Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Jarry could end up better than Murray but frankly he isn’t now and it make no sense to have him backlogged... move him before the expansion draft or waivers get him

He could be but it’s still a longer shot. We won’t find out here anyway. Jarry might stay the season but definitely gone by summer.

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The issue is the timeline. We would need to sign Stone or Skinner first, then trade Kessel. If we don't, we stand to risk out on getting one of the FAs and not having Kessel because we already traded him. Which means those draft picks are 2020 picks. Which means it's likely 2023/24 before they're making an impact in the NHL... which puts Crosby and Malkin into their late 30s (36/37). And that's only if they make an impact and do not bust.

The draft picks, yes...but they could get prospects too that are ready or nearly ready for the NHL...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I didn't see a proposals thread here so I assumed this what you guys use for that stuff...

Anyway, with Desmith being inked to a steal of an extension then Jarry has to be available right?

In Edmonton both our goalies are UFA's at the end of the year and Jarry's an ex Oil King. Could there be a trade here? I'm sure we would be interested, what would you guys want?

I'll start off with Rieder + pick
A fast pk lw for the 3rd line that would fit in with your speedy playstyle. RFA at the end of the year. Add a pick if you need to.

That or they plan to trade a signed DeSmith. However given how favorable his contract is, I'd imagine that they'll be moving Jarry. Either way given that Jarry needs waivers next season, one of them will almost certainly be traded this spring/summer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The draft picks, yes...but they could get prospects too that are ready or nearly ready for the NHL...

Even KK took 4 seasons after the trade to Toronto to be an impact player/be anything other than marginal depth. And he was part of a deal for a 28 yr old Kessel. Yes we might not just get picks... but I think in general people are vastly overstating what we'd get and how soon we'd see those players (picks/prospects/etc) making an impact on this team.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, or that it's a bad idea (to get an FA and trade Kessel for assets), just that I don't think most people have a realistic grasp on the timeline those prospects/picks will take to actually help us. And of course that's assuming that they make it as NHLer's (which is always a risk in and of itself).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Jarry to Carolina for Ferland is about as predictable of a trade as a 2nd for Hainsey in 2017 was, so I'm fully expecting that to happen within a month.

Pens would have to make an additional move to fit him under the cap. But I agree.

Unless I completely forget how the cap works.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pens would have to make an additional move to fit him under the cap. But I agree.

Unless I completely forget how the cap works.

They can probably bring him in right now and worry about the cap once Schultz gets back. He only makes like $1.75 million, so I have a feeling it may be pretty easy to fit him in.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
They can probably bring him in right now and worry about the cap once Schultz gets back. He only makes like $1.75 million, so I have a feeling it may be pretty easy to fit him in.

Yeah, I think you are correct.

Pittsburgh Penguins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
$4,623,333
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Capfriendly estimates us finishing 117K under the cap at the end of the season so we’d have to move someone out to fit him in. We need a buffer after the deadline for injury callups too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Capfriendly estimates us finishing 117K under the cap at the end of the season so we’d have to move someone out to fit him in. We need a buffer after the deadline for injury callups too.

You can get pretty close to fitting in Ferland by just demoting Riikola and Grant. I think that's a moderately reasonably scenario, the only one being more likely is trading Sheahan IMO.

I don't think it's worth using Capfriendly to judge the Penguins cap, it's so convoluted that fan run websites just can't do it. I think it's easy to say that Ferland makes so little money that the Penguins could pretty easily fit him in, regardless of whether they make a trade or not.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
You can get pretty close to fitting in Ferland by just demoting Riikola and Grant. I think that's a moderately reasonably scenario, the only one being more likely is trading Sheahan IMO.

Just fitting in isn’t a good choice though. Grant is already in because of injury and Riikola going down means we have 6D so I imagine someone goes to bring anyone in. Sheahan makes sense

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just fitting in isn’t a good choice though. Grant is already in because of injury and Riikola going down means we have 6D so I imagine someone goes to bring anyone in. Sheahan makes sense

We only have 6 D with Riikola sent down? We have 8 D right now and that will become 9 when Schultz is back. Just demoting Riikola and waiving/trading Ruhwedel gets you really close to the $1.75 million cap hit Ferland has, plus there is the option of salary retention.

I mostly agree though, Sheahan out seems to be the most likely scenario. I just think they could make it work without trading Sheahan if they really wanted to keep him. I don't know why you would want to keep Sheahan, especially with Crosby and Guentzel starting to PK a lot more, I just think you can if you want to.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We only have 6 D with Riikola sent down? We have 8 D right now and that will become 9 when Schultz is back. Just demoting Riikola and waiving/trading Ruhwedel gets you really close to the $1.75 million cap hit Ferland has, plus there is the option of salary retention.

I mostly agree though, Sheahan out seems to be the most likely scenario. I just think they could make it work without trading Sheahan if they really wanted to keep him. I don't know why you would want to keep Sheahan, especially with Crosby and Guentzel starting to PK a lot more, I just think you can if you want to.

Forgot about Ruh :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ferland is alright. Not much better than Pearson but is more physical. His parents spelled his name wrong though, so that bothers me.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah doing the math quickly, you can hit the cap you need by demoting Ruhwedel, Riikola and Grant while bringing in Ferland. You'd only have a 22 man roster, but you would end up running with say:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Ferland-Brassard-Kessel
Sheahan/ZAR-Cullen-Simon
ZAR/Sheahan

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
Oleksiak

I'm pretty sure this lineup falls under the cap, but it's a legitimate question if it's worth keeping Sheahan to be the borderline 12th/13th forward at $2.1 million. Trading Sheahan and running with a 23 man roster is probably the better option, but if they're scared of potential injuries for a top-9 forward and want Sheahan as insurance, I could see them pushing to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad