Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Looking For Something Easy to Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not a big Letang fan. That's not to say he doesn't have a wealth of talent, he does. But he also makes some bonehead plays. More so than any elite caliber defensemen I can recall in the last twenty five years.

I also believe Shultz would do better in an expanded role, at least offensively. Again I don't see us moving Letang, but I sure don't believe it to be idiotic as long as there's fair value coming back.
what do you consider fair value? And we can't just trade him for a wing mid-season without adding a D.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm hesitant to dump Letang when he's at his lowest value. I can't imagine we get fair value for him.

I wouldn't consider trading him unless we would get fair value. And I certainly wouldn't just dump him. The Habs are in trouble and maybe they'd do something desperate, but beyond that you're right. I'm just spitballin a bit. ;)

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Niemi was a signing I would have made.
Did you watch him last year? I mean at all? This statement makes me second guess your general hockey knowledge. This wasn’t some unexpected drop off a cliff. You can’t argue hindsight here. Any objective fan could see this had a very real chance of not working out at all.

Reactions: EightyOne

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think him producing is enough to kind of have a GM take a flier on him, he may be at his lowest value at the moment, but I would rather see him moved now than trying to trade him in the off season when he's had a full year of this crap under his belt.

I would rather that cap space was spent to keep Horny and the rest to retain the rest of the players (moving Hagelin could be done with that and there would be enough cap space to pick up another solid defender).

I'd have to see the return I guess. I think he's still capable of being an elite defenseman. We'd have to think long and hard before moving on from him. For an elite winger like Patches or someone like that? I'd strongly consider it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
what do you consider fair value? And we can't just trade him for a wing mid-season without adding a D.

I mentioned we'd need a defensemen back in such a trade. But again, unless Montreal gets silly, they're probably not gonna engage us in any trade. We're far more likely gonna deal with FLA, BUF or if VGK would ever cool off, maybe them.

Rust and Maatta would be players that might entice and IMO are most expendable.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Did you watch him last year? I mean at all? This statement makes me second guess your general hockey knowledge. This wasn’t some unexpected drop off a cliff. You can’t argue hindsight here. Any objective fan could see this had a very real chance of not working out at all.
He cost 700k and was waived and claimed twice, he cost us nothing and that was why he was signed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't consider trading him unless we would get fair value. And I certainly wouldn't just dump him. The Habs are in trouble and maybe they'd do something desperate, but beyond that you're right. I'm just spitballin a bit. ;)

We honestly may never get fair value for Letang if this trend of his continues the rest of the season and next year. His game mentally is just crap, physically hes even slowed down a step.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He cost 700k and was waived and claimed twice, he cost us nothing and that was why he was signed.
And here we are and it’s almost December and we don’t have a veteran backup. Management wants Jarry playing regularly. So yes, the move didn’t hurt the team long term, but it’s just another area that wasn’t properly addressed this summer. We will have to make a deal during the season now and overpay compared to finding a real solution this past summer.

Much like most other things Jimmy tried this summer, this didn’t work and now it’s just another thing to deal with before the deadline.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We honestly may never get fair value for Letang if this trend of his continues the rest of the season and next year. His game mentally is just crap, physically hes even slowed down a step.

I think there's more hesitation in his game. He's too tenuous with the puck. He actually played a decent two or three games in a row but then reverted back to what we are seeing now. For the teams sake I hope he can round back into form.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mentioned we'd need a defensemen back in such a trade. But again, unless Montreal gets silly, they're probably not gonna engage us in any trade. We're far more likely gonna deal with FLA, BUF or if VGK would ever cool off, maybe them.

Rust and Maatta would be players that might entice and IMO are most expendable.

I'd hang on to Rust, he wouldn't be too hard to sign. Maatta I am on the fence on, I don't think he's going to develop any more than what he is currently.

Who should be on the chopping block?

Maatta - He doesn't fit Sullivan's uptempo style. Is it finally time?
Sheary - Signed to a decent deal, if he's moved, it's for an upgrade to the LW.
Letang - Everyone's whipping boy this year and he's rightfully earned that.
Hagelin - He's fast, but he can't score worth a damn anymore.

Those 4 combined are a cap hit of = 18.333m

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think there's more hesitation in his game. He's too tenuous with the puck. He actually played a decent two or three games in a row but then reverted back to what we are seeing now. For the teams sake I hope he can round back into form.

Here's why I think it'd be easy to move him.

His defense is crap, sure. But he's on pace for 58pts. A team that SUCKS for production from the back end will take a chance on him, his production is in line for his cap hit, his defense is where most of us are stuck with him at wanting him gone as this team needs a better leader in that regard making that kind of money.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think the pieces in play are Sheary, Maatta, Hagelin, and all picks and prospects.

Main needs are center, upgrade at left wing and possibly a depth defenseman and back up goalie depending on who is moved.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd hang on to Rust, he wouldn't be too hard to sign. Maatta I am on the fence on, I don't think he's going to develop any more than what he is currently.

Who should be on the chopping block?

Maatta - He doesn't fit Sullivan's uptempo style. Is it finally time?
Sheary - Signed to a decent deal, if he's moved, it's for an upgrade to the LW.
Letang - Everyone's whipping boy this year and he's rightfully earned that.
Hagelin - He's fast, but he can't score worth a damn anymore.

Those 4 combined are a cap hit of = 18.333m

I agree wholeheartedly on Maatta. The reason I mentioned Rust is his salary and the fact that he goes long stretches without producing. IF FLA wants to dump salary but get a decent asset coming back and a proven NHL commodity, Rust fits the bill. Also from a Pens perspective we are deepest at RW. Moving Rust would open up a spot potentially for Sprong.

Hagelin has very little value. If you package him With Rust or Maatta then maybe you can get away with it. But he's been terrible this season.

We have Guentzel and Sheary on LW, if I'm moving Sheary then we need to think about the hole we'd create on the left side. With Rust, that wouldn't be the case IMO. And it's not that I want to get rid of Rust I'm just thinking relative to salary and our depth. He and Maatta seem like viable options for both the pens and potential trade partners.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

His defense is crap, sure. But he's on pace for 58pts. A team that SUCKS for production from the back end will take a chance on him, his production is in line for his cap hit, his defense is where most of us are stuck with him at wanting him gone as this team needs a better leader in that regard making that kind of money.

If we could move him and get a decent return I'd do it in a second. I hope for it by I doubt it greatly. TBH I don't think he'd waive his NTC, maybe for Montreal, which is why I just threw it out there. But is Montreal that desperate? And does Letang want all the added pressure to play in Montreal?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We are solid on both wings with probably a bit more flexibility on the right side. On paper our defense looks good, in actuality not so much. But Maatta is perceived to be a top four with a very reasonable cap hit long term. He's young so the potential is there for him to get even better. Or so we hope. And if other GM's view him in a similar way, he'd make a nice trade chip, and one I believe we can afford to part with.

I'd be curious to see what a package of Maatta, Rust and Hagelin would bring back. A center and a depth defender? That's about nine million in salary going out. We can take back close to 11 million in that case.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly on Maatta. The reason I mentioned Rust is his salary and the fact that he goes long stretches without producing. IF FLA wants to dump salary but get a decent asset coming back and a proven NHL commodity, Rust fits the bill. Also from a Pens perspective we are deepest at RW. Moving Rust would open up a spot potentially for Sprong.

Hagelin has very little value. If you package him With Rust or Maatta then maybe you can get away with it. But he's been terrible this season.

We have Guentzel and Sheary on LW, if I'm moving Sheary then we need to think about the hole we'd create on the left side. With Rust, that wouldn't be the case IMO. And it's not that I want to get rid of Rust I'm just thinking relative to salary and our strengths He and Maatta seem like viable options for both the pens and potential trade partners.

Well the depth on the right side should be (in order) Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust, then one of Archibald/Reaves/Rowney. But the team recently has decided to put Horny back with Sid, the problem is more the left side I think.

Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl. The last 2 can't produce worth a damn. At least Horny, Kessel, and Rust are able to produce SOMETHING at some point. Hags & Kuhn are horrible, it's bizarre that DiPauli or ZAR haven't been called up, barring injuries to either of those two.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You mean like the Pittsburgh Penguins?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well the depth on the right side should be (in order) Hornqvist, Kessel, Rust, then one of Archibald/Reaves/Rowney. But the team recently has decided to put Horny back with Sid, the problem is more the left side I think.

Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Kuhnhackl. The last 2 can't produce worth a damn. At least Horny, Kessel, and Rust are able to produce SOMETHING at some point. Hags & Kuhn are horrible, it's bizarre that DiPauli or ZAR haven't been called up, barring injuries to either of those two.

See, that's exactly why I would be leery of trading Sheary. Not that he's untouchable, but we only have two guys playing LW we can somewhat count on.

If your top six includes Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Guentzel, Sheary and either Hornqvist or Sprong. That's a lot of skill and other than Sprong a lot of proven players. So I'd try and construct the team by filling out the roster around that group. I think Rust and Maatta can bring back a decent package. We could add a Hagelin or some such depth player for salary cap reasons.

If we do such a trade, we trade assets that aren't IMO integral to the teams long term success. Rust is our third best RW. And While Maatta should be considered a top four guy. We still have enough IMO to offset his loss. Especially if we can pick up a depth defender or rental. We'd be trading from depth without necessarily creating a hole. That I believe (ideally) is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig