Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Man, Oh, Man, Oh, Friend of Mine. All Good Things in All Good Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With LA, unless Carter was set to come back and they wanted to move someone like Lewis for Sheary (Lewis is a speedy C, RH), no clue why LA would be scouting us. I'd rather it was Hunwick + for Lewis so we can wash our hands clean of that piece of hot garbage. I'd rather Oleksiak-Ruhwedel as our 3rd pair. Or...

Simon, Crosby, Sheary
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Guentzel, Lewis, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Rust

Dumoulin, Letang
Oleksiak, Schultz
Maatta, Ruhwedel

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just passing on information or rumor; Matt Hunwick to Boston for Kevan Miller, LD for a RD.

Listen... Hunwick being gone would make me legit fist pump. The guy just sucks. I'd seriously rather have Ben Lovejoy. So don't go putting hopes into my brain.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
DeSmith starting again is interesting to me. Not because he has played poorly, he has played really well in the last 2 games, but Jarry wasn't playing poorly before DeSmith's first start. In the 3 games before DeSmith's first start, Jarry stopped 29 of 30, 26 of 28 and 28 of 32 (28 of 32 was that mess of a defensive game against Anaheim). Yeah, DeSmith has played really well in both of his starts, but it's not like Jarry wasn't playing really well too right before. I just find it a little odd, that he's playing a Jeff Zatkoff clone who had a good 2 games over a top end goalie prospect who was also playing well.

I don't think DeSmith has any sort of value, which is why I don't think they're showcasing him. Still though, it's interesting to see.

Could it be more a matter of seeing what they have (while they have the chance to do it), to see what options it open's up with either him or Jarry? I don't really believe they'd move either right now as both are waiver exempt... but it is interesting to see him getting starts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Learned something new today. From Friedman's 31 Thoughts.

#25: Thompson told Blues broadcaster Darren Pang that coming back from the AHL after the bye week is a bigger-than-expected adjustment because of the stick. The American League has a deal with a manufacturer that most can’t avoid. (Usually, older veterans are exempt.) In the NHL, you can use what you want. So, being in the minors means a much stiffer shaft, and controlling/shooting it is a bit of work once you get back to your whippier NHL model.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I made a new thread for posting scouting reports.

Anyways, who would we want from the Bruins and Kings? Kings play Canes 2/13 and us 2/15, so I’d say not them. Bruins don’t play the Canes until 2/27 and us 3/1, and AGM’s don’t go out scouting normally.

Riley Nash. Currently Boston's #3c. They have the option of sliding Backes or Spooner into the role. RHS, not small (not big either), and will be a 29 yr old FA this summer. Currently playing 15 minutes a night, winning 51.5% of his draws and on pace for 40 points - almost all of which are at ES. ZS of 46.5%. That said, unless they know they cannot re-sign him, I'm not sure why they would move him - especially as it looks like they'll be playoff bound.

Carolina on the other hand is starting to fade... which means I'd be kicking tires on Derek Ryan. Older at 31, but still on pace for 32 ES points and 40+ points overall. Good on draws, also a RHS, winning 56% of his draws and can skate. He is on the smaller side (5-10/170) and gets pretty favorable zone starts (67%)... but I'm not sure if that's by necessity or by design as they have Staal and Kruger who can handle the DZ stuff. But as a team that's known for being more budget conscious perhaps there's options there?

I'm struggling to see the value in bringing in one of Boston's RD - even if it's at the cost of Cole/Hunwick. Where would they play? Do you really think JR wants a 3rd pairing of Oleksiak-Miller/McQuaid ? I guess it's possible Olek plays with JS and OM plays on the 3rd... but I just don't see it. They wanted Hunwick for his skating ability to attempt to make up for what we lost with Daley, and neither of Miller or McQuaid are all that great in that dept (worse then Cole IMO). Not bad... but far from great. And both handle the puck worse then Cole does.

As things stand, Olek and Cole can both play RD, and Ruh is an RD. I just do not see why we'd bring in another RD - especially one who doesn't suit our style at all. People are hating on Hunwick (and I get it)... but I don't think they'd like Miller/McQuaid any better.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Just passing on information or rumor; Matt Hunwick to Boston for Kevan Miller, LD for a RD.

Not sure where you got that but PGH Hockey Now had a tidbit saying they've heard Kevin Millers name come up. I dont think he's a particularly good skater but he's has excellent shot suppression numbers and like to throw his weight around. Surprisingly good possession stats for a defensive D-man.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sounds like Kevin Miller is not the path this team should go down.

But they've been getting stronger and slower all year. Maybe Hunwick gone is addition by subtraction in any case.

Reactions: Andy99

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
I hope you guys get Pageau, his talent is being wasted right now. A lot of folks here seem to think he's inconsistent, but that's only because you never get to see him play on a regular basis. He is all heart, key player during clutch moments and a hell of a PK'er. Great puck handling and possession, responsible and defensively minded. He's not having a great year, I'll give you that, but neither's the rest of the team... everyone's completely demoralized. Ottawa's become a toxic environment for hockey thanks to Uncle Euge and the whole team's going down thanks to that clown.

Anyways, I hope a trade gets done and you get Pageau. He's my favorite player and he deserves a good team.

Every shift I watch Riley Sheahan skate makes me pray for the same.

EDIT: And, he'd be centering Kessel and Guentzel, so he'd definitely get a chance to shine . . .

I'll just leave this here:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pageau would be a secret ingredient that would put us over the top. I would give up first and sprong in a heartbit (Since I gave up on Sprong he won't be playing for Sully anyways). We would be so good, unreal...

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Pageau would be a secret ingredient that would put us over the top. I would give up first and sprong in a heartbit (Since I gave up on Sprong he won't be playing for Sully anyways). We would be so good, unreal...
but why? JPG is barely more offensive than Sheahan while being less defensive.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The thing with Sheahan is that he hasn't looked better with our better wingers. He doesn't seem to be able to lift his offensive game with the speed/skill players we have. He looks much better, maybe more comfortable or confident, playing with fourth line grinders. So in no way should he still be playing on the third line.
I don't know if we should be spending the assets on Pageau either, as I think it's speculative that he'd be a lot better as 3C--outside of some PO games, he's looked rather ordinary offensively at 3C . Unlike some other options we discussed like Brassard, Bozak....
Right now, I wish Sully would try internal options Dea, Haggerty (sign him already) etc at 3C, not 4C, and see if someone with more speed and offensive gifts than Sheahan sticks...

Reactions: Shady Machine

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
With LA, unless Carter was set to come back and they wanted to move someone like Lewis for Sheary (Lewis is a speedy C, RH), no clue why LA would be scouting us. I'd rather it was Hunwick + for Lewis so we can wash our hands clean of that piece of hot garbage. I'd rather Oleksiak-Ruhwedel as our 3rd pair. Or...

Simon, Crosby, Sheary
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Guentzel, Lewis, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Rust

Dumoulin, Letang
Oleksiak, Schultz
Maatta, Ruhwedel

Lewis has spend pretty much his whole NHL-career (8 seasons) on wing, right? So I don't see him being option as center as he's not even that on a team that has lacked true #3 C since Mike Richards' career went downhill.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Sure but Tom Pyatt isnt and Chris Kelley isnt and Zack Smith is meh

So 41% of the time he has 1 good linemates and 40% of the time he has poop. With about 19% being mish mash.

It seem very reasonable that, you know being flanked by Guentzel and Kessel might just bring up those numbers.
I was comparing their 2016-2017 seasons, in which JPG had higher quality teammates more often than Sheahan.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I was comparing their 2016-2017 seasons

I understand what you comparing. JGP put up 33 with that usage with 0 PP points. If he can put up 33 points with one good winger for 41% of the time. What might he do with 2 really good wingers most of the time?

Considering Sheahan has looked fine on the 4th line it would really solidify the forwards.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I understand what you comparing. JGP put up 33 with that usage with 0 PP points. If he can put up 33 points with one good winger for 41% of the time. What might he do with 2 really good wingers most of the time?

Considering Sheahan has looked fine on the 4th line it would really solidify the forwards.

Really, anything slightly north of Sheahan offensively is going to solve A TON of this team's issues.

That's honestly not hyperbole. We're a 3C away from crystallizing and setting ourselves up for a deep run

bigG

Jan 18, 2010

yeah but the underlying stats show that JPG is a passenger and not a driver.

edit:
https://hockeyviz.com/fixedImg/wowy/1617/OTT/pageaje92/
2016-2017:

Actually looks like he's an anchor most of the time.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Really, anything slightly north of Sheahan offensively is going to solve A TON of this team's issues.

That's honestly not hyperbole. We're a 3C away from crystallizing and setting ourselves up for a deep run

It’s about having someone to mesh with Kessel so we can have 3 dangerous lines and a good 4th line.

When that happens we’ll be more attacking and that suits our D.

With Sheahan as our 3C we can’t do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad