. You can't teach speed and he has it in spades. So ferocious on the forecheck.

Last edited:

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Unfortunately there are a myriad of atheletes out there who excel in either smarts and awareness OR physical ability. The rare ones who have both tend to be the superstars.

Letang falls into the category of having phenomenal physical ability but lacking situational awareness and hockey IQ. For most of his career he has used his physical attributes to cover when he made a mistake or a bad pinch. How many times have we seen Letang scrambling back to make a play after he turned it over or made a bad pinch? As he gets older and he begins to lose the speed and agility, those mistakes are magnified because he can’t recover like he used to.

He must adapt his game and learn how to read situations or continue to cost the team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad