Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Man, Oh, Man, Oh, Friend of Mine. All Good Things in All Good Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sheahan has been playing well enough for me to look for a solid 4C option. If not Girgensons, I would look at adding a veteran 4C. I'm not going to argue the whole notion that Sheahan isn't fine at 3C (He is) or that Kessel needs to be on the 3rd line (He doesn't).

It varies from person to person what this team really needs.

I think a good #6 RD and move Oleksiak to LD needs to be done.
A better 4C.

I'd be happy with just those two. The rest is coaching.

Sheahan has looked the best at 4C and after his hot streak has come back to earth. He's currently on pace for 29 points per 82 in Pittsburgh. While not terrible, Pens can and should do better at 3C. Or, at the very least, get a Letestu type that can challenge for 3C.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sheahan for me just doesn’t have the intensity to play in the top 9 (I’d rather he not be on the team at all).

Too many times I see a close game and he just doesn’t seem to go hard enough. When the game is on the line you need that desperation especially in the playoffs. He just doesn’t have it. That’s a huge concern on top of any of the other stuff.

I'm interested to see what Sheahan looks like in the playoffs. Bigger guys tend to look better and with the added tension he might show well. That doesn't mean he should be the regular 3C, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he lifted his game when push came to shove.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm interested to see what Sheahan looks like in the playoffs. Bigger guys tend to look better and with the added tension he might show well. That doesn't mean he should be the regular 3C, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he lifted his game when push came to shove.

He doesn’t really use his size though.

Reactions: Shady Machine

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sheahan is a player with tools, but no box to put them in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheahan has looked the best at 4C and after his hot streak has come back to earth. He's currently on pace for 29 points per 82 in Pittsburgh. While not terrible, Pens can and should do better at 3C. Or, at the very least, get a Letestu type that can challenge for 3C.

No. Sheahan has looked good with 2 wingers that were closer to his style of play, you know, kind of like how Simon looks good with Crosby, because it fits his style. Of which Guentzel and Kessel do not by the way, both would be better suited flanked by one of Sid or Geno.

Sheahan looked better with Hornqvist as his RW, his left wing remains to be determined if it's Sheary or not, but this fallacy that he's not a good 3C is one of the most idiotic and dumbest f***ing narratives on this board, rather frustrating.

Reactions: Riptide

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sutter has a 4.375m cap hit for the next 4 seasons and he currently has 4 goals and 8 points. He's robbing them!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheahan for me just doesn’t have the intensity to play in the top 9 (I’d rather he not be on the team at all).

Too many times I see a close game and he just doesn’t seem to go hard enough. When the game is on the line you need that desperation especially in the playoffs. He just doesn’t have it. That’s a huge concern on top of any of the other stuff.

I think this is too far on Sheahan, he's a solid player and would be a great 4C for any team. He's in a middle ground between someone like Spaling and Bonino, aka he's between a no skill defensive center and a skilled defensive center. He's not Spaling, where all he'll provide is good positional play, but he's not Bonino, who actually has skill and talent along with that defensive play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd be shocked if Letestu out-produced Sheahan, if he came to the Pens. Folks need to realize that a lot of Letestu's production is because he's used on Edmonton's top PP unit and, as hard as it is to believe, the PP kind of funnels the puck to him as the one-time option.

Letestu has scored 34 goals the past 3 seasons in Edmonton, with only eleven of them coming at ES. 17 of those 34 goals (exactly half) have come on the PP, with another 6 coming shorthanded. The same sort of ratios make up his assist totals, too.

IMO, Letestu might have been a good target if we didn't have Sheahan, or if we were comfortable with Sheahan being the 3C in the playoffs. But if people believe Sheahan should be 4C and the Pens need to add a 3C, Letestu is *not* someone they should be hoping for.

Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think this is too far on Sheahan, he's a solid player and would be a great 4C for any team. He's in a middle ground between someone like Spaling and Bonino, aka he's between a no skill defensive center and a skilled defensive center. He's not Spaling, where all he'll provide is good positional play, but he's not Bonino, who actually has skill and talent along with that defensive play.

Yeah that’s fair, he’s good on the 4th line it’s just his intensity that bugs me. If he’s on the L4 I’m ok with it just wish he had a little more push. I just don’t want to see him on the 3rd line because right now it hurts both L3 and L4.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Without a doubt. Such promise...such lineage. He isn't a fraction of the Sutter's that have come before him.

Man I admittedly knew nothing about Sutter prior to getting him but holy crap he's one of the softest most useless players I've seen.

He was pretty much good for nothing but the very occasional rush goal.

Shero must not have scouted him either when he made that trade because Sutter was nothing like Staal who is an ox of a man who wins every battle.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Man I admittedly knew nothing about Sutter prior to getting him but holy crap he's one of the softest most useless players I've seen.

He was pretty much good for nothing but the very occasional rush goal.

Shero must not have scouted him either when he made that trade because Sutter was nothing like Staal who is an ox of a man who wins every battle.

It was a while back, but if memory serves, Staal pretty much held all the cards in terms of being traded and he wanted to play with one of his brothers. So it was NYR, CAR or let him walk after the season for nothing. Also, pretty sure Sutter never wanted to be a Pen, but regardless, he was definitely better with the Canes than he was with us.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Not to be a prisoner of the moment... But is DeSmith quietly helping us gain a valuable trade chip right now? (Jarry)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It was a while back, but if memory serves, Staal pretty much held all the cards in terms of being traded and he wanted to play with one of his brothers. So it was NYR, CAR or let him walk after the season for nothing. Also, pretty sure Sutter never wanted to be a Pen, but regardless, he was definitely better with the Canes than he was with us.

So was Hainsey (also with Tor).

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Not to be a prisoner of the moment... But is DeSmith quietly helping us gain a valuable trade chip right now? (Jarry)

Nah, Jarry has a lot of talent but I can't imagine he's that valuable as a trade chip. DeSmith might ultimately make Jarry expendable, but at best he's a piece in a package, not somebody who's going to headline a trade for a significant addition.

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
I hope you guys get Pageau, his talent is being wasted right now. A lot of folks here seem to think he's inconsistent, but that's only because you never get to see him play on a regular basis. He is all heart, key player during clutch moments and a hell of a PK'er. Great puck handling and possession, responsible and defensively minded. He's not having a great year, I'll give you that, but neither's the rest of the team... everyone's completely demoralized. Ottawa's become a toxic environment for hockey thanks to Uncle Euge and the whole team's going down thanks to that clown.

Anyways, I hope a trade gets done and you get Pageau. He's my favorite player and he deserves a good team.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I hope you guys get Pageau, his talent is being wasted right now. A lot of folks here seem to think he's inconsistent, but that's only because you never get to see him play on a regular basis. He is all heart, key player during clutch moments and a hell of a PK'er. Great puck handling and possession, responsible and defensively minded. He's not having a great year, I'll give you that, but neither's the rest of the team... everyone's completely demoralized. Ottawa's become a toxic environment for hockey thanks to Uncle Euge and the whole team's going down thanks to that clown.

Anyways, I hope a trade gets done and you get Pageau. He's my favorite player and he deserves a good team.
I hope we can work out a trade for whichever of the top 3 centers Melnyk and Dorion decide to move.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Every shift I watch Riley Sheahan skate makes me pray for the same.

EDIT: And, he'd be centering Kessel and Guentzel, so he'd definitely get a chance to shine . . .

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Nothing Murphy ever says is true, so this is a pretty good indication that the Penguins are heavily interested in Kane.

Throwback to this gem:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Nothing Murphy ever says is true, so this is a pretty good indication that the Penguins are heavily interested in Kane.

Throwback to this gem:

If you've been here for the last month, then you'd know the Pens are in the Kane sweeps.

BTW, they never were out of the Duchene sweeps until the end . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad