Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links not yet in First Post | Trade Deadline 2.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The presence of Guerin as heir apparent is the only thing preventing me from changing my username to FIRE JR.
By the time Guerin takes over, it will be the final stages of the Crosby/Malkin era. Might as well let Guerin run us straight into the ground and get himself fired so we get another lottery pick to build the ship back up again.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
By the time Guerin takes over, it will be the final stages of the Crosby/Malkin era. Might as well let Guerin run us straight into the ground and get himself fired so we get another lottery pick to build the ship back up again.

Probably, although I do wonder IF there's an early exit (1st round or even the bad 4-1 or 4-2 in round 2) if we get some ugly anonymous sniping between Camp JR and Camp Sully this summer.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Probably, although I do wonder IF there's an early exit (1st round or even the bad 4-1 or 4-2 in round 2) if we get some ugly anonymous sniping between Camp JR and Camp Sully this summer.
I'm not sure how patient Mario will be with that. He knows this window isn't getting any bigger.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Fact is that Jimmy’s tenure was a wretched failure before Sully came here. Aside from some people who’ve always hated Sullivan’s personality I can’t imagine anybody siding with Rutherford if that happens. Maybe Morehouse.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Oh, we all KNOW it will be . . . :laugh:

I can see it now.. second round. Game 7. Pens down by 1. Empty net. Letang wrists one in, there’s a scramble in front, golden scoring chance but the puck kicks out, Hags tracks it down and fires home an empty netter to seal the deal.

Caps move on and end up going back to back, and we have to deal with “Is Ovechkin Better Than Crosby?” articles from The Athletic all summer.

Reactions: Turin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can see it now.. second round. Game 7. Pens down by 1. Empty net. Letang wrists one in, there’s a scramble in front, golden scoring chance but the puck kicks out, Hags tracks it down and fires home an empty netter to seal the deal.

Caps move on and end up going back to back, and we have to deal with “Is Ovechkin Better Than Crosby?” articles from The Athletic all summer.

Oh no. That's not good enough.

I have visions of Hags blowing by Jack Johnson en route to scoring the game winner in the deciding game.

And that will be the last we ever hear from @ColePens, who will lose his **** permanently.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Had a meeting with myself and Rutherford got a vote of no confidence. Course of action now is crossing my arms and sit back watching how it unfolds.

It's not only Jack Johnson, Rutherford's not exactly been doing much good for quite some time. He keeps shuffling the forwards and nobody he brings in seems to be a fit. Does he have a plan whatsoever or just wings it as he goes along?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not sure how patient Mario will be with that. He knows this window isn't getting any bigger.

We'll see. Let's just say IF this one goes south because JR doubles down on this flawed roster and Sully refuses to adjust at all, it won't be pretty.

Fact is that Jimmy’s tenure was a wretched failure before Sully came here. Aside from some people who’ve always hated Sullivan’s personality I can’t imagine anybody siding with Rutherford if that happens. Maybe Morehouse.

Sullivan has his own warts.

But, my bigger fear is that I want no part of Guerin, (a) because he's a nightmare in the making and (b) because he and his fellow Boston boy are buddies, and I'm not necessarily sure how constructive that is.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Had a meeting with myself and Rutherford got a vote of no confidence. Course of action now is crossing my arms and sit back watching how it unfolds.

It's not only Jack Johnson, Rutherford's not exactly been doing much good for quite some time. He keeps shuffling the forwards and nobody he brings in seems to be a fit. Does he have a plan whatsoever or just wings it as he goes along?

For me it is basically Jack Johnson. Everything else you can chalk up to minor misses that happen to most GMs. This doubling down on arrogance regarding the JJ contract is embarrassing and to me suggests that winning is no longer the main plot.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
For me it is basically Jack Johnson. Everything else you can chalk up to minor misses that happen to most GMs. This doubling down on arrogance regarding the JJ contract is embarrassing and to me suggests that winning is no longer the main plot.

Oh come on dude.

Reactions: pistolpete11

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Murray has been disrespected enough by both the fans of this franchise and the front office. As a young two-time cup winner, I'd only take so much bull**** before drawing my line. He also only makes slightly more than JMFJ does. It's not like we're paying 10.5M to Carey Price to be our savior /active piece of the defense. Murray's play far exceeds both what we're paying him, and what hot-garbage has been played in front of him. Hey- young goalie: We're going to ice the league-worst defense for 5 months and expect you to carry a .925 save percentage. Oh, we're also only going to get 1-2 goals per game so you're gonna need to be perfect every night. That's fair JR.

That being said, he hasn't been great.

Tbf the Pens score the 4th most in the league and 2nd in the east.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
We'll see. Let's just say IF this one goes south because JR doubles down on this flawed roster and Sully refuses to adjust at all, it won't be pretty.
No, but it will be a hell of a fun shit show to read on these boards.

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If things do go sideways and there is internal blood letting, then I'd back Sully before Rutherford but suspect the contract situations is the org's answer. But I think he's got the better vision for the Pens. Rutherford has executed his new one pretty badly and I dunno if he'll fix it.

Eh idk. I think it’s an off ice move mostly. More the “A” and less the style of his play. Rewarding a lifer guy for being a good pro and in return expect him to continue that, especially with even more rookies coming in next year.

Fits in with the other AHL moves they made (wasn’t the one with Ottawa/Belleville mostly made because Elliot/Lindbergh were messing around off the ice?).

I’m totally speculating, but Guerin is just ensuring the culture is strong imo. I think that’s good for the youth. I just really doubt that it’s a signal of an organizational shift towards physical hockey.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015

Minor misses sure, but too many. Actually most/all of them have been minor misses the past year or more.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hagelin hasn't been an offensive player in years. Not too worried about him going to the Caps if that's the case.

Don't think he's a great fit there either.

Reactions: Riptide

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, but it will be a hell of a fun **** show to read on these boards.

tenor.gif

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I know everyones dismal but I think the Pens are a middle pairing defenseman and a middle 6 forward away from being on the right page.

That achievable. Maybe the defense gets a plug and the winger can be masked by a fill in... or someone get hot... Or Teddy B just finds his notch...

Right now ZARs looking fantastic with Malkin. Like a mean version of Feds.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
JJ is gonna make everyone eat crow come playoffs. Bank on it.

My main, grasping-at-straws, hope is that JJ will be able to take full advantage of the lack of whistles in the post-season, a la Hal Gill, and just go full on clutch-and-grab while he's on the ice.

Otherwise, opposing teams are just going to target him for zone entries every single shift he's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad