Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links not yet in First Post | Trade Deadline 2.25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
biwa6tP.png

Mods, feel free to update my post.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Riptide said:
No that doesn't. Grant being here allowed TB to work on his offensive game, something that prior to this season was fine in the AHL, but also wasn't anything special. That alone was a good thing for TB and for us.

That’s not true, sorry.

TB was thrust into a more offensive role last season and tripled his goal scoring. JR admitted he was ready to start this season, but there was “no room”.

Guess why there was no room...

JR botched that signing and it screwed TB over and TB got frustrated. Pretty much reality.

Now TB is trying to secure a roster spot he would have already nailed down months ago if Grant wasn’t brought in.

Not sure how anyone can say it was a good signing when the guy blocked TB, wasn’t a gritty guy like they believed, and he didn’t even finish out the season.

It was a mistake, it’s ok to admit that.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That’s not true, sorry.

TB was thrust into a more offensive role last season and tripled his goal scoring. JR admitted he was ready to start this season, but there was “no room”.

JR botched that signing and it screwed TB over and TB got frustrated. Pretty much reality.

Now TB is trying to secure a roster spot he would have already nailed down months ago if Grant wasn’t brought in.

Not sure how anyone can say it was a good signing when the guy blocked TB, wasn’t a gritty guy like they believed, and he didn’t even finish out the season.

Grant was the 13F. Putting Blueger in that position would have been a bad idea. Grant was a perfectly serviceable player C/W that was signed for league minimum. Even if you didn't like him, calling that a mistake is nitpicking the most minor of mistakes.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That’s not true, sorry.

JR has only signed trash players over the last 2 years.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR got the warrior helmet today. I want whatever gatorade they are drinking.
Seriously????

Thanks for constructing this roster, Jimmy! Every game is a struggle thanks to you! I guess 20% of the roster is just happy having a job in the NHL. Here is to you, gramps.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That’s not true, sorry.

The second he wanted there to be room, there was room.

Its that simple. The waived Grant on at least one i think 2 seperate occasions. He wasnt blocking anyone.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Grant was the 13F. Putting Blueger in that position would have been a bad idea. Grant was a perfectly serviceable player C/W that was signed for league minimum. Even if you didn't like him, calling that a mistake is nitpicking the most minor of mistakes.

Grant played in 25 games, which would have been plenty of valuable time for TB to find a role.

And it’s not nitpicking, as this discussion is spun off of a much larger post pointing out JR’s missteps the last two years and this was an example of him poorly evaluating a player. Grant was a bad signing that now has a young guy still on the roster bubble, and what bothers me more than that, he scouted this player very poorly believing him to be a physicial presence. Just like he believed JJ was an offensive defenseman.

That’s worrisome, even if people want to bury their heads in the sand about it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Now try to undo the mess you've made of the last 18 months and go out and add a top 4 defenseman to play with Schultz and a middle 9 LW who can play with Malkin if Plan ZAR doesn't pan out.
Do we realistically even have the assets to accomplish that? I tend to doubt it. I could see a depth defender and maybe a 2hd line LW, that might be doable.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Do we realistically even have the assets to accomplish that? I tend to doubt it. I could see a depth defender and maybe a 2hd line LW, that might be doable.
Or grab Zuc (asking price was a 2nd+prospect) at 50% and put Rust at Malkins LW, then trade Maatta+1st+Addison for Fowler.

Jake-Crosby-Zuc
Rust-Malkin-Kessel

Dumo-Letang
Fowler-Schultz

^ Play the living f*** out of that top 4 and don't give much time for the 3rd pairing so we limit JJ's f***ery bleeding us goals.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yes, we realistically have the assets to accomplish that.

And, I think JR is willing to spend them.

The real question is WHO he targets, especially given his track record the last 18 months.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Or grab Zuc (asking price was a 2nd+prospect) at 50% and put Rust at Malkins LW, then trade Maatta+1st+Addison for Fowler.

Jake-Crosby-Zuc
Rust-Malkin-Kessel

Dumo-Letang
Fowler-Schultz

^ Play the living **** out of that top 4 and don't give much time for the 3rd pairing so we limit JJ's ****ery bleeding us goals.

One can debate whether the Pens should spend those assets or target those names, but this makes it clear the Pens do have the pieces to address their two big needs.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Now try to undo the mess you've made of the last 18 months and go out and add a top 4 defenseman to play with Schultz and a middle 9 LW who can play with Malkin if Plan ZAR doesn't pan out.
Who should I trade for and who goes out before the deadline? Give an example.
th

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Grant played in 25 games, which would have been plenty of valuable time for TB to find a role.
That's just the way it worked out, though. He could have just as easily ended up getting next to zero games. But there were injuries and he stepped out of the press box for a few stretches. That's what 13F do.

Reactions: Riptide

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What about the other parts?

Muzzin.

Oh yeah, JR was sleeping.

Probably Martinez is the guy I'd target. Same hit as Olli. But, I was on the Muzzin train 2 months ago with a few others here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia