Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Man, Oh, Man, Oh, Friend of Mine. All Good Things in All Good Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The trade market seems to be filled with really good left wingers this year

Nash
Kane
Grabner
Patches
Hoffman

Because of the supply and demand thing these guys shouldn't be as expensive as they normally would.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Vegas' success has shown how massively important it is in the NHL today to have strong scoring from your depth lines if you want to succeed in the NHL. This isn't 2013-2014 anymore, where the Penguins dominated the league based on a dynamic top-6 and a bad bottom-6, that just doesn't work anymore. Last night showed what the 4th line could be with actually playing the best players and trying to have a good 4th line, they need to remember that and continue to build towards that.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It’s about having someone to mesh with Kessel so we can have 3 dangerous lines and a good 4th line.

When that happens we’ll be more attacking and that suits our D.

With Sheahan as our 3C we can’t do that.

Kessel has someone he can play with, his name is Malkin. This year, it really hasn't mattered where or with whom Kessel has played, either. He has been our best player, our most consistent player. I think we might be chasing our tail in search of a line that would work as well as HBK did. That's in the past. Just like Cooke-Staal-Kennedy is in the past. We need to move on.

Right now, I believe we have enough talent to put a solid, productive third line on the ice. With or without Kessel on it. But none of that matters if the head coach insists on dumbing our lineup down with defense-first options like Sheahan on the third line and Carter Rowney on the fourth.

Sheahan has looked his best playing with Reaves on the fourth line since he arrived. This much is obvious. To all who can see, save for Sullivan.

I think we have more of a coaching issue right now than a roster issue.

Reactions: Andy99

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think Vegas' success has shown how massively important it is in the NHL today to have strong scoring from your depth lines if you want to succeed in the NHL. This isn't 2013-2014 anymore, where the Penguins dominated the league based on a dynamic top-6 and a bad bottom-6, that just doesn't work anymore. Last night showed what the 4th line could be with actually playing the best players and trying to have a good 4th line, they need to remember that and continue to build towards that.

There is too much emphasis on the fourth line, and not enough on the third imo. A fourth line of Rust-Sheahan-Reaves would rival and probably even supplant the Golden Knights' fourth line of Carrier-Bellemare-Lindberg/Nosek. Our fourth line has been good this season except when it was Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Reaves. Even when McKegg was centering Reaves they were effective.

I wouldn't read too much into last night. We played the least physical team in the NHL last night. Reaves will be important moving forward.

I do like the idea of trading for Kevan Miller, though. But as far as the forwards go, if we had a third-line center that added to the offense (or simply moved Guentzel there), then we would not have any issues playing Reaves on the fourth line.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Lewis has spend pretty much his whole NHL-career (8 seasons) on wing, right? So I don't see him being option as center as he's not even that on a team that has lacked true #3 C since Mike Richards' career went downhill.

Lewis has played all three forward positions during his career in LA, but he is not an offensive player and is not the solution for third-line center.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Lewis has played all three forward positions during his career in LA, but he is not an offensive player and is not the solution for third-line center.

Sure but I don't believe he's ever stuck any long stretch at C in his NHL career. So he's really not any more of an NHL center than Guentzel is. He can play that position if needed but it's not his main position.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If there was a deal for a sure fire center upgrade out there, JR would have pulled the trigger. Overpaid a bit to get it done ahead of the deadline and get some depth scoring in the lineup.

I’m expecting someone with a different skillset than Sheahan to compete with him for the 3C slot.

As the poster above mentioned, LWers look to be available and likely for under what the market would usually dictate. Go after one of them to to shore up your ES scoring and push a winger down the lineup.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The trade market seems to be filled with really good left wingers this year

Nash
Kane
Grabner
Patches
Hoffman

Because of the supply and demand thing these guys shouldn't be as expensive as they normally would.

Isn't Kane the only one who has to be moved by the deadline though?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Posts about practic don't belong in the salary cap thread. Please stay on topic. Thanks!

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Isn't Kane the only one who has to be moved by the deadline though?

I think Nash and Grabner will be dealt.

I guess the NYR could decide to keep them if they start winning, but i think that's unlikely.

If you read what the insiders say they make it seem like Hoffman is the most likely player to be dealt from Ottawa, but i guess they can wait if they choose.

Patches might be the one that doesn't get traded, but he seems to be available if the right offer happens.

If your a buyer for a LW right now you got lots of options which should drive the price down.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
but why? JPG is barely more offensive than Sheahan while being less defensive.
look, I am not going to pretend that I watch him every night, but from waht I saw last year, against us and in some play off games he is waaaaay better offesnsively than Sheahan, smooth hands, skating, are you kidding...you cannot compare his numbers on a demoralizing, tight checking Otawa team with what would player do in Pens uniform, IMO he would be awesome..

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
While these charts are helpful in seeing how players did with and without each other is speak more to the fit and success of the unit rather than one individual being a driver or passenger.
Not really. Every player he played with that year played better with him than without him except for the jabronis during the Johnston-era. When every "unit" Bonino was a part of became better wit him then it is safe to say that he was a driving reason for that and not a reason against it.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not really. Every player he played with that year played better with him than without him except for the jabronis during the Johnston-era. When every "unit" Bonino was a part of became better wit him then it is safe to say that he was a driving reason for that and not a reason against it.

But that doesn't mean he was driving it. Unless were are using some different definition of the word.

IMO Bonino biggest strength was how he allowed the players he was playing with to play to their game. IMO he was more of a passenger that allowed the drivers to drive resulting in more success than jammin square pegs, having too many cooks or any other expression.

Im not insinuating he lessened the effectiveness of any one individual or group.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
But that doesn't mean he was driving it. Unless were are using some different definition of the word.

IMO Bonino biggest strength was how he allowed the players he was playing with to play to their game. IMO he was more of a passenger that allowed the drivers to drive resulting in more success than jammin square pegs, having too many cooks or any other expression.

Im not insinuating he lessened the effectiveness of any one individual or group.
2015-2016 playoff 5v5 stats

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The thing with Sheahan is that he hasn't looked better with our better wingers. He doesn't seem to be able to lift his offensive game with the speed/skill players we have. He looks much better, maybe more comfortable or confident, playing with fourth line grinders. So in no way should he still be playing on the third line.
I don't know if we should be spending the assets on Pageau either, as I think it's speculative that he'd be a lot better as 3C--outside of some PO games, he's looked rather ordinary offensively at 3C . Unlike some other options we discussed like Brassard, Bozak....
Right now, I wish Sully would try internal options Dea, Haggerty (sign him already) etc at 3C, not 4C, and see if someone with more speed and offensive gifts than Sheahan sticks...

Disagree. He looked much better playing with guys who play a heavier/grindier style. Probably why he looked really good with Hornqvist on the wing.

I'm not sure there's enough time between now and the TD to actually do this and still be comfortable going into the POs with them if they look half decent.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I wouldn't read too much into last night. We played the least physical team in the NHL last night. Reaves will be important moving forward.

But as far as the forwards go, if we had a third-line center that added to the offense (or simply moved Guentzel there), then we would not have any issues playing Reaves on the fourth line.

And honestly? There were still times I missed Reaves.

Guentzel cannot be our #3C when healthy - he just can't. At least not this season. Maybe if the plan was to keep him there for a full year to let him learn it, maybe that would work. But in the small sample size, what we've seen is that he's better then Rowney, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad