Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Looking For Something Easy to Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I will emphatically disagree with bringing in another mediocre 4th line center. I would bet my house that doesn't happen.

Guess it's a good thing Sheahan isn't a "mediocre 4th line center".

Edit. I see you were talking about Richardson. But then he too isn't a "mediocre 4th line center". In fact he would be an excellent 4th line center.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
So you just ignored everything I said? Okay. :laugh:

I can provide all of the stats to show Sheahan is a 3C in all parts of his game minus goal scoring, but if you've already decided he's not an no amount of evidence is going to change your mind, there's really nothing I can do. If he was scoring goals at a 3C level, the Penguins probably wouldn't have him and another team would have a probably good 3C.
no, I didn't ignore what you said at all. The last thing this team needs is another Sheahan and he is a 4th line center.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Edit. I see you were talking about Richardson. But then he too isn't a "mediocre 4th line center". In fact he would be an excellent 4th line center.
Well let's get 4 of them then. It's Black Friday and shit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Since all I did was explain the stats, here's what his stats look like so far in Pittsburgh for anyone who was curious:

Offensive stats:

Games: 15
Goals: 1
Assists: 4 (3 primary, 1 secondary)
ES points/60: 1.36 (Bonino in Pittsburgh was at 1.76 ES points/60 and Sutter was at 1.28 points/60, for comparison)

Possession stats:

CF%: 52.40%
CF%Rel: -0.4%

Defensive stats:

ES GA/60: 1.94
ES CA/60: 54.74 (this is good especially considering Sheahan's zone starts, Crosby this year is at 62.98 CA/60 and Malkin is at 59.29 CA/60 for comparison)
ES High Danger CA/60: 10.04 (this is good especially considering Sheahan's zone starts, Crosby this year is at 13,27 HDCA/60 and Malkin is at 11.61 HDCA/60 for comparison)
Zone starts: 34.44% offensive zone start, 65.66% defensive zone start
ES Faceoff%: 57.06% (I don't think I need a comparison to tell you how good that is)

Special teams stats:

SH CA per minute: 1.85 (basically the same that Cullen did on the PK last year, Cullen was at 1.89 SH CA per minute and Bonino was at 1.62)
SH HDCA per minute: 0.542 (little bit worse than what both Cullen and Bonino did last year, both were at about 0.38 SH HDCA per minute)
SH Faceoff%: 43.33% (Bonino and Cullen were both actually worse than this last year somehow, Bonino was closest at 40.82% and Cullen was at 39.89%)

Stats taken from here. I will let anyone draw any conclusions they want from this, these are mine:

1. Sheahan is doing great defensively in a very heavy defensive role.
2. Sheahan's possession stats are very good considering the very defensive role he has been put in so far.
3. Sheahan has done fine on the PK. He's giving up more high danger chances on the PK than you'd ideally like, but I think you can relate that to the team as a whole. His numbers aren't much worse than Rust's numbers while PKing, and I think Rust is a fine PKer.
4. Sheahan is where he should be at with getting assists and his points/60 is already better than what the Penguins have had in Sutter, but I want to see him get more goals so he's closer to Bonino's points/60. If he would have 1 more ES goal at this point, he'd be at 1.71 ES points/60, which is a 3C points/60.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Since all I did was explain the stats, here's what his stats look like so far in Pittsburgh for anyone who was curious:

Offensive stats:

ES points/60: 1.36 (Bonino in Pittsburgh was at 1.76 ES points/60 and Sutter was at 1.28 points/60, for comparison)

Possession stats:

Defensive stats:

ES CA/60: 54.74 (this is good especially considering Sheahan's zone starts, Crosby this year is at 62.98 CA/60 and Malkin is at 59.29 CA/60 for comparison)
ES High Danger CA/60: 10.04 (this is good especially considering Sheahan's zone starts, Crosby this year is at 13,27 HDCA/60 and Malkin is at 11.61 HDCA/60 for comparison)
ES Faceoff%: 57.06% (I don't think I need a comparison to tell you how good that is)

Special teams stats:

SH CA per minute: 1.85 (basically the same that Cullen did on the PK last year, Cullen was at 1.89 SH CA per minute and Bonino was at 1.62)
SH HDCA per minute: 0.542 (little bit worse than what both Cullen and Bonino did last year, both were at about 0.38 SH HDCA per minute)
SH Faceoff%: 43.33% (Bonino and Cullen were both actually worse than this last year somehow, Bonino was closest at 40.82% and Cullen was at 39.89%)

Stats taken from here. I will let anyone draw any conclusions they want from this, these are mine:

2. Sheahan's possession stats are very good considering the very defensive role he has been put in so far.
3. Sheahan has done fine on the PK. He's giving up more high danger chances on the PK than you'd ideally like, but I think you can relate that to the team as a whole. His numbers aren't much worse than Rust's numbers while PKing, and I think Rust is a fine PKer.
4. Sheahan is where he should be at with getting assists and his points/60 is already better than what the Penguins have had in Sutter, but I want to see him get more goals so he's closer to Bonino's points/60. If he would have 1 more ES goal at this point, he'd be at 1.71 ES points/60, which is a 3C points/60.

How long would we have to wait for that goal ;)

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Offensive stats:

Possession stats:

Defensive stats:

Special teams stats:

He needs to be able to put the puck in the net with a goalie in the net. Plain and simple.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How long would we have to wait for that goal ;)

He needs to be able to put the puck in the net with a goalie in the net. Plain and simple.

Yeah, that's really the issue with his game, he can't score goals. You need an asinine amount of assists to compensate for not scoring goals like Sheahan has. That is a legitimate issue with his game. However, that's also the only legitimate issue with his game. If he figures that out, and that's a really damn big if, he would be a good 3C without a doubt. With his defensive game, his playmaking talent and his PKing ability, getting 10 goals in a season would firmly place him as a 3C based on what he has done in Pittsburgh so far. It's just can he even get that many goals?

I think his goal scoring issues come from 3 things: he doesn't get to prime goal scoring areas, he doesn't take enough shots and he's playing with a pass first mentality so far in Pittsburgh. He has a hard shot, I think many people have noticed that here. However, you're not going to score on a NHL goalie by taking a hard wrist shot from the top of the circles unless you're Alex Ovechkin. He's not Alex Ovechkin obviously :laugh:

For him to score more goals, he needs to get better playmaking from his wingers and he needs to get into areas where he can score goals. He has done that some, but not enough.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I wonder if there’s a cheap, veteran leader, C who’s playing on a struggling team. See Eric Staal. He’s my new pipe dream of a 3C.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Yeah, that's really the issue with his game, he can't score goals. You need an asinine amount of assists to compensate for not scoring goals like Sheahan has. That is a legitimate issue with his game. However, that's also the only legitimate issue with his game. If he figures that out, and that's a really damn big if, he would be a good 3C without a doubt. With his defensive game, his playmaking talent and his PKing ability, getting 10 goals in a season would firmly place him as a 3C based on what he has done in Pittsburgh so far. It's just can he even get that many goals?
I’ll give him 20 more games on that goal scoring. Figure it out or play 4C. I’d love Spooner.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe Sully should give Sheahan a heavy dose of offensive zone starts and Geno and Kessel more Dzone starts.

Why would they do that though? Sheahan's big attribute is being great defensively, that's the biggest thing he brings in the 3C spot. His offensive issues are basically solely related to goal scoring issues, which aren't majorly caused by him getting heavy Dzone draws.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Why would they do that though? Sheahan's big attribute is being great defensively, that's the biggest thing he brings in the 3C spot. His offensive issues are basically solely related to goal scoring issues, which aren't majorly caused by him getting heavy Dzone draws.
I am not sold at all on Sheahan being this defensive wizard penalty killing stud. Our PK sucks. And even if he is, he is still a 4C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Exactly. People will continue to try to pile on stats to glorify any player, but I’m just not impressed with Sheahan’s offensive play. He might be able to improve upon it though. He’s just so slow and it takes him so long to shoot the puck if he decides to even shoot. He’s playing with some very talented players right now. He has to start scoring some goals.

I just don’t know why people can’t admit he’s a 4C and has been over the last 2 years. Maybe he improves but as of today, he’s a solid 4C.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am not sold at all on Sheahan being this defensive wizard penalty killing stud. Our PK sucks. And even if he is, he is still a 4C.

Okay well that's just you ignoring the stats then. You can say "I am not sold" all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the stats say he's a fine PKer and he's excellent defensively.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Considering how much Hockey many of these guys have played, beyond the physical fatigue, they have to be spent mentally. Winning back to back is a great achievement. Eventually though, you can get worn down. Particularly when you're the hunted and everybody tries to take their best shot against you.

That doesn't excuse everything, particularly Letangs ineptitude, but it is a contributing factor. After monday they'll have three days off. Hopefully Sully let's them recharge a bit.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^ If there is one solid thing about mental/physical fatigue, i'm extremely happy it hit the team in October/November as opposed to May or June of last year. That's for damn sure.

They can still salvage this year and make a run. We all know that. But boy it doesn't look convincing on the ice.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We're in the middle of our seventh back to back, and next weeks home and home against the Sabres will make eight I believe. The Schedule has been absolutely brutal. When you factor everything in it's really a tall hill to climb. An the accumulation of all these games on top of these long playoff runs can't help but wear them down. Now that doesn't excuse all of their faults and frailties, but it should be considered.

The positives here are that the schedule is about to ease up in regards to quality of opponent and travel. We have 19 back to backs, the most of any team. Conversely Tampa has 11 or 12. Just sayin.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Tampa also played last night this time, so we cant use that excuse if we lose

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
TB at the moment looks like the team to beat in the east, and for good reason. However it's hard to be THAT dominant all season and still win a cup.

And every year that we've made serious runs and even won the cup we have had massive obstacles to overcome. Lemieuxs health, Graves Slash, Crosby injured in game seven in 2009, down 3-2 to TB in 2016. Losing Murray before game one in 2017 and no Letang at all during that run. There's other examples I could give, and most any champ has to overcome some obstacles. But we've done so in a lot of cases where we were counted out. I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be in Tampas position currently, but it's damn hard to be that good from start to finish. That's why teams like PIT and WAS this season could be scary.

You can't win the cup now, but you got to hang in there and not fall to far off the pace. Maybe we'll pull off an upset tonight. In any case let's just take it one game at a time and try to keep the faith. Unless or until we get eliminated we're still the champs!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wonder if there’s a cheap, veteran leader, C who’s playing on a struggling team. See Eric Staal. He’s my new pipe dream of a 3C.

Sucks he has that extra year cuz JR could easily go after him in FA'y if the cap goes to 80M.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not saying JR should shop Letang but if someone offers him something good, be open to the possibility rather than just saying he's not available.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tampa also played last night this time, so we cant use that excuse if we lose

We couldn't use that excuse no matter what. Canucks beat the flyers the night before they jobbed us so hard, Murray was rattled with some bizarre lucky comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia