Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Looking For Something Easy to Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kirk, do you think sully/JR are pleased with Reaves? Is there any scenario where he isn't a regular on the team?

I don't think Sully is a fan. Can't speak for JR. Don't know if there's a scenario where he isn't on the team or in the lineup.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
For better or worse, JR is the best horse trader in hockey. He will give to get and not only make a deal if another GM will take his crap for their good stuff. He will take a risk, he'll pay more than other GM's, and he judges a deal based on whether it makes his team better rather than if he 'wins' (as the hockey watching world defines it).

The timing as to when stuff is about to get real gets sooner and sooner with each passing Pens game.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
For better or worse, JR is the best horse trader in hockey. He will take a risk, he'll pay more than other GM's, and he judges a deal based on whether it makes his team better rather than if he 'wins' (as the hockey watching world defines it).

The timing as to when stuff is about to get real gets sooner and sooner with each passing Pens game.
Well hopefully he improves his ability of picking horses. So far the horses he’s acquired should be sent to Elmer’s glue factory.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know man. Shit stinks and it's not washing off.

I'm just gonna patiently wait and hope JR works his magic, but he's gotta do something. This isn't a "wait it out" situation, imo.

Reactions: EightyOne

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sheahan and Reaves,,..,anyone else?
Niemi???

Lack of quality horses I guess as well. I.e. McKegg was likely signed as a depth AHL player but because we don’t have any other horses he continues to play. Jimmy keeping Kuhn around even though he should be taken behind the stables and be put down.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think we need to hope for FLA to keep falling. If the rumblings of them wanting to cut salary are true, maybe a guy like Bjugstad might be available in a few weeks.

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Niemi???

Lack of quality horses I guess as well. I.e. McKegg was likely signed as a depth AHL player but because we don’t have any other horses he continues to play. Jimmy keeping Kuhn around even though he should be taken behind the stables and be put down.
Niemi and Mckegg were cheap fill in placeholders. McKegg as Cullen insurance. Niemi was a signing I would have made. The salary cap puts limits on signings and there were no real gems in free agency anyway. We know we need a trade and to fill spots. JR has known this since the summer and made it public that we may have wait until the season to find our guy(s). Duchene didn't work out.

Compounding the problem is that the team is hung over and it was noticeable since the start. We have reason to be concerned and change is needed, but the worse thing to do now is to make the wrong move.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
We need to find the problem and address it.

Problems:
1.Depth Scoring
2.Stars not showing up
3.Coaching

Solutions:
1. Trade for another center whether it be a 3rd or 4th liner using futures/Hagelin. Add a top 6-9 wing to push back Sheary/Rust/Hornqvist using futures/Hagelin.
2. Get a leader in the room. One of the center/wing we get has to be a leader.
3. Hire D’ontelli(WBS coach), Promote Gonchar, Demote Reechi and Martin. Hiring D’ontelli allows us to call up WBS guys.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sprong, Jarry, 18' 2nd, Hags for Pacioeretty

Yes/no ?

We're pretty strong on wing. I wouldn't be opposed to going after Patches necessarily, but Center is a far more pressing need.

If somehow we could get a deal centering around Letang and Patches plus a depth defender I'd certainly consider it, but again I don't see us trading Letang.

Reactions: BlackAndGold87

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
If we dump Letang is can only really be to throw the kitchen sink at Doughty. Or 1 / 2 pieces that make up a steady D line.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
it would also be idiotic to trade Letang for Patches.

I'm not a big Letang fan. That's not to say he doesn't have a wealth of talent, he does. But he also makes some bonehead plays. More so than any elite caliber defensemen I can recall in the last twenty five years.

I also believe Shultz would do better in an expanded role, at least offensively. Again I don't see us moving Letang, but I sure don't believe it to be idiotic as long as there's fair value coming back.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm hesitant to dump Letang when he's at his lowest value. I can't imagine we get fair value for him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Sully is a fan. Can't speak for JR. Don't know if there's a scenario where he isn't on the team or in the lineup.

I think at best, if there was a better option to rotate in (there is), Reaves should be sitting for some of the games here and there. JR really really likes Reaves though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm hesitant to dump Letang when he's at his lowest value. I can't imagine we get fair value for him.

I think him producing is enough to kind of have a GM take a flier on him, he may be at his lowest value at the moment, but I would rather see him moved now than trying to trade him in the off season when he's had a full year of this crap under his belt.

I would rather that cap space was spent to keep Horny and the rest to retain the rest of the players (moving Hagelin could be done with that and there would be enough cap space to pick up another solid defender).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad